Where do I even start with gear?

AdamW

WKR
I just got the Klymit Insulated Static V Lite. Around 6 oz. weight savings. I've got a Kelty Salida 2 tent. If you can get a deal on their tents and bags, that's not a bad option to get you started. All depends on how you plan to hunt and most importantly, test your gear before it counts.

robtattoo

WKR
Get out and do some backpack camping around home. This gives you an idea of everything you need to camp in the backcountry and how much its going to weigh. Then when its time to backpack hunt you just add your weapon, optics and kill kit.

So much this. Go live out of your pack, close to home, for a few days.

Everyone's said it but it bears repeating: boots. Try before you buy, for sure. I'm still in love with my Lowa Tibets after 2 years, but they're not for everyone.
You can grab a used 2014/2015 Exo 5500 on here for a bargain price & it'll last you forever. I can do a solid 10 days out of mine.
I'm still using a Golite SL5 as my shelter of choice. They're out of production now, but they are being made under a different name (I forget what) & they're really good value for money. Heavier than some & a few dollars more than some others, but what price comfort?
Speaking of comfort.....don't penny pinch on a pad or bag/quilt. Been there, made that mistake. The only thing that'll kill a hunt as quickly as ruined feet is no sleep. Thermarest have set the standard with the NeoAir range. It's money well spent.
I'm a quilt guy myself, but they are spendy.

Boots aside, between now & next year, you'll be able to pick up everything you need here in the classifieds, on budget.

robtattoo

WKR
Here is my list so far.
0d3c35aeb16bea4181d8f3717ea0a69d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking at your list so far, I'd suggest ditching #6 it's $110 you really don't need to spend.
The Katadyn will cover 90% of your camp needs.
Double up on the Sawyers (for the price & weight it's cheap insurance) to carry with you all the time.

2ski

WKR
Only take the Katadyn. No need for 3 water treatment options. If you want a backup, take some aquamira.

I've seen two people suggest an Eberlestock. I won't try to talk you out of that. I'll just say, because that is a pack you can find in stores, go try one on. Ask the salesperson to let you put in 50lbs or more of shot. And then decide if that's a pack you want. It wasn't for me. And the salesman suggested doing it because he thought it would be comfortable that way. I own a Kifaru.

Can't believe nobody has mentioned good rain gear!! Thats #2 right behind good boots. If you get soaked in the backcountry, its pretty dang hard to get dry, nearly impossible if the rain dont quit. Let alone no matter how waterproof your new badass boots are, without good rain gear your feet will be soaked anyways. I bought 3 pair of cheaper raingear sets and got wet in all of em. Bought Kuiu nx and havn't been wet since.

#1 boots
#2 rain gear
#3 good shelter
#4 good pack

I can count on one hand the amount of times I've worn rain gear for an archery elk hunt. That would be the LAST thing on my list if I was starting out.

OP
scott85

scott85

Lil-Rokslider
Looking at your list so far, I'd suggest ditching #6 it's $110 you really don't need to spend.
The Katadyn will cover 90% of your camp needs.
Double up on the Sawyers (for the price & weight it's cheap insurance) to carry with you all the time.

Ok I just be prepared I didn't want to run out of water.

robtattoo

WKR
If you've got a moderately clean source (ie; y'ain't sucking mud...) The Sawyer or Katadyn would be fine be themselves. I use my Katadyn for filling my bladder, bottles & camp water & it's been fine for a week. I also carry a Sawyer mini with me everywhere..

One question that I don't think had been asked yet:
Are you going solo, or with a buddy?

Sent from a mountain somewhere, using telepathy.

OP
scott85

scott85

Lil-Rokslider
So far I'm going with one other person and we are trying for 2 more as well.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just got the Klymit Insulated Static V Lite. Around 6 oz. weight savings. I've got a Kelty Salida 2 tent. If you can get a deal on their tents and bags, that's not a bad option to get you started. All depends on how you plan to hunt and most importantly, test your gear before it counts.
Agree. The lite versions of klymit pads are a bit more $ but 6oz here and there will add up fast, well worth it in the end.

OP
scott85

scott85

Lil-Rokslider
I just improved my spreadsheet I moved it to excel so it's all fancy now.

OP
scott85

scott85

Lil-Rokslider
I can get the insulated static v lite for $60.

OP
scott85

scott85

Lil-Rokslider
What about headlights? How many and brands?

T43

Lil-Rokslider
Be careful buying Cabelas meindl boots. The perfekt are German made but some of the others are cheap junk from across the other ocean.

OP
scott85

scott85

Lil-Rokslider
Be careful buying Cabelas meindl boots. The perfekt are German made but some of the others are cheap junk from across the other ocean.

I read that, make sure they say made in Germany and not imported.

Nuke Man

WKR
For water filtration I just used a steri pen. Then I used a nalgene to fill my 3l platypus for camp water. Worked great, just time consuming.

Nuke Man

WKR
Headlamps. I used a cheapo Coleman that had red led and a 40 lumen led output for my main. I had a cheap petzl led headlamp for backup. Never really felt like I needed a $200 headlamp.

OP
scott85

scott85

Lil-Rokslider
What size pack do I need?

MT_Wyatt

WKR
What size pack do I need?

Highly dependent on how light/compact your gear is and trip duration. Shelter and sleep system can really impact how big of a pack you need. 3000 something for up to 3-4 days if you're pretty light, closer to 5000 at least for a week.

Buying more volume has a minimal weight penalty and can be compressed when not used, at least on good packs.

cocky84

WKR
I can count on one hand the amount of times I've worn rain gear for an archery elk hunt. That would be the LAST thing on my list if I was starting out.

Dont know where you hunt but it must be nice. Don't know if ive been on an high country elk hunt where it didn't rain at least one full day.