Where Else can I Trim Weight

Could loose 12-16 oz with a lighter bag/quilt.
And you have 4 kinds of tape. Pretty sure 1 or 2 will cover everything.
And 2 different 25' sections of rope?

OP
D

dhmc03

Lil-Rokslider

Thx. Was eying the tape as well.

The rope is redundant... i just need to mentally get there. Thx for calling it out.

I do have a katabatic quilt that is lighter. I put the heavier one in this list for “worse case”

Agree. The bag is about a pound too heavy.

42 ounces seems really heavy for a floorless shelter. I believe many options exist for well under 2lbs.

arwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
Some ideas to get lighter:
- go stove-less menu (save 0.84 lbs)
- quilt vs sleeping bag (save ~1.5 lbs)
- take out the nail clippers
- get rid of your four types of chaffing creams/powders (try anti-monkey butt powder, seriously a game changer for chaffing, far better than anything I've ever used)
- leave some of the tapes and extra AA batteries behind
- under bino harness I would take out small matches, wet fire cubes, lens wipe, 2 extra blades, emergency blanket, rope and extra petzl light.
- way too many clothes - eliminate extra underwear, fanatic hoody, 1 of the 2 puffy tops, 1 of 2 pairs of pants and facemask
- take out floss and towel
- can you get by just drinking from your bladder and hose and leave the Nalgene behind?

I see a lot of "what if" scenario items in your pack list. I think once you have half a dozen trips in you'll start to realize that some of these items you thought you needed for that what if scenario, you don't, and will start to pull from the pack. Best of luck!

I’d add a needle, your floss is good thread. Used one more than once on a back country hunt.

I’d ditch the Nalgene bottle for an empty Gatorade container myself. Lighter and doesn’t slosh as loudly.

Camera? GPS? Or iPhone? Charger? Ditch some of the extra batteries but start new in all devices using disposables especially Rangefinder battery.

Glassing pad? recommend 3 sections of a Thermarest Z-lite.

Weapon? Arrows, broadheads? Calls? Bugle tube?

Good luck!!!

Felix40

WKR
Are you sure the weight is right on those game bags? That seems super heavy for boned out bags....

The bags I run are under 8oz for the set. Add in a sheet and gloves and its a 10oz deal.

sargent

WKR
Ok. From the top. A lighter bag and a regular or short length pad. Lose the tourniquet and maybe the chest seal (I'm not sure what that is.) Take half the moleskin and lose the nail clippers, tweezers, and all but one chaffing med. Lose the aqua seal and duck tape (or tenacious tape). Lose the emergency blanket (you can substitute your contractor bag if you get in a real jam.) Lose the extra socks, extra undies, either the base layer bottoms or the puffy pants, and one puffy jacket. Ditch the towel. Substitute Smart water bottle and aquamira tabs or drops for Nalgene and steripen. If you do all this and lose a pound on your bag and 4 ounces on your pad, you'll save yourself about 5 pounds 10 ounces. Thanks for posting your list. It got me thinking about some places I could lighten up as well. Have fun and good luck.

kiddogy

WKR
lose the pillow.
lose a pair of pants . imho your packing way more clothes then necessary.
seems you've got a chaffing issue but could probably lose the butt cream and vasaline.
how much tape does one really need?
1.6 oz for wind check???? lose it and just put the wind in yer face.
you got a sleeping bag ,drop the emergency blanket.

pick a hoodie ,lose the other.

Mosby

WKR
I would loose the bleeder kit and reduce the first aid kit down to some Leuko tape and band aids and a few other small items. I leave a bigger first aid kit in my truck. Like Sargent suggested, replace the Nalgene with a 1 liter Smart Water bottle. A small amount of tape around your poles, 50 ft or cordage, a bic, fire starter, your kill kit, headlamp + change of batteries. Bring the minimum.

You have too much clothing. Some of it depends on the expected weather and temps but you don't need two of everything. What you are wearing in and an extra pair of socks, underwear, gloves and maybe an extra layer beside your puffy and leave everything else in the truck. You normally don't need more than that.

You can certainly reduce your sleep system weight but is the one area that I don't cheat or minimize. I bring a good tent, pillow, a full size pad and a warm bag. If I don't sleep everything else is irrelevant.

OP
D

dhmc03

Lil-Rokslider
Appreciate everyones input

Fyi as someone else pointed out my clothes list is deceiving - much of it is zerod out. Meaning its not actually going with me. Just inventory.

OP
D

dhmc03

Lil-Rokslider
Are you sure the weight is right on those game bags? That seems super heavy for boned out bags....

The bags I run are under 8oz for the set. Add in a sheet and gloves and its a 10oz deal.

Yeah they are heavier than I expected too

What bags are you using?

ChrisAU

WKR
I suggest refining your list into skin out weight and work from there. Boots and bow will swell that up quick. Your legs don't care if its in your hands, on your back, or on your feet, you'll still be lugging it up the mountain.

Some weights are a bit suspect too, what in the world are using for this at 0.8 oz total:

antiseptic, alcohol, hydrocortizone, antibiotic, sting, burn

That is also an extremely light compass, got a link? haha