Where do y'all get your 55 gallon drums.

Kushtekaa

FNG
Will be hunting over bait this spring/summer & need a source for 55 gal. drums or other alternatives. Where do you get yours?

Get on google maps and search for 55 gallon drums. Not every result will have them, but I was able to find multiple places near me when I was looking for a food grade drum to build a smoker.

Blackcow

WKR
My buddies family owns the local newspaper, and I've gotten drums from him for water and made wood stoves. They get the ink in them. The unlined ones are a no go, but alot of them are lined with a heavy plastic liner, like a bladder. Those usually have little to no ink on them. Worth a shot.

In wisconsin, a ton of guys sell bear bait near Ladysmith one guy wholesales. Check around

Craigslist. A local candy company listed some that had corn syrup in them previously. $20 with a locking lid.

GMC

Lil-Rokslider
Any dairy farms in your area? That would be a great place to start. We use the empties for water/feed tubs and still have half a dozen around.

OP
K

Kushtekaa

FNG
I should mention that I'm in remote Alaska (Haines to be exact); not much agriculture around here or cities. Maybe I'll check with the local gas stations.

OP
K

Kushtekaa

FNG
Oh & craigslist is pretty much non-existent here due to a low population base. The locals do use facebook to trade, but I checked just now & nothing.

Marmots

Lil-Rokslider
I have a pile of Jet-A drums in Fairbanks. They smell like diesel though, so not sure if that discounts them from bear bait use.

I have used a former diesel drum as a bait barrel before. The trick to getting the smell out is just have a couple fires in the drum. Just a flashy newspaper fire is good enough to ignite all of the fumes and residue remaining. After about 10 minutes of burning there was no diesel scent that I could detect, and bears hit the barrel enthusiastically enough.

I learned that trick from a buddy that was using old hydraulic fluid barrels.

I have used a former diesel drum as a bait barrel before. The trick to getting the smell out is just have a couple fires in the drum. Just a flashy newspaper fire is good enough to ignite all of the fumes and residue remaining. After about 10 minutes of burning there was no diesel scent that I could detect, and bears hit the barrel enthusiastically enough.

I learned that trick from a buddy that was using old hydraulic fluid barrels.

Well then.... if anybody in Fairbanks needs a bait barrel, I guess I have some for sale. Good information that I didn't know.

WKR
I get mine from a boat shop, they are oil drums though. Ask around at places that run heavy equipment, they might have some.

OP
K

Kushtekaa

FNG
I get mine from a boat shop, they are oil drums though. Ask around at places that run heavy equipment, they might have some.
Did not think of the boat shop, but am checking with some of our earthwork guys. Thanks for the boat idea.

vermeire

Lil-Rokslider
Location would have been relevant to my suggestion. Yeah, boat shop or anything plane related are probably your best bets. Not sure what you've got for an airstrip but they've got to get fuel somehow.

Jardo

WKR
Commercial laundries have tons of them. Call them up and they normally will give them away. Try to get ones that had bleach or sour in the. The detergent Barels take a lot of rinsing to get all the suds out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

yazoomark

FNG
I own several carwashes and I always have heavy duty plastic drums from 5gal up to 55 gal. Check around at your local carwashes!