Where are you willing to carry a little more weight?

Randle

WKR
I agree , as I can I will lighten the sleep system, but the costs can be a factor.

littlebuf

Banned
a big factor no doubt. the nice thing about spending the money on a quality sleep system tent/pad/quilt or bag is it will last. you will defiantly get your moneys worth and then some if you do the research and get the right gear for you. makes the up front pain a little easier any way

Teeton

Lil-Rokslider
I like a full tent and a good bag pad combo.. Sleep is good!!! On the baby wipes posted earlier take them out of the bag a dry them out. Then just add a little water to each wipe when you need them. You'll never know you have dried them out. saves lots of weight.

I like a full tent and a good bag pad combo.. Sleep is good!!! On the baby wipes posted earlier take them out of the bag a dry them out. Then just add a little water to each wipe when you need them. You'll never know you have dried them out. saves lots of weight.

Plus they won't freeze!

other than financial reasons theres really no reason to carry "extra" weight in your sleep system. with the options out there these days you can go both lite and very warm. it can be spendy but id rather lighten the wallet and the pack then weigh down both. but hunting and gear are my only past time, I literally do nothing else other than family activity's with my girls so its where all my play money goes not just some. heck i cant remember the last time I even bought beer

My pad weighs more than most and you probably can't buy many pads that cost more. I prefer my Exped LW Downmat at 43oz. (3-1/2" thick) over a lot of pads that are lighter strictly for comfort. I could use a thinner, smaller pad and not get a good nights sleep. So it fits the topic. I will say that in the summer I use lighter pads, but starting in Sept its the heavy pad.

OP
Snyd

Snyd

WKR
With sleep systems I used to run a TNF Cats Meow on a BA insulated Air Core mummy pad. thermarest before that. I kept slippin off so I bought a bivy bag that's more like a bag cover. weights 7oz. I put them both in it, that helped some but I still got cold. Cats Meow was a little tight. I have since gone to a Big Agnes Zirkel, shaved over a lb and it's warmer.

Depending on what a guy has, you can possibly get a warmer sleep system that is also lighter. But, that then opens the "down vs synthetic" debate. Personally I'm fine with down. Some guys are afraid to step out of the house with a down bag.

My backpacking gear is now ultralight in every area, and I only take the clothes I'm wearing plus rainwear, so here are my extra weights:

Sat phone - great to text the wife with a change in itinerary or call to let her know about an elk kill.

Sony NEX-6 with a couple lenses - I joined my father-in-law's photo club and am seeing my trip pics get better.

So I eliminated a few pounds with ultralight backpacking gear, and added those pounds back on with this stuff... Go figure.

Slim Jim

WKR
I feel you, I'm doing the same thing right by buying a few new things to get my pack weight down by a couple pounds. I'm stepping up to a 65mm spotter from a 50mm so it will be close to a wash

Slim Jim

WKR
I'm on the list with Paul at Elknut for an angled razor hd 65mm. Hopefully they will be coming in in the next couple of weeks

T43

Lil-Rokslider
I pack a zlite and a little inflatable pad and 2 pillows. If I don't sleep good things go bad. I looked at other options but splitting up the pads saves room and I can dump one if I absolutely have to.

Optics, sleep system. Although as a DIY hunter I love the mid-morning, lunch-time, and mid-afternoon nap after a poor nights sleep.

OP
Snyd

Snyd

WKR

Oh ya me too. I always pack some heavy food. But what about gear? Weight that stays with you the whole trip.

BTW, I read your AK Range hunt story, I recognize some of the area. Dang, you guys hit it hard and got hit hard as well. I hope you and your bro make it into the Brooks this year and get a crack at a couple rams. I think we're headed back there as well this year. I'll be getting picky though after shooting that ram last year. He was too close for comfort :D

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Personally, I generally avoid camping on exposed ridges so I usually don't need a bomber tent. Why? Who seriously wants to spend days on end in wicked strong winds?? Secondly and more importantly generally the times I have camped on such ridgelines means runs down to water....I hate haulin' water to be honest. So I'll save 5 pounds out of my pack over a tent mentioned above but carry a spotter that is a full pound heavier so I can still see the sheep from the protected valley floor. :D

Thats the great thing about gear, we can all curtail to what we need for our uses, preferences, and styles.

OP
Snyd

Snyd

WKR
...Thats the great thing about gear, we can all curtail to what we need for our uses, preferences, and styles.

Yup, each to his own. I like hearing how other guys think and do. Valleys can act like funnels for wind. The most horrendous wind storm I've ever been in was here in this valley about 4 miles off the haul road a few years ago. That year the Brooks range was smoked in from fires. Overnight a front came in with a vengeance, blew like a hurricane, rained like a monsoon and we awoke to blue skies, no smoke and a stream flowing under the tent into my vestibule! I almost didn't take the time when pitching the night before to put rocks on the stakes in the sand, glad I did though.

hillyValley_zps7b41b0b7.jpg

Then there's waking up with a view like this :D

hillyRidge_zps8ca7327d.jpg

I'll carry a little more weight in antler mass sometimes if I have too. I mean most the time I like to shoot the little 3 points just to save on all the wieght coming off the top of those heavy heads. Every now and again I'll take out a big mulie and struggle with it down the mountain, silly I know and completely contrary to ultralight but hey sometimes you have to sacrafice.