Where do you aim at longer range with open sights?

Billinsd

WKR
I have a couple knight rifles with fiber front sight and rear peep sight. At 100 yards and less I aim behind a buck's shoulder, with the top of the pin at the shoulder. At further than 150 yards, I think it would be difficult to see behind a buck's shoulder? Right? So, is it logical to aim with the top of the pin at either the top of the back or his belly so the impact is behind his shoulders? This could only be done with an field adjustable rear peep sight that could be dialed for elevation on the fly? Thanks Bill

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
With the XS sight, I hold the sight at 6'oclock on the spot where I want to hit, or add inches if he's beyond dead-on range. I don't cover the animal until I'm holding over his back which is rare as that's usually over 200 depending on the load.

Unfortunately I was taught young to center the bead in the peep. Not the 6 o'clock and I'm to scared to try different at this time.
My knight is 5" high at 100 so I need to put the bead at bottom of kill zone at 100.
150 yard zero.
200 is 10" low so id hold bead just off hair. But I would only do this for a follow up shot.
Or possibly on an elk.

Wapiti1

WKR
There are a couple of ways to go. A dial or elevator style rear like a Lyman or Vernier tang.

Or you can go with something more like a battle rifle sight. Look up HK91 rear sights or the two aperture rear sight for an M16. Each peep hole is set for a different range.

I've also seen discs with different holes for the peep drilled in a spiral. You rotate the disc to each hole, and it has set drops based on the pitch of the spiral. Accuracy International makes this style and I've seen some home made ones on Sharps style rifles. These are nice because the holes can be different diameters.

Jeremy

WKR
Using a German silver front blade and a buckhorn rear, I just hold center of shoulders to 110 yards. Haven't shot past that yet but feel like I can hold a tight enough sight picture to increase it a little. Most of the time I seem to be about to get to 110 and under in open country though.

I have a peep sighted 45 shooting large conicals. I am thinking of rigging a drop chart on side of peep and playing around at longer ranges. It has a finer front sight bead added. I think Idaholewis who posts on here goes to crazy long ranges doing about that same kind of thing.

Out to 200 yards, the advice given is good. If you want to stretch that you should get one of these. The model would depend on your specific rifle.

548D3B24-1B8A-48D5-B604-688C462AA32B.png

I aim center mass behind shoulder out to 100, 3/4 up at 150, and top of back out at 200.
Roughly I’m 0@100, -6@150, -12@200.
Don’t shoot at animals initially past 150. At that range the bullets barely get through to the far side.