Where do you check your zero after flying in?

Loper

WKR
When you fly in to your destination and want to check your zero, or in the worst case scenario, have to re-sight in your rifle, do you typically find a nearby shooting range or just make sure to bring some targets and go shoot in the area where you will be hunting in?

Goolahg

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Honestly, I don't think you really need to reconfirm zero. Coming from the military, its not like we rezero our rifles in country when we land. Is there anything you're specifically worried about?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
L

Loper

WKR
Mostly worried about the gun case getting thrown around by baggage handlers and jarring the rifle enough to change the point of impact somewhat. I’d rather check and confirm that it’s not an issue and be 100% confident in the rifle.

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
When I was out in Wyoming and had to bring my rifle to a gunsmith he had to remove the scope. I found the only long range facility in the area and spoke with the guy in charge. He was very accommodating and let me shoot there regardless of the fact it was private, insurance regulations etc.

Goolahg

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
What is your zero at, 100m?

OP
L

Loper

WKR
When I was out in Wyoming and had to bring my rifle to a gunsmith he had to remove the scope. I found the only long range facility in the area and spoke with the guy in charge. He was very accommodating and let me shoot there regardless of the fact it was private, insurance regulations etc.

Good to hear. That’s reassuring. Thanks!

HNTR918

WKR

wytx

WKR
Yes, check your rifle when you get there.
In Wyoming we have several nice ranges that you could use and any BLM parcel is open for shooting, just don't mess up someone hunting at the time.

WCB

WKR
Piece of BLM as I mostly hunt out west/south west. Other than that any outfitted camp I go to has a range normally.

AKBorn

WKR
Honestly, I don't think you really need to reconfirm zero. Coming from the military, its not like we rezero our rifles in country when we land. Is there anything you're specifically worried about?

TSA handlers and baggage handlers can do a number on rifle cases, always best to check after landing. I've hunted in Alaska 12-15 times over the past 2 decades, flying to AK from Maryland. On three different occasions, my scope zero was way off after landing in Anchorage. Always went to the Anchorage rifle range to recheck zero before heading out to hunt.

AKBorn

WKR
What sort of rings and scope? I’ve yet to have a scope knocked out of zero and I’ve had them mailed 4500 miles and had cracks in the case.

Leupold scopes on 2 different rifles, not sure what type of rings, rifles were Win Model 70 and Ruger Model 77. Too lazy to go get the rifles out of the cases and check the rings lol.

Matix10

FNG
When you fly in to your destination and want to check your zero, or in the worst case scenario, have to re-sight in your rifle, do you typically find a nearby shooting range or just make sure to bring some targets and go shoot in the area where you will be hunting in?
I always have extra targets with!

Laramie

WKR
I agree with WyTex- always check your zero. Changes in elevation and weather actually have a significant impact on zero on tope of the potential for it being knocked off in transit. Side note, why zero at 100 yards?

If a bore sight is not available then a side of hill works

OP
L

Loper

WKR
I agree with WyTex- always check your zero. Changes in elevation and weather actually have a significant impact on zero on tope of the potential for it being knocked off in transit. Side note, why zero at 100 yards?

Last year was the first year I did an out of state western hunt and I realized just how much elevation and temperature can affect your point of impact. This is probably really exaggerated coming from Florida where there’s a lot of humidity and shots are at sea level.