Where do you carry your rangefinder?

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
January 15, the specs on the new Leica rangefinding binocular will be released. The physically look like the Swaro EL series.

ElkNut1

WKR
Right on my bino harness inches from my face, I use the "Range Snap" it is very cool & out of the way, weighs 1-2oz I can have it to my eye in one second with little movement!

ElkNut1

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
"If it's not in your buget... sell some gear to get it in your buget.... Ed F"

Ed, you took the words right out of my mouth:)

MattB

WKR
I'll give a bit of a contrarian opinion here. Guys seem inclined to try and spend their way into a better mouse trap. I have tried most of the commercial options on the market, and I keep coming back to wearing my RF around my neck using a simple loop of cord that just barely fits over my head. As a bowhunter, being able to pick it up and put it down with a minimum of movement is priceless. If you worry about it swinging around if you are moving it fast, tuck it under the shoulder strap of your bino harness. No losing it either.

I'll give a bit of a contrarian opinion here. Guys seem inclined to try and spend their way into a better mouse trap. I have tried most of the commercial options on the market, and I keep coming back to wearing my RF around my neck using a simple loop of cord that just barely fits over my head. As a bowhunter, being able to pick it up and put it down with a minimum of movement is priceless. If you worry about it swinging around if you are moving it fast, tuck it under the shoulder strap of your bino harness. No losing it either.

well put

Agreed^^^^ I've bought some contraptions like the s4 rangefinder tether and it seemed to just get in the wayand be a pain of the ass so I just. Took a neck strap from some binos extended the strap and just wear it over my neck/shoulder and works great!!

J-Daddy

WKR
Right on my bino harness inches from my face, I use the "Range Snap" it is very cool & out of the way, weighs 1-2oz I can have it to my eye in one second with little movement!

ElkNut1

I'm with ElkNut, the Range Snap is a vey handy thing, I really like mine.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
For archery hunting, I use a long strap so it can go around my neck (left side) and around my chest and back so it rests on my right side about 2" higher than belly button. Easy to get to and swings out of way so I can shoot without string catching anything.

Whisky

WKR
On a laynard, around me neck is where mine sits....Late season, if I have a chest pocket close by, I'll stuff it in there but mostly it's dangling from my neck. I don't trust any of them tethers, and have spent a good part of a morning helping a buddy try to find his RF.

As soon as the ideal RF Bino is invented (right side button, min ranging distance suitable for archery, max ranging distance suitable for LR shooting, angle comp, and isn't huge and bulky), I'll be buying....

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
As soon as the ideal RF Bino is invented (right side button, min ranging distance suitable for archery, max ranging distance suitable for LR shooting, angle comp, and isn't huge and bulky), I'll be buying....

Me too, maybe we can get a package deal if we buy two :)

Tilzbow

WKR
Using string loop material for stiffness I make a large loop, about 1/2" in diameter, through the lanyard hole on the RF. I then thread parachute cord through this and tie that at the proper length with a square knot. I like parachute cord long enough so I can hang the RF over my head and under my right arm so that it hangs at my hip so it's right next to my right hand when it's needed. The large loop allows the RF to move freely on the cord. This makes it easy to access, it's out of the way at the shot, you won't loose it and most importantly it's whisper quiet.

When not on a stalk you can do one of three things:

1) Let it hang loose at your hip.
2) Secure in a small case that rides on your pack hip belt, your belt or somewhere else.
3) (This is my preference) Use a 10" to 12" long x 1/2" wide Velcro strap to secure a Camelbak tube trap (both avail at REI) to the side of the RF. The tube trap makes a perfect clip that loosely secures the RF to the side of your bino pack (I use the FHF bino pack) and keeps the range finder super handy.

If using 2 or 3 above after ranging you simply drop the range finder and it'll slide down the cord to your hip and be out of the way for the shot. The best part is this wont cost more than $10! That said I've probably spent 10x that amount trying to find this perfect system.

Last edited:

Tilzbow

WKR
Here are some pictures showing the loop which I made with string loop material secured with serving, the Camelbak tube trap and velcro strap which acts as a clip for securing the RF to the bino case and the RF on the FHF bino case. You my notice the velcro strap has an S4 Gear logo on it; that was from many of my failed experiments. You should be able find a comparable strap at REI or other backpacking store. I like the tube trap because it's really easy to get the RF off the bino case compared to say a cell phone clip.

2012-12-29 002 001.jpg

2012-12-29 002 002.jpg

2012-12-29 001 005.jpg

Last edited:
Badlands makes a rangefinder pouch with an elastic tether and a magnetic closure (quiet) that can clip on to the loops on my Eberlestock Just One hip belt. The clips arent designed to fit this pack so I use a velcro strap for insurance. It completely encloses the rangefinder and keeps it out of the way. If the pouch comes open (which it sometimes does going through the brush) the tether will keep you from losing your rangefinder. It's worked real well for me the last 3 years.