Where do i setup camp?

So I'm planning my first DIY elk hunt and trying to educate myself. But one question that I haven't really seen discussed much is where to set up camp.

Sept, 7 day hunt, carrying everything on our backs. Just trying to be mobile until we can get into elk...

Setting low in the basin seems to me like it would be a sure way to bump the elk out of a possible feeding area. And setting high I would think thermals would pull your scent down and ruin the basin also.

So what are some strategies to camp locations?

Man there are so many factors and it’s all location dependent. You can do everything right and still have elk running through your camp at night. At least you are thinking about it, most folks pop camp in the middle of the basin by a water source. Really depends on where the elk are or where you expect them to be and the type of country, use some common sense and you’ll be good. Sorry if that doesn’t help but it really changes with every circumstance, there are places I camp on top, in bottom, a ridge or basin over, etc.

^^^^^^ Yep, nothing like setting off to pack into the wrong spot, day 1. Day 2 hiking from pack in camp and seeing zero fresh sign, all day. Day 3, the walk of shame back to the trail head, where you parked.

PaBone

Lil-Rokslider
It's not easy finding a fairly level spot to camp that's not all rocks and near water. Just takes times learning a new area.

cnelk

WKR
Find a spot away from running water.
Sure it’s convenient, but it’s much colder and noisy.

Find a spot on a finger ridge about 1/3 the way up the Mtn. Maybe even a 1/4mi away from the basin. That way you can hear/see elk and make a move.

I have had dry camps and wet camps. By myself 5 gallons of water can last a week in the field. Some of my better wet camps were near a spring I developed. I have even built a water trough for stock in a couple places.

I prefer a north side on the downwind side of the ridge in the old growth firs. The canopy will buffer the cold and there is usually less downfall.

My better ones have been 1-2 miles from any elk sign and 1-2 miles from the road. With horses I have to pack in enough hay and build corrals not to keep the horses in but provide security for my hay stack.

Finding flat ground for the tent is a challenge and will require a chainsaw and a pulaski to get it comfortable. I can hear the moans now. Most of my hunting camps I have used for 10+ years.

For my field camps, when I was working, I moved every day. Sometimes 50-100 miles. Just the nature of the job.

The key to a successful camp was having all my components in modules. I have a fully portable kitchen built into a pannier. My stove and some of the cookware with it.

When truck camping, the kitchen pannier set on the tail gate while after set-up, the stove pannier became a chair. The sleeping bag and tent were always stored in a canvas tarp to keep them clean. On rainy days that 10x12 tarp became a cover over the tailgate with a couple poles to provide dry cooking and dining. I know most of you prefer plastic but I find them bulky single use storage items. Where my method has multiple uses for most every item but the kitchen pannier.

I admit I am not a backpack advocate for anything but an overnight bivwac. Most of those walks could be accomplished with a 6-7 mile loop out of a truck camp at the end of an old fs road.

Longer term camps came after a number of recon trips that showed me the value of a camp development investment. I admit that in over 45 years I haven't seen more than 10 people beyond the end of the road.

Last edited:
If you look at your area hopefully you’ve found some spots you think are more likely to have elk and by reduction, spots that are less likely to have elk. Those less likely areas can be candidates for camps. You’re on the right track paying attention to thermals in selecting a spot.

Gerbdog

WKR
Too hard to say what is or isnt right. Winds change, storms blow in, weather changes, creeks flood, elk do whatever they want when they want. As the first response said, you can do it all right and still have elk outside your tent at night.

My opinion is dont set up on a well worn game trail, dont set up in a bedding area, dont set up under widow makers, but for the rest of the factors: try and make it as convenient for yourself as you can within reasonable expectations. End of the day, when its pitch black out, walking a half mile to water to filter and refill is a pain in the arse when all you really wanna do is crawl into your sleeping bag and pass out. You gotta stay hydrated though, gotta eat your mountain house and that needs water too.

After all that: the guy hung over back at camp, sleeping in, taking the day off, ends up killing the elk / deer that decides to walk through camp mid day.

Good luck!

^A good suggestion logistically^ On top but not the top of the top. The top of the top gets WINDY! And it’s usually further from water. One thing to do is start looking for the highest water source in the area. You don’t have to camp right next to it but close is good.

PaBone

Lil-Rokslider
Flat spot away from widowmakers.
Good point on the widowmakers. I got hit by a limb a few years ago and luckily it was small, but still split my head open and knocked me stupid. Always makes me nervous laying in a tent with big trees around when a storm blows through.

bz_711

WKR
Typically don't want to camp in same basin you expect to hunt elk in (archery season)