Where is the best place to see bears in Utah?

Jbrow327

FNG
I live in Utah and I have never seen a bear. I am not going to hunt one. I just want to know from people who have knowledge of Utah, where is the best place to see one? Preferably from a road or not too far off of a road because I don't want to be attacked.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
My friend who has been there on an Elk hunt said he saw both bear and Mt. lions. He was hunting in the NW section of the state. Exact area I'm not certain. I know he was dry camping and not close to easy access roads.

OP
J

Jbrow327

FNG
My friend who has been there on an Elk hunt said he saw both bear and Mt. lions. He was hunting in the NW section of the state. Exact area I'm not certain. I know he was dry camping and not close to easy access roads.
NW utah is desert and the great salt lake. He must have been somewhere else.

Okhotnik

WKR
LR4600H.jpg

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Sounds like the Tushar mountains. By section, you mean where he's allowed to hunt, correct?
I only know what he told me, I have never been there. It is not really a section as in 1 sq. mile. he told me it is a very large area and going up to over 10,000 ft. If you say Tushar Mt. I'll see what he has to say.

def90

WKR
Find a restaurant on the edge of town and sit in your car within view of the dumpster some time after the sun sets.

At least in Colorado I have had most of my bear sightings over the years in town near dumpsters.

Bears are very difficult to hunt/find in their own native habitat which is why so many bear hunters sit over gut piles, feeders or use hounds to track them. They are silent as **** while moving through the woods and despite their size and color they disappear quick once they get in to a couple trees. All of my wild bear encounters have been complete surprise/happenstance, I’ve never seen one while actively looking for one.

I think Utah offers pursuit-only tags with hounds whereby you can’t shoot the bear. As a resident, you could probably easily get one of these tags and then meet a few houndsmen that need to train or exercise their hounds. You could probably meet these houndsmen at one of the upcoming outdoor shows. Pay for their gasoline and weekend alcohol and they will probably run their dogs for free?? Just thinking out loud here….

San Juan in UT, it’s by Blanding and Monticello. Look for berries and acorns in areas with lots of oakbrush. La Sals, Wasatch, etc.