Where is the Ammo Really Going?

zacattack

WKR
Went into the local sportsman warehouse the other day, plenty of .308 and .223, a few random oddballs and some sky high .22 wmr.

fmyth

WKR

gabenzeke

WKR
The military manufactures some or all of their components, right? Someone needs to enact a law (as much as I hate the government and their laws) where the military has to sell any surplus and they have to operate at full capacity when some sort of condition is met regarding availability. Hell, were already paying for it. Might as well get some benefit.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Just about anything somewhat common is out there to be bought. Might not be at a price you like, but it is there. I wouldn't let ammo being 2x as much keep me from shooting at least a few boxes before hunting season. In the grand scheme of things the extra ammo cost is a drop in the bucket compared to the expense of all the gear, travel and time so many of us do.

WCB

WKR
The military manufactures some or all of their components, right? Someone needs to enact a law (as much as I hate the government and their laws) where the military has to sell any surplus and they have to operate at full capacity when some sort of condition is met regarding availability. Hell, were already paying for it. Might as well get some benefit.

5.56, 7.62, and .50. 5.56 and 7.62 surplus is sold already to the civilian market. Really nothing else for the public to buy. The "common" calibers that may be used by the govt is made by your regular old ammo companies under contract.

7 mm rem mag is a pretty common caliber. And with the exception of a few particular brands in the $4/6 per bullet range, there is nothing available. None of the brands/ bullets I use in my 7mm mag are available anywhere I can find at any price. Try to find 160 gr in partition, accubond, or TSX.
Luckily I have plenty for hunting. Just can’t go shooting any extra.

WCB

WKR
Does anyone think that prices will ever come back down, even if inventory comes back? I’m not so sure.
Absolutely not back down to what they were previously unless material prices drop dramatically. They will/should come back down a large percentage. AND, if ammo sales get like they were 2016ish-19ish you will see rebates coming back etc. which will help with price. But as someone else stated the floor is raised as the cost of operation has increased more so than normal.

gabenzeke

WKR
5.56, 7.62, and .50. 5.56 and 7.62 surplus is sold already to the civilian market. Really nothing else for the public to buy. The "common" calibers that may be used by the govt is made by your regular old ammo companies under contract.
Primers was what I meant. I believe they make their own.

TheGDog

WKR

So... if we're already paying for it... why should we be paying again for it?

ETtikka

WKR
Gun sales are down from last year so you would think ammo would be coming back

I was at sportsman warehouse yesterday , they had 6mm cm , a bunch of weatherby ammo (90-130$/box), some overpriced 223 , little bit of overpriced 308,

plenty of rifles , most in 6.5prc , or mag calibers which they didn’t have ammo for and it they did it would be 4$ a round after tax

very depressing

CHSD

WKR
I hope when prices come down, everyone stocks up their favorite hunting ammo. I'm afraid a few of my buddies that are looking for ammo as season comes up will be in this same situation the next time this happens.

Opah

WKR
Bass pro shop still gets bought out in one day, of all the standard over priced stuff.
I got a BPS credit Card just so I could get in an hour before everyone else. and still had a guy run in between aisles jump the rope to get in front of me.
He had a box of ammo from on line and then proceeded to buy up all of what was on the shelf of the caliber he was buying.
Then he heard the murmur of people saying they should mug him in the parking lot.
The crazies are still there, still buying truck lots of toilet paper and bottled water.
Buy the way he was one of the ones continuing to wear a mask every where.

Opah

WKR
But I do recommend continuing to pick up extra !
Extra water TP ammo can food, don't go crazy just try to Keep a couple months of stuff on the shelf's.
Because the one thing I can guaranty is this is not over by far.