Where is the Ammo Really Going?

Mine won't. My son and nephews will get it all. Bad day for me will be a good day for them.
I’ve always told my brother. If something happens to me, don’t let my wife sell my guns and outdoor gear for what I told her I paid for them. I guess the same goes for my reloading components.

People are buying as much as they can and reselling it. I’ve seen the same dude and his wife in line in delivery day. They get the max of 5 boxes of 9mm/223 every time, each. You know they aren’t shooting 250 per week each. I’m sure they are reselling it and doubling their money. It was the same with 22lr a few years back.
They could be shooting it. I was never a guy to buy and store ammo. Right after the lockdowns started, I’m sure out of boredom, my son developed a real interest in shooting. It only took a couple trips out to blow through what I had. I was the dumb guy buying at current prices and every time we bought what we could, we shot it.

If prices ever go back to pre planned demic, I’m going to be a basement hoarder for sure.

In times past when there were shortages I often heard about how local police agencies were running short of ammo, could not find enough for their guys to practice, were reducing the number of quals per year etc because of lack of ammo, etc.
This time around, I have not heard, seen, or read one peep about the police agencies being short on ammo. Not one word.

Sled

WKR
In times past when there were shortages I often heard about how local police agencies were running short of ammo, could not find enough for their guys to practice, were reducing the number of quals per year etc because of lack of ammo, etc.
This time around, I have not heard, seen, or read one peep about the police agencies being short on ammo. Not one word.

It's been in certain news reports but not all. I also watch a lot of mainstream media and notice they haven't mentioned it. Probably wouldn't play well to most of the audience. Or it could be celebrated by most the audience. Who knows

amassi

WKR
The last shortage coincided with a huge budget shortfall across the nation. Departments couldn't afford range ammo and officers couldt find ammo on the shelves. No such budget shortfall exists today

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

jmez

WKR
The last shortage coincided with a huge budget shortfall across the nation. Departments couldn't afford range ammo and officers couldt find ammo on the shelves. No such budget shortfall exists today

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
SD law enforcement isn't getting any ammo.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

FWIw I walked into my local gun store Friday and they had a better selection of ammo than I have seen in months. At least 1-2 flavors of each major ”tactical” caliber and a decent selection of hunting rifle rounds in various flavors. prices were still up but not stupid. Guns in Cases were fuller than they have been in a year and a half and the inventory was close to pre stupidity levels with the exception of being light on higher end ARs and a few pistol lines. For a Friday afternoon, foot traffic was way, way down. First time since 2019 I have seen more employees than customers in the place. Chatting with the counter guy, he said their distributor is delivering a lot of backordered stuff along wit current orders.

awasome

Lil-Rokslider
Ammo gettin better for anyone?

Here in SE Virginia stores are starting to have 5.56/.223 and 9mm regularly and the prices have dropped a little bit. The local stores have received in a lot of hunting ammo where earlier in the year you couldn't find it. Obviously it is because firearm hunting season is coming up and they want to make money.

Just this weekend I was able to pick up 100 rds of 6.5creedmoore ( 40rds Hornady 143gr ELDX, 20rds S&B 131gr, and 40rds Federal Fusion 140gr), 100rds of Federal American Eagle 5.56 range ammo, 50rds of Fiocchi 9mm range ammo for under $300. Still expensive, but cheaper than 2020 and early 2021 prices.

Johnson27

Lil-Rokslider
Still looking for 20g sabot slugs in my area. No one has any and I've been looking for 2 months. Still have a month before shotgun season so hopefully I can finds some soon.

This got me thinking a lot. Yesterday had chat with my neighbor, he's been working at Federal Cartridge for nearly 20-years in Anoka, MN. He told me yesterday that that they make and produce 1-million Rounds of ammo per day there between Rimfire, Centerfire and Shot-shell, mind you he said again 1-million per day/3-shifts. They get shipped to Distributors then. One of my best friends/Hunting Buddy also works there but is the Buyer for all Ammo Components to keep the lines going and he confirmed this as well.

This is just one of the Manufactures People, just one of Many who produce Ammo. My neighbor really thinks there is one group out there buying up most of the ammo from the Distributors or once it goes to market.

Take a wild guess who's buying it all up or at least most of it. This really got me thinking.

He thinks this group is buying up close to 75% of all ammo once at Distribution. There should be more on the shelves out there.

Just my 2-cents. I know this has been Discussed to death but he gave me some real numbers on one of the manufactures, just one of them.

Yes, those two guys are great to have as friends if you know what I mean......lol
Government.

seww

WKR
I heard from a gun shop that there are 3 calibers that are super hard to come by: 6,5 creedmoor, 7mm and a third one I cannot remember.
They had pallets of .223, 9mm, .308, 30-06 etc. And as we were leaving they received another 8 pallets of ammo.

Does anyone think that prices will ever come back down, even if inventory comes back? I’m not so sure.

CorbLand

WKR
Does anyone think that prices will ever come back down, even if inventory comes back? I’m not so sure.
The floor has been raised, so I would doubt it will come back down to 2016-2019 prices but yes, pricing will come back down eventually. Increased production, with falling demand will cause it. If things mellow back out, I would bet in the next 2 years you will see it back down to ~13 bucks a box for 9MM.