Where do you practice bugling

2amd4life

FNG
Back in my day of practicing bugling, I’d do it in my truck on my way to and from work (which isn’t the safest) or just out on the side of my house haha. Best of luck to you!

Trust me on this one - Nobody wants to hear that shit in the house. They’ll think it’s cute for the 1st :90 seconds and then they are over it.

Keep it on your truck. That’s about the only place. Q-up the ElkNut app and get after it.

Every time you get in the truck (alone) make at least one bugle. Do that from now until September and you’ll probably be ok even if you don’t drive into work anymore.

Last season I wasn’t driving very much at all and I neglected this, but I was able lucky enough to polish up all my call sounds on the 18 hour drive up to Colorado.

Everything I’ve said here applies universally to duck and goose and turkey and coyote call practice. Except the family’s patience for your practicing inside the house drops down to about :10 seconds max.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
In truck can cause hearing damage. Trust me on that. Did lots of goose call practice driving and I have lost a good part of my hearing in right ear.

Gerbdog

WKR
I try and leave a reed and bugle tube in the truck to practice but.... i do get a kick out of calling random places in the house when i cant see the German Shephard and see from how far away i can call him over from where ever he is at on the property.... he comes running in all bothered everytime hahaha, ive learned to leave the bugle tube on a desk or table though because he tries to tackle it out of my hands and that leaves dog scratches. Good animals those dogs.

OP
H

Huntnfish89

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like I'll just keep a few diaphragm calls in the truck like I have been and then pack the tube along for hikes etc.

Eli80 your post reminds me of when I used to live near some property that I had access to but couldn't hunt. I'd practice rattling in bucks and would typically get at least 1 to come in every few times throughout October- November. It was a blast just watching them. That being said sucess rattling unpressured bucks does not directly translate to public land experiences.

Occasionally in the truck driving & then in the house when the wife is gone and sometimes during the day on a weekend in the garage. The neighborhood dogs seem to just love it!

KHNC

WKR
I used to practice on my back deck after dark. One night i had been in bed about an hour after bugling. My son, came in my room telling me someone pulled up in the yard. I heard banging on the door. Went to answer with my pistol. Saw it was the cops. They were checking on a report of a woman screaming! Stupid neighbors lol. Guess my bugles werent very realistic. And , great one hour response time by the cops.

Mine stays in the truck but comes into the house as well closer to season. My wife is very understanding luckily and she practices with me sometimes even tho she doesnt hunt. The other night we went "out" for the first time since covid for her 30th bday and she got hammered, randomly started trying to bugle in my truck the whole way home it was hilarious lol

I'm just closing my eyes after reading the replies and I can visual just a highway full of elk bugles😂

I too, use the trip to work and back my calls.

CMF

WKR
I like to wake the kids up with it.
I bring it along on hikes and running trail cameras during the summer.
Sometimes I practice in the backyard. One day after I been practicing more frequently I was talking to the neighbor and he asked if I been hearing whale sounds... Not sure if I need more practice or if he doesn't know what elk sound like, lol

When I bought my course i would practice in my living room. One day a neighbor knocked on the asked if I could stop it cuz it was making him horny. LOL

Lurch12

Lil-Rokslider
In the car on my hour commute to and from work. Get some great looks from people while in traffic. Those looks should get even better now that the windows will be down..

el_jefe_pescado

Lil-Rokslider
practice we talkin bout...practice???

Truck for me. But I’ve also found that putting a pillow at the end of the bugle tube will dampen sound while still allowing you to practice note progressions. The suffocation risk is minimal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk