Where does .308 Winchester excel?

It's a battle rifle and heavy machine gun caliber. It only ended up in hunting and precision rifles because it was readily available.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

jamesmc8

Lil-Rokslider
I've killed several deer and 2 bull elk with 308. Pretty versatile out to 400 yards and in. As already stated lots of affordable ammo options. I ultimately went to a 280 AI for better ballistics and a bit more range.

If/when I feel like I can shoot comfortably beyond 400 yards, I'll be taking a close look at the 6.8 Western (if it's not already replaced by something else).

It makes a great deer rifle. My father-in-law's .308 with 180 grain bullets has killed more deer than CWD....
Awesome! Field and Stream writers named it best all around cartridge in North America, not because it excels at anything particularly well. It just kills animals. There are tons of cartridges that shoot faster, flatter, and hit harder, but on deer, elk, and bears inside 400 its just a great choice.

Unckebob

WKR
There are a lot of cartridges that will outperform the .308, until you can't find any of them.

The .308 has a long history and a stable supply chain. As bad as I hate to use that as a rationale, it's a valid one.

It's a good rationale.

Plus, from a hunters perspective, my 308 will kill anything that my 6.5CM will. If you hunt bigger game, the 308 may be the better choice.

The only penalty is marginally higher recoil - I cannot tell the difference in recoil between them.
- The only reason I have the 308, is my son will inherit grandpa's pretty, old old stocked 30-06 Remington. I got a good deal on a Winchester Featherweight in 308 and bought it for my daughter to inherit.

Last edited:
By most of the reasoning provided everyone should just shoot a 338 LM. If for no other reason than you can find a caliber that does that one thing that tickles your taint better than a 308.
I guess a caliber than can shoot bullets with a 100 grain span in weight difference, has a literal shit tons of valid load data, moderate recoil, long barrel life, great short barrel performance, good killing potential, plentiful supply of off the shelf ammo and components, long brass life, overall great tolerance for novice reloaders, and the best middle of the road performance in almost every aspect...shit, lost my thought process.
Dont shoot it if you dont like it. Leave us alone. We will take all the brass and bullets while shooting the same barrel for the next 5 years with no degredation in accuracy.

OP
D

Deywalker

FNG
By most of the reasoning provided everyone should just shoot a 338 LM.
I'm not sure how you arrived at advocating shooting a 338 Lapua from asking what .308 has over newer rounds with better ballistics and less recoil. My main hangup was that almost all the positive attributes of .308, also apply to 6.5 creed. As others have stated, ammo cost, availability, and barrel life/stability seems to be it's greatest attributes, so I'll probably pick one up.

JVS

Lil-Rokslider
I am a fan

the 308 really shines in the Missouri ozark hardwoods setting. Most shots here are 100 yards or less. In my experience most deer hit with a 308 drop in their tracks. Its moderate velocity and bore size dumps most all its energy into the animal. 6.5cm often zips right through them not transferring that energy into the animal. I can get military brass for super cheap making it a very cost effective round for plinking and hunting. I hunt with a 308 more than any other round.

Bouldar

Lil-Rokslider
No expert but my opinion is ammo availability is #1. I guess I could be called a 30 caliber guy as I have a 308, 30-06, and building a 300 WM. I am not against any other caliber nor do I put down anyone that shoots them.
Since I don’t reload, I like that the 30 calibers are proven and readily available. That being said, I wouldn’t mind a 6.5 creed.

Wapiti1

WKR
The .308 falls into the good enough category and many folks aren't accepting of that as a valid category. Best has become the only acceptable route. Although, best is a highly subjective term.

There is nothing sexy about it. It's old. It's doesn't spit super wind slippery death delivery projectiles. But it does work just fine. It kills critters with boring consistency at ranges many can't or shouldn't be shooting game at. I shoot 155gr Scenar's out of mine and those are extremely consistent bullets.

Where does it excel? Well, nowhere really. But cost, barrel life, easy to load for, easy to find, easy to shoot are compelling reasons to like it. It just works. Like a lot of cartridges.

Jeremy