Where are you willing to carry a little more weight?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Valleys can act like funnels for wind.

True valley's I've been in generally have alders to pitch a shelter in as well though, which is what I prefer to do anyways. Again all our gear we choose to throw on our packs is tailored for our needs. I choose a 2.5 pound shelter to hunt out of and you choose a 8.5 pound shelter. Neither is wrong, they both just suit our needs just fine.

Nothing wrong with camping at ridgetop and I have been known to do it if I HAVE to and get caught chasing animals high on a mountain later than expected and can't get back to camp, but my preference is next to water while still being at a reasonably high elevation. I hate having to haul and/or conserve water, but I'm a weeny like that ;)

slim9300

WKR
Personally, I generally avoid camping on exposed ridges so I usually don't need a bomber tent. Why? Who seriously wants to spend days on end in wicked strong winds?? Secondly and more importantly generally the times I have camped on such ridgelines means runs down to water....I hate haulin' water to be honest. So I'll save 5 pounds out of my pack over a tent mentioned above but carry a spotter that is a full pound heavier so I can still see the sheep from the protected valley floor. :D

Thats the great thing about gear, we can all curtail to what we need for our uses, preferences, and styles.

I fully agree with this. I only camp on top when I'm not hunting and I'm trying to show off a view. :)

The main reasons are water, wind and thermals.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
On the baby wipes posted earlier take them out of the bag a dry them out. Then just add a little water to each wipe when you need them. You'll never know you have dried them out. saves lots of weight.

Ill have to give that a try this year! Thanks for the tip.

Shrek

WKR
Take a small flask with enough to toast the fine animal you harvest but not enough to get drunk with. A full bottle back at the truck to celebrate with or help wash down that tag soup :D.

Jon Boy

WKR

My travels with Lewis and Clark during a summer back packing trip :) In reality we were way to wooped to have more then 2 drinks and passed out haha

534015_10151129760748053_978355889_n.jpg

Bighorse

WKR
Thermals and camp

In the morning the thermals roll downhill. So being in the bottom posistion (low on the mountain) can be advantagous. Durring the evening the thermals are rolling up. So depending on when you try your stalk will make a difference in your decison. Add the dominant wind into the mix and you've got some decisions to make.

I also go ultralight with shelter and sleep system. Having the variability and ease of setup adds diversity to my strategy.

Heavy....food and drink!
Optics and tripod
Clothing and rainwear

. Valleys can act like funnels for wind.

You are certainly right about that. However, they do usually offer the best chance of finding a spot to hide and at least the wind direction will nearly always be predictable which lets me orient a three season tent into the wind.

This valley I camped in last spring was a notorious wind funnel. It was the first place I've ever been that the bark had been stripped from the the willows and there was drifts of small gravel on top of the snow. We tucked in as close to a bank as we could and survived.

IMG_0489.jpg

If I'm going to vote on "extra" weight, it's food on a fly out hunt (been near stranded too many times) and good optics. There is certainly something to be said for a solid tent though. Much of what is important to a individual will depend on their decision making style and how they choose their hunting locations, travel routes and camp sites. Like Luke, water is usually pretty high on the list of things I think about when I pick a camp site.

Yk

bigfish b.c

Lil-Rokslider
my tent & ti goat cylinder wood stove,i never camp above treeline but hunt late in the season so being able to dry stuff is a necessity.toasting bagles for breakfast is nice too.:D

Attachments

• IMG_0375.jpg
    IMG_0375.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0388.jpg
    IMG_0388.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0390.jpg
    IMG_0390.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 33