Where are you willing to carry a little more weight?

wyelkhunter

Lil-Rokslider
for me it is my BA insulcore pad. thick warm and confy. A good noght sleeping does more for me than anything . I uaually pack plenty of food too.

flytrait

Lil-Rokslider
+1 on the cope. If I ran out in the backcountry I would just pack up and head out. Because of this issue that I have, I have back ups to back ups!

Moe.JKU

FNG
Its good to see i'm not the only one with a addiction that would make the trip painful if I ran out. 1/2oz and some papers for me. I guess its really not as heavy though.

bobhunts

WKR
Aside of the chew that I too partake in I guess it would be in the bag. I'm looking at Western Moutaineering and Feathered Friends for a good cold weather bag. I will also be getting one of the Hilleberg tents soon. They are the most awesome tent I have looked at.

O'Really

Lil-Rokslider
A sleeping pad...

When I was in my 20's, my philosophy was that sleeping pads were for wussies. I preferred sleeping on the ground.
Now that I am getting old, I see the fallacy of that logic, so, NeoAir it is.

As far as guilty pleasure's as extra weight, I used to have the same problem everyone else does with Copenhagen. I used to have a one can a day habit, but fortunately have quit cold turkey, and I WILL NEVER have another chew again as long as I live. Quitting was the greatest thing I've ever done for myself. Now, I bring a little package of smoked salmon as my guilty pleasure.

Shrek

WKR
OReally , we were all so much more hardcore back in the day... and as for me , much less efficient. If I had used all that energy and stamina wisely I would be much more accomplished as a hunter and a man.
I'm with most of you in that a sleep system is worth whatever weight it takes to get some sleep. Nothing will sap your will to check over one more ridge , in one more basin , and stay one more day like lack of sleep.

OReally , we were all so much more hardcore back in the day... and as for me , much less efficient. If I had used all that energy and stamina wisely I would be much more accomplished as a hunter and a man.
I'm with most of you in that a sleep system is worth whatever weight it takes to get some sleep. Nothing will sap your will to check over one more ridge , in one more basin , and stay one more day like lack of sleep.

I'm a lucky one. I can get great sleep on my Zlite pad. But I do have a Klymit staticv air pad that I enjoy sleeping on as well.

weaver

WKR
I can also sleep very well on just a zlite pad...
I do carry a .45 that some might consider unnecessary. If i dont go solo ill probably leave that behind as well.

Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR
Shelter, when its colder atleast, or im going to be out for a longer period of time. it sucks being stuck in a bivy or under a tarp for any length of time.

Im lucky enough to still be young and have the ability to sleep on very little in terms of a pad.
Also I sleep better when im cool, not freezing but cool. Put me in a hot sleeping bag and all I do is sweat and toss and turn all night.

tradair1980

Lil-Rokslider
x2 on the baby wipes , I'm guilty on the copenhagen as well ... My other is food I like to have at least 3 extra mounatain house in my pack in case of emergency or when you just get the out a long time munchies!!

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I don't really like to carry anything I don't really need. Sometimes Dirtytough and I don't even carry a stove for hot food. We have done six days of hunting without a hot meal.
Rifle and optics are probably where I would carry a little more weight.

Tent, bag, and pad.

My "gotta prove how tough I am" days are over. I like to have some creature comforts.

We're all more effective if well rested.

Randle

WKR
Sleep system here also. I like to sleep well and I have room to stretch out.

littlebuf

Banned
other than financial reasons theres really no reason to carry "extra" weight in your sleep system. with the options out there these days you can go both lite and very warm. it can be spendy but id rather lighten the wallet and the pack then weigh down both. but hunting and gear are my only past time, I literally do nothing else other than family activity's with my girls so its where all my play money goes not just some. heck i cant remember the last time I even bought beer