Where do you carry your rangefinder?

Trout bum

Lil-Rokslider
Lanyard attached to belt loop with the rangefinder in front right pocket. Simple, easy access, no clips and quiet.

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
Luke, what about that buckle that holds lid closed? Do you just leave it undone while stalking? I really like the way the AK guide creation chest pack looks

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Jim,

I leave it closed. If I need a range finder before I shoot, I'll have enough time to unclip/unzip the front pouch of the bino pouch and range if I am just hiking along. On a stalk I leave it open and unbuckled. Sometimes I'll even put the rangefinder in my cargo pocket of my pants. Just depends. I like having on my person all the time and if I drop my pack its still with me. However its safely protected in my bino pouch 99.9% of the time where it won't get dirty, dusty, or ripped around in the alders like some of the setup above that are simply clipping them to the outside of your bino holder on your chest. It just wouldn't be a good setup for up here in Alaska IMO.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lets see, 2011 I carried it into CA wilderness and it is still there. 2012 I carried it into a CO wilderness and it is still there. So I like to carry mine in places I can lose it. 2013 I am going to try and not lose and if I accomplish that, that will be the new place I carry it.

RUTTIN

WKR
I use a S4 gear tether with a Velcro strap on my upper left arm, when I have my bow up ready to draw I can just grab it off my arm quick range and then let go of it and draw.

Lets see, 2011 I carried it into CA wilderness and it is still there. 2012 I carried it into a CO wilderness and it is still there. So I like to carry mine in places I can lose it. 2013 I am going to try and not lose and if I accomplish that, that will be the new place I carry it.

That made me smile RosinBag. I hope 2013 will be a better year keeping that rangefinder a bit closer to you.

This year I'll be toting mine in a FHF pouch on the side of the Bino harness. The one I have has a tether that stretches a bit. I hope I'll be able to bring it out of the wilderness too. Losing stuff is a bummer.

shaun

WKR

Third time's the charm haha

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member

I have so been there, Doug. Sucks.

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
Thanks everyone for your opinions and I've googled them all. From everything I have gathered so far, I like the AK guide creation chest pack. It stays protected which is very important because I have had a dirty lens in the past and i didn't get a read on yardage. I like that it stays with me even after taking off my pack and easy access. It is only $64 from what I've found so far and that's not to bad on the pocket either.

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
What a bummer Doug, those things aren't cheap. I was totally bummed when I thought I lost mine from that S4 sidewinder. Luckily I found mine

I've just gotta say it...I carry my rangefinder INSIDE my binoculars. Last winter I sold off my binoculars, my rangefinder and some extra gear I wasn't using and bought rangefinding binoculars....wow...it would be hard to ever go back.

bowuntr

WKR
Mine is in my binos.... Leica Geovids.... one of my best purchases ever... i never never have to worry about where to put my rangefinder. Ed F

I've just gotta say it...I carry my rangefinder INSIDE my binoculars. Last winter I sold off my binoculars, my rangefinder and some extra gear I wasn't using and bought rangefinding binoculars....wow...it would be hard to ever go back.

Umpqua Hunter, I'm curious which range finder binocular did you get last winter? I don't reacall reading it or I may have missed your post about your upgrade last year. Did you happen to get something like one of the Swarovski EL Range models? Sounds like you have a good review over this past season on what you upgraded to.

Does it still fit the FHS bino harness you got a while back?

bowuntr

WKR
My first generation Geovids do not have angle compensation. There's advertising out that Leica will have the angle compensation.... as well as Swaro, Zeiss, Bushnell.... it's the way to go on my opinion. If it's not in your buget... sell some gear to get it in your buget.... Ed F