Where should I start building points for me and my son?

ckswall

FNG
Starting to do some research on where might be a great state/unit destination for me and my son to go on an elk hunt together down the road. He is only 4 years old so I am talking about one of those tags that takes 10+ years to draw. I have always been told Utah would be a great destination but some recent podcasts I listened to mentioned that point creep was so bad in that state that I might not draw in my lifetime. Any suggestions and as always thanks in advance everyone!

Calbuck

WKR
You don’t mention if you’re already hunting elk or not..I’d get out in a few states you’re interested in with cow tags or just go check them out..by the time you draw your hunt with your son, you’ll have boots on the ground experience and prob some good memories as well.

OP
ckswall

ckswall

FNG
You don’t mention if you’re already hunting elk or not..I’d get out in a few states you’re interested in with cow tags or just go check them out..by the time you draw your hunt with your son, you’ll have boots on the ground experience and prob some good memories as well.

Yes, this will be my 2nd season hunting elk and I actually started chasing them now for those very reasons. I am hoping by the time he is old enough to start going with me I'll have some spots to take him and enough knowledge to pass along to give him a jump start.

Calbuck

WKR
I’ve taken my son on two elk hunts so far..both to Arizona..we drew cow tags for one and bull tags for the second..we saw lots of elk and had a great time on both hunts..didn’t take a ton of points either, as they were late season hunts. Otherwise, seems like Colorado has OTC tags as well as draw hunts available. Idaho has OTC tags as well as draw hunts that don’t use a points system. I’ve personally drawn two rifle bull tags in Idaho. Not sure about Wyoming or Montana. Nevada is usually very difficult to draw for non-residents. You could also check out New Mexico.

muddydogs

WKR
All that you can afford, point creep is bad in most states so a lot of it is just luck in the random draw so the more times your name is in the pool the better and the more states the better. Once your son is old enough to start purchasing points a lot of states have youth rates so build all the cheap points for him that you can before he turns 17 or 18.

Might want to check into states that have mentor programs, not sure what Utah non resident mentor program is like, might be the same as resident. As a Utah resident I can mentor a young person which means they can fill my tag, I build points for deer and antelope doe so I can take my grandsons on an easier first hunt. I figured I would have to mentor my grandson on his first buck deer hunt this year but he actually drew his own tag.

bsnedeker

WKR
Here's my advice...DON'T! Rather than dumping all that money into points you should just start a savings account for him and take all the money you would put into buying points and licenses and just save up so you can buy him a landowner tag when he's in his 20's. Spend the rest of your time in his teens buying OTC or tags that don't require points and build up elk hunting experience.

I think the point system is a game for suckers personally.

I think the point system started out as a good thing but has turned into a game for suckers as the poster above mentioned in states as WY and UT where you will never get enough for the top units. I wouldn't start now.
Put the point money into Apple or Amazon stock and buy a landowner tag.....

There are plenty of places to hunt elk that don't require buying points.

Ucsdryder

WKR
He’s 4. Let’s be realistic. With point creep there’s a good chance he’ll hunt a great unit when he’s in his 60s because the 1000s in front of him all died while waiting. Screw the points. Put the 500 dollars a year you’d be putting into points in a mutual fund and when he turns 16 take him on a hunt. Then when he graduates high school take him on another hunt. Then when he graduates college reward him with 1 more. Have fun!!

OP
ckswall

ckswall

FNG
Thanks for all the feedback. Sounds like you all saved me a lot of time researching. I love the idea of putting money back in a separate account to take him on a big hunt.

Sorry for my lack of knowledge here, but is the landowner tag something that you usually purchase through an outfitter or is it through the state agency?

KHNC

WKR
Landowner tags in New Mexico are readily available. They have to be as the ranchers depend on them to put food on table for their poor families.