Where does the dog go in your truck?

Like2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
Always ride on the bed if its a flatbed or one with sides and never had any problems with her. She rides on the back of the wheeler's too when we go on rides. Prolly some safer options though

My beagle hound rides in the passenger seat. He has never changed the radio station or the A/C on me and has also never given me crappy directions at the last second that nearly caused a wreck.

I'll put the wife in the bed before the dog.

doggo.jpg

Mosby

WKR
Just got a new Lucky Duck kennel to strap into the bed of my truck. 5 star crash rating. Safer for the dog and better for me when she is filthy after a day of hunting. Getting another pup next year and will likely buy a second one for the same reason and leave them in my truck bed tied down. My Ruff Land kennels are a lot lighter and fit into my back seat. Great for carrying in and out of motels and for the dog riding in the back seat when it is really hot or freezing cold. I have several kennels that I have accumulated over the years and use them a lot. Big believer in using kennels.

PVHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Wife and I have raised / sat guide dogs (labs and golden x lab crosses) in training. Their instructions seem reasonable for such high value dogs being reared by folks who do this thing for a living- either at someone's feet in the cab (ideally front passenger) or secured safely in the bed of the truck in a kennel/ rear area of an SUV. We're not raising guide dogs these days, but mine ride securely in the back (Dane / Newfoundland, so not working dogs). Newf used to break the rules when he was a little guy (~60 - 80 lbs) and insist on riding in may lap. Wife hated it. I'd tell her we were only on surface streets - where was the risk? Seems I'm in good company with some folks on this thread.

Lab in the passenger seat of my truck, even after duck hunting. Has completely trashed my leather but I like having him up there with me. When he's gone, I'll think back fondly oh him curled up awkwardly tuckered out, not ruining the cheap crap leather.

Hoopwse

FNG
My lab rides in a Gunnar kennel strapped in the bed 90% of the time. I got it at a major major discount right when the company was founded, but I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another. The thing is a tank. My dog is my buddy and knowing she will be ok in a wreck makes me feel great driving through the concrete jungle of Atlanta or icy roads in Arkansas at 2am headed to the ramp.

Chedster

FNG
Dogs in the back of truck (with canopy) hands down….. wife and kid go in truck. Our dogs are both 60-70lbs and it’s so nice putting them back there especially after a adventure and they are filthy.

Marmots

Lil-Rokslider
My dogs have always ridden with me in the cab of my truck because I've been afraid of carbon monoxide buildup in the topper-covered bed. It's a habit I got into because the truck I drove as a kid was such a rustbucket that the exhaust probably didn't make it all the way to the tailpipe.

Other than maintaining the exhaust system in good working order, do you guys take any precautions for carbon monoxide? I'm not judging, I'm just curious. I might have ruined a lot of car seats for no good reason over the years.

GreenNDark Timber

Lil-Rokslider
If he's with me he's usually in his kennel, either in the bed or in the crew cab with back seat folded up if it's too hot. When he goes with my wife and kids it's usually something more like this.

34IMPT5.jpg

Buzby

WKR
My dog and family are way too important to me to let a dog ride shotgun. He rides in a crash rated kennel tied down with 2,000lb rated straps. It’s the safest place for him. It’s not about were he wants to ride. Same reason my daughter is in the back seat with a seat belt. I can’t imagine getting in a wreck with a 70lb dog loose in the cab.