Where for griz? Kodiak, ak peninsula or kamcatcha Russia

slim23

Lil-Rokslider
I am looking for a grizzly backpack hunt for 2014 or 15. I will be hunting with a muzzleloader and getting a 10ft bear is not near as important as having a great hunt with quite a few bears seen and a guide who will work hard. I hear Russia is cheaper but the extra hassle might not be worth it. Hate to bargin shop on a trip like this. Thoughts? Recommended guide?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
You can hunt the interior of Alaska as well for a bargin compared to guided Kodiak or AK pen generally. Smaller bears 8'+ is a nice one, but there are some 9'+ ones. My bro and I got one when I was 17 and he was 15 behind the house that was 9.5' and is currently number 7 or 8 all time boone and crockett so they are there. Generally they'll run ya quite a bit less than the places the 10'+ ones roam for sure and its still a great experience.

swat8888

WKR
You can just follow me around on my sheep hunts, every year my partner and I run into Griz when I don't have any intentions/space in my pack to shoot one.

OP
slim23

slim23

Lil-Rokslider
The more I research I am surprised at the price differences in different areas. I would think that part of this is just the mystique surrounding Kodiak. Or is it that much better?

akrdkill

WKR
think of it as only so many outfitter/guides per area.....high costs of getting there....does their price include airfare to/from camp?? lots to consider

TEmbry

WKR
In my research it is both the mystique of Kodiak since it truly does have much bigger bears on average...but also the higher costs of getting there and outfitting there.

If you aren't looking for a true monster and just the experience then I too would mark Kodiak off my list as a non resident.

VernAK

WKR
I found most of the Peninsula to be easier walking than Kodiak and the bears are nearly the same for size.
To me, the quality of the fur is more important than the size.

2rocky

WKR
I think it is important to differentiate between the Brown and Grizzly as well. I think that has a lot to do with the expense.

This is from Boone and Crockett,

Brown, Grizzly and Polar Bears
The boundary separating grizzly bear (white) from Alaska brown bear (shaded).
boundaries_griz.gif

The big brown bears are found on Kodiak and Afognak Islands, the Alaska Peninsula, and eastward and southeastward along the coast of Alaska. The smaller interior grizzly is found in the remaining parts of the continent. The boundary between the two was first defined as an imaginary line extending 75 miles inland from the coast of Alaska. Later this boundary was more precisely defined with the current definition as follows:

A line of separation between the larger growing coastal brown bear and the smaller interior grizzly has been developed such that west and south of this line (to and including Unimak Island) bear trophies are recorded as Alaska brown bear. North and east of this line, bear trophies are recorded as grizzly bear. The boundary line description is as follows: Starting at Pearse Canal and following the Canadian-Alaskan boundary northwesterly to Mt. St. Elias on the 141 degree meridian; thence north along the Canadian-Alaskan boundary to Mt. Natazhat; thence west northwest along the divide of the Wrangell Range to Mt. Jarvis at the western end of the Wrangell Range; thence north along the divide of the Mentasta Range to Mentasta Pass; thence in a general westerly direction along the divide of the Alaska Range to Houston Pass; thence westerly following the 62nd parallel of latitude to the Bering Sea.

OP
slim23

slim23

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone had any dealings with frank bishop on Kodiak. A friend of a friend has helped guide with him and it seems to be exactly what I am wanting size and price wise.

jherald

WKR
You may look into a South East Alaska hunt. A buddy killed a solid 9' brownie out of Yakutat last year. Don't know about bear guides though since we've never had to use one. There's several areas to hunt south east ak. Admiralty Island, Baranof Island, Chichagof Island and the mainland area. I would take a serious look into that. You could add a few Sitka Blacktails to the hunt as well and have some sweet meat, that is if your hunting in the fall. It's beautiful in south east ak. Spent several months in Sitka and some time on Admiralty. It's all old growth rainforest, just an awesome area.

TXCO

WKR
Id love to hear any more input on some of these bear areas...

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I can recommend Red Bear Guides for peninsula brown bear - hunted with a guide named Jim Wagget. Just an outstanding bear guide IMO. I did a 2x1 hunt in the fall with them. The hunting was difficult due to lack of salmon that came up our stream. My buddy took a 9'+ bear with his bow. I never had an opportunity but Jim was fantastic. I plan to go back and hunt with him on a return trip soon.

Coop

Maxhunter

WKR
I have an outfitter that is great. I hunted with him back in 2011 for brownies the hunting was tough and I never got an opportunity but I was hunting with a bow on the Kenai Peninsula. We had one come by the tent on my side at about 3 yard just before we were getting out for the day. My guide stated is was at least a 9ft bear. You need his contact info please email me. I'm headed back in 2014.

Bighorse

WKR
I'm hunting Brown Bear with my daughter this next week on Admiralty and Baranof. There are big bear to be had. The hunting is a little more discouraging because of the thick brush so your blindly setting up and anticipating travel and feed zones. Like all AK locations, weather, travel, and logistics are tricky. Many guides are to be had and I can't recommend just one.

Bighorse

WKR
Thanks! We've got a grand adventure planned. It's all DYI stuff. It's really been an evolution in gear and experience. I'm not taking it too lightly. I know plenty of guys would give up plenty to have the exprience I'm ready to take. Boating and hunting the remote islands of SE Alaska is a grand treat for any outdoorsman. We have a mobile camp with my Seek Outside 12p tepee and stove. I'll be using my packraft to hike deep into estuaries and paddle out with the stream or tide. With success I'll be floating out a mondo Brownie with Lily. I've got a big combo Prawn and Crab trap I'm lugging along for bonus eats. My GoPro has four batteries ready for service and the biggest possible memory card. Footage of my daughter laying the heat down on a bigun would be very very cool.

OP
slim23

slim23

Lil-Rokslider
sounds like a awesome trip. the advantage of living in alaska for sure. I am going to kodiak next spring after talking with frank bishop. a asistant guide/packer of his is a friend of a friend of mine. i am also trying to plan a trip to the kuiu/kupernof? island area for black bear in a few more years