Where should hunters go when they visit YELLOWSTONE?

cravingame

Lil-Rokslider
Any suggestion of must-see places in Yellowstone that outdoorsmen would find more interesting than the caravans of RVs?

If this Antelope hunt ends quick I want to take my brother and my three adult sons to see a bit more of the west! Maybe get our lines wet. Maybe breath some thin air!

Thanks for any suggestions!

Jake from NC

Yellow Stone I'd an amazing place for about a day. Unless you get away from the roads and board walks. It does have some great fishing and great trails..but the full surrounding area is also fantastic. You will probably be more interest in the north and east side of the park up around Lamar Valley. But I would also drop down south to the Tetons.

We were there the first week of September last year, You can watch several herds of elk from the pull offs in the Hayden valley. Its totally canned and not reality, but its still fun to watch rutting bulls. Got some video of a couple sparing and watched a herd bull chase a little rag horn off. You need some optics to really watch the show. A week after we were out there was when A grizzly took down a nice bull in the river and somebody got it recorded and all over the internet.

Go to the park early, predawn if you can. Tourists get thick by mid AM. The various pools and big gysers Are worth seeing and the falls. I saw more animals in and around the Lamar valley - buf, bear, wolf, pronghorn - than anywhere else.

Look at some day hikes. as with most place, if you hike a quarter mile from the parking lot the crowds thin out.

finally, don’t underestimate distances. Yellow stone is big. I seem to recall being shocked that the drive from one attraction to another was like 70 miles (Old faithful inn to Lamar valley)

Go to the park early, predawn if you can. Tourists get thick by mid AM. The various pools and big gysers Are worth seeing and the falls. I saw more animals in and around the Lamar valley - buf, bear, wolf, pronghorn - than anywhere else.

Look at some day hikes. as with most place, if you hike a quarter mile from the parking lot the crowds thin out.

finally, don’t underestimate distances. Yellow stone is big. I seem to recall being shocked that the drive from one attraction to another was like 70 miles (Old faithful inn to Lamar valley)
And with a top speed limit of I think.like 35 or 40mph. Then getting stuck in traffic because people have to stop and look at every single Buffalo. Even if they have seen the other 2000+ Buffalo in the park.

mlgc20

WKR
I go to Yellowstone at least once a year for a backcountry hiking/fishing trip. In fact, I leave next Friday for an 8-day, 70 mile hike and fishing trip. The Greater Yellowstone area is my favorite place on Earth. If you don’t mind hiking, there is some incredible landscapes and fishing.

Slough Creek - The trail starts near the Slough Creek campground. The trail is really a two lane dirt road, so it’s easy to follow and easy hiking. Fantastic fishing. I’ve never gone back there and not seen at least one grizzly.

Black Canyon of Yellowstone - There are multiple ways to get into the Black Canyon. And the hiking is difficult no matter which way you choose. But, the fishing reward is worth it.

Lamar River - Pretty much all parts of the Lamar River are fun to fish. There tend to be a lot of elk and bison in that area. So, you have to pay attention. A lot of the Lamar can be accessed pretty easily.

Yellowstone Lake - You don’t need to hike far to get to the Lake. But, the further you get from people, the better the fishing. Catching those large lake trout on ultralight spinning gear is a blast.

Note that the road from Canyon to Tower is closed this year. And skip Old Faithful. Too many people. Best of luck on your hunt.

RayG

FNG
For me, one of the perks of going to Yellowstone is driving the Beartooth hwy from Red Lodge to the west entrance. Of course you can drive it the opposite direction to escape the park.

406life

Lil-Rokslider
I'd encourage you to read about some history of the park before you go, it will make it more meaningful. Crowds will also began to thin out by the time hunting season arrives.

For outdoorsmen:

1. MT Washburn: you'll seek mountain goats and sheep.
2. Sheepeaters/Tukudika Sheeptraps. These will be difficult to find, but very cool history. Check out the western history museum in Jackson for a really good display and more info to find them in YNP.
3. Lamar Valley: this is the Serengeti. Find a pull off and sit for few hours into the sunset. Worth it.
4. Specimen Ridge and petrified forest area. This does not get very much attention, but is really cool. Again, you need to know the history behind the area.
5. Mammoth area: this is the original HQ of the park when the army was trying to protect it. Talafiero's book on Grinnell has some good history here of the poaching that happened.

wytx

WKR
We were there the first week of September last year, You can watch several herds of elk from the pull offs in the Hayden valley. Its totally canned and not reality, but its still fun to watch rutting bulls. Got some video of a couple sparing and watched a herd bull chase a little rag horn off. You need some optics to really watch the show. A week after we were out there was when A grizzly took down a nice bull in the river and somebody got it recorded and all over the internet.
I'm curious what was "canned" ? You think the elk are put there for folks to see or they let them out of a pen for viewing ? The elk rut is not canned in the park, it is a natural rut but in a park setting.
I'm just confused by the canned comment.

mlgc20

WKR
I'd encourage you to read about some history of the park before you go, it will make it more meaningful. Crowds will also began to thin out by the time hunting season arrives.

For outdoorsmen:

1. MT Washburn: you'll seek mountain goats and sheep.
2. Sheepeaters/Tukudika Sheeptraps. These will be difficult to find, but very cool history. Check out the western history museum in Jackson for a really good display and more info to find them in YNP.
3. Lamar Valley: this is the Serengeti. Find a pull off and sit for few hours into the sunset. Worth it.
4. Specimen Ridge and petrified forest area. This does not get very much attention, but is really cool. Again, you need to know the history behind the area.
5. Mammoth area: this is the original HQ of the park when the army was trying to protect it. Talafiero's book on Grinnell has some good history here of the poaching that happened.
Agree 100% with your post. And while Mt. Washburn is incredible, the trails for Mt. Washburn are closed this year. Just FYI.

I'm curious what was "canned" ? You think the elk are put there for folks to see or they let them out of a pen for viewing ? The elk rut is not canned in the park, it is a natural rut but in a park setting.
I'm just confused by the canned comment.
The "totally canned" comment is more just a reaction to how easily you can watch 3 world class bulls on the same hill side 5' off the pavement with several hundred other people. Being a guy that's still trying to punch his first elk tag I'd equate watching rutting bulls in yellowstone to the hunters equivalent of going to a really high end strip club, you know when and where to go, you know there will be several 10's, you're going to see some cool stuff but its probably not going to translate to the real world, you can look but you can't touch, and none of the other guys getting excited in sniffers row are going to be taking anything home either. It is a good time though, and again, I'd recommend it to anyone.

Last edited:
And with a top speed limit of I think.like 35 or 40mph. Then getting stuck in traffic because people have to stop and look at every single Buffalo. Even if they have seen the other 2000+ Buffalo in the park.
The worst was being backed up for 15-20 minutes one time only to get to the front to see it was for Canadian Geese. My wife still talks about my reaction to that.

wyodan

WKR
The "totally canned" comment is more just a reaction to how easily you can watch 3 world class bulls on the same hill side 5' off the pavement with several hundred other people. Being a guy that's still trying to punch his first elk tag I'd equate watching rutting bulls in yellowstone to the hunters equivalent of going to a really high end strip club, you know when and where to go, you know there will be several 10's, you're going to see some cool stuff but its probably not going to translate to the real world, you can look but you can't touch, and none of the other guys getting excited in sniffers row are going to be taking anything home either. Its is a good time though, and again, I'd recommend it to anyone.
Solid analogy!!

mlgc20

WKR
The "totally canned" comment is more just a reaction to how easily you can watch 3 world class bulls on the same hill side 5' off the pavement with several hundred other people. Being a guy that's still trying to punch his first elk tag I'd equate watching rutting bulls in yellowstone to the hunters equivalent of going to a really high end strip club, you know when and where to go, you know there will be several 10's, you're going to see some cool stuff but its probably not going to translate to the real world, you can look but you can't touch, and none of the other guys getting excited in sniffers row are going to be taking anything home either. Its is a good time though, and again, I'd recommend it to anyone.
There are very few perfect analogies in this world. But, this one of them. Well done.

FLATHEAD

WKR
Very cool place.
You will get tired of seeing Buffalo.
Asians must love the place.
Dont corner any animals, inadvertently or otherwise. They will run over you!!
If walking around keep your head on a swivel. Stuff shows up in the darndest places.

def90

WKR
If you are a miltary history buff then the Museum of Military Vehicles in Dubois Wy is a must see, on par with any other world class museum. Spend a few days in Livingston or Boseman fishing, some good fishing in Idaho off the west Yellowstone entrance as well, Jackson Wy is always a good bet for world class dining as well as hiking and whatever in Teton NP. All depends on what you are looking for. If you want to explore Yellowstone without as much of the crowd or the bison traffic jams stay away from the west and southern entrances. The north end from Livingston and off to the east through the lamar valley will give you smaller crowds and a good chance of seeing some wolf packs in action.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
The avalanche peak hike is a good workout, I saw sheep up there and you get like d of a cool view of the Tetons from the top. I didn’t see anybody when I went there.

The thunderer is also a good peak to climb, nobody there either, saw lots of elk out that way.