Where Else can I Trim Weight

ChrisAU

WKR
Get an HDPE Nalgene (3.75 oz) or just a 1L Dasani Bottle (0.88 oz) and drop the regular nalgene. I'm actually dropping my bladder, bladder carrier, and nalgene this year in favor of 3 Dasani bottles.

generalist

Lil-Rokslider
Also, a steripen is nice but a dirty water bag and filter is half the weight. My BeFree 3L bag with filter is 3.7 oz.

How's your experience been with durability? I've been eyeing that system, but I've seen a fair number of 3 and 4 star reviews criticizing that aspect.

ChrisAU

WKR
How's your experience been with durability? I've been eyeing that system, but I've seen a fair number of 3 and 4 star reviews criticizing that aspect.

This is the first year it will be in action. I don't see how it would be any less durable than a CNOC bag and a Sawyer filter though.

Edit: Also my hunting partner will have the same setup with a 4L bag, another 1.5 oz or so. But we will have redundancy that way.

ianpadron

WKR
Why is your shelter so heavy?

My supertarp with 8 pegs weighs about half of what yours does. Get rid of the extra pegs and ditch the annex.

Why the slick bag? 45 ounces for a 20 degree bag is excessive. The quilt you have is also really heavy for what it is. My 0 degree quilt weighs 30 ounces, a 20 degree should be right around 20 ounces in regular dimensions.

No idea why guys love Nalgene bottles so much. They are so stinkin' heavy. I grab one of those super thin walled 32 or 64 ounce water bottles and pour it out, strap it to the outside of my pack, weighs less than 1 ounce.

No need for a towel and you can dehydrate baby wipes and rehydrate them with regular water.

As for all the chaffing creams and little stuff, you're splitting hairs.

Ditch the stuff I mentioned and you lose 3 pounds.

JRMiller

WKR
Mug/cozy is almost double what my Toaks 750ml weighs
Dont need an 8oz fuel canister for 2-3 days out, a 4oz will do unless your cooking all three meals a day and more than a two cups of water at a time
Unless you feel you feel you really need the Tyvek, a Gossamer gear groundsheet is half that weight
Lot of stuff in that booboo bag. Not that its not important, but you can half most of that by multi-purposing
lot of the clothes doubled. dont need two pants, two jackets, etc. Layer: base, mid, top/shell
1/4 pound for walking stick gloves seems way high
Game bags way heavy, many can be had for 7-15 oz
If you know you'll have regular access to water, i.e. not hiking it in, don't bring wet wipes. Get Viva towels (dry), cut in half, store in zippy. Add some coconut oil if you want. When need a wipe, wet the Vivas, and use away.
Nalgene bottles are heavy. I know guys like to use warm at night in there sleeping bags, but there are other lighter options that can do just as good
Platypus bags are heavy too, Sawyer bags are what i prefer

16Bore

WKR
What’s the most you’d think could come off the base? 2lbs? 3lb?

I don’t think I could tell the difference in 2lb in my pack.

prm

WKR
I guess we should be asking how it went, and what changed as a result?

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
For 2-3 days I would drop:
towel
Babywipes
Extra underwear

I've stopped carrying a pillow. But good sleep is worth a lot more than 2.5 oz if you need it.

Cut back on the medical stuff as you have over a pound. Once upon I time I carried something like three pounds of medical stuff with me, so I get the idea behind it.

I find moleskin to be worthless. Ditch all the bandaids and carry a couple tegaderms (made by 3M), just take body glide, only bring antibiotic ointment (the other antiseptics are worthless, just use water and wash it well). Drop the ace bandage. Drop the nail clippers. Drop the blister kit, if you have problems with blisters reevaluate your socks and boots.

In my experience Vaseline is a terrible idea for chafing as it collects dirt and becomes an abrasive grit slurry.

You can make a chest seal with your emergency blanket and tape, a pack strap can be turned into a tourniquet (or get a SWAT-T as it can also work as a pressure bandage or for gear repair, but they are heavy at 4.2 oz), if you want to carry a hemostatic agent ditch the sponge and get an impregnated gauze. Replace the ABD pad with a triangular bandage (it can do a lot more tricks).

Those Sitka Timberline pants are heavy.