Where does the dog go in your truck?

Oregonboy

WKR
I'm getting ready to upgrade from a small Toyota to something bigger for my growing family (wife, 2 kids, both in car seats and dog) and I'm torn between a full size pick up and a 4Runner.

The 4runner seems like the obvious choice because I can easily put my pup in the back, he's about 90 lbs FWIW.

I've wanted a truck for a long time but not sure where to put the dog when the whole family is loaded up.

For those of you with trucks as your family rig, where do you put the dog on trips?

Antares

WKR
Dogs go in the bed (I have a canopy). If no canopy, I suggest clipping them into a line up near the cab, make it just long enough so they can peak around the cab, but not long enough that they can jump over the side of the bed and hang themselves. Alternatively, you can put a kennel in the bed.

I dislike having them in the cab. I don't want to smell them and I don't want to hear them, but maybe yours aren't a bunch of savages like mine are.

Toyota sequoia has way more room than a 4Runner. WE have 2 little dogs and 2 kids, one in a carseat. The 4Runner was a little cramped if you were going on a overnight trip. Moved up to the Sequoia and haven't looked back. Gets 18mpg on the highway, one less than the 4runner. If you can find one used at a decent price, it will be better than a truck unless you have to have the truck bed.

If my dog isn't in the cab with me, he's in a dog box in the bed. Too many stories of our best friends being lost out of the back of trucks.

OP
Oregonboy

Oregonboy

WKR
Toyota sequoia has way more room than a 4Runner. WE have 2 little dogs and 2 kids, one in a carseat. The 4Runner was a little cramped if you were going on a overnight trip. Moved up to the Sequoia and haven't looked back. Gets 18mpg on the highway, one less than the 4runner. If you can find one used at a decent price, it will be better than a truck unless you have to have the truck bed.
I'll take a look at the Sequoia as well, I wouldn't mind having the extra space.

wyodan

WKR
A dog should really be kenneled in a truck, for their protection, a camper shell on the back and even a minor accident is a bad place for them.

I don't listen to my own advice, mine rides shotgun pretty much all the time.

View attachment 328693

No kids, so no space issue.
My door looks just like yours. Filthy from that filthy animal that rides around everywhere with me.

OP
Oregonboy

Oregonboy

WKR
If my dog isn't in the cab with me, he's in a dog box in the bed. Too many stories of our best friends being lost out of the back of trucks.

I worry about putting him in the very back and getting thrown around. I like the idea of a crate or box in the back, I think he'd probably like it.

My door looks just like yours. Filthy from that filthy animal that rides around everywhere with me.

My dash has a custom paint job from him.....

I had him in his kennel in the back seat, but he slipped out after a goose hunt and I found him sitting in his spot after loading the truck.

He had shook all over that front passenger seat.
Oh well, it's a work truck.

KurtR

WKR
with only 3 in my family he rides in his large rough land thats fits right in the back of the tundra. if he had to ride in the back i would have the kennel ratchet strapped down. Roughland, lucky duck ,gunner or dakota 281 are all good kennels

My lab never liked the idea of a crate so he rides on the floor in the back seat of my extended cab.

When he's in the truck, nothing else goes in the cab. Hah.

Laramie

WKR
Under an hour drive, in the bed. Over an hour drive, on floor of crew cab with seats folded up and blankets covering seats. My lab is a shedding mess but an amazing dog.

TSAMP

WKR
Mine rides in kennel in backseat. The backseat is a dual/single bench split and kennel takes up the 2 spot. Im.left with a single backseat for 3rd adult or a carseat. If I have 4 people I simply toss the kennel in the topper. Snapchat-446953545.jpg

In the box, of course
a4554611c05fc808a3dd0a62d80f093a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk