Where should top pin be?

philcox

WKR
On my spot Hogg fast Eddie, I didn’t have to think about this, but have a new Black Gold Pro, and really don’t know where my top pin should be aligned in the housing. Any suggestions? My bow shoots about 295 ft. feet per second with my arrow setup. I am planning on 30-40-50. I’d like to have my dial “down” as far as I can. I don’t plan on hunting that distance, but would love to be able to target shoot at 120+

currently the top pin is at 25. Not done anything for bottom 2.

Attachments

• 8DD56B7C-EB7E-48D7-B824-E581624505D4.jpeg
    8DD56B7C-EB7E-48D7-B824-E581624505D4.jpeg
    131.6 KB · Views: 49
I think it depends on where you like to aim and which pin will be your floater.

I like to aim at the center of the scope housing, so I move my top pins up for the shorter yardage. I would still have 30, 40, and 50 will my bottom pin being a floater in the center of the scope housing.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mosby

WKR
On my spot Hogg fast Eddie, I didn’t have to think about this, but have a new Black Gold Pro, and really don’t know where my top pin should be aligned in the housing. Any suggestions? My bow shoots about 295 ft. feet per second with my arrow setup. I am planning on 30-40-50. I’d like to have my dial “down” as far as I can. I don’t plan on hunting that distance, but would love to be able to target shoot at 120+

I was told the top pin should be in the upper third of your sight housing.

On a 3 pin like that I'd run your top pin to the center of the housing, then let the other two run below center. I always use the bottom pin as my floater. This will give you the most distance out of the housing. You can choose which one to use.

5 pin I keep my top two above center, then 3 below.

Jimbob

WKR
Is the bottom pin going to be your floater? If so set that one first. I put my housing as low as it can go then I set my bottom pin down near the bubble but not too close. Basically I set my sight up as a single pin using the bottom pin. After everything is done I turn the dial to 50 and set my top two pins where I want them.

Reactions: Zac

Zac

WKR
Yeah bottom pin placement is way more important. You want that floater pin very close to your bubble so you can see them simultaneously.

Marble

WKR
I want my floater directly in the center. I set it and then adjust the other pins accordingly.

I dont need my on near my level. Once my bow is level it stays there.

The good thing is it's only April. You've got lots of time to get it how works best for you.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I start with my 50 pin near center of housing or slightly below. Set my 40 and 27 after that. I can get to 104 with a big dog housing set this way shooting just over 280 so with you shooting 295 and a smaller housing you would be close but likely need to drop that floater pin some to make it. Assuming your draw length and anchor point don’t do anything funny to your max range.
theoretically best accuracy should be when your pin is centered in the housing so that is the reason I run mine close to center.
I also set my peep at about the middle of my dial. I set on 75 yards.

I've always set my peep and housing to be naturally aligned with my middle pin at 35 yards in the dead center of the housing. The top is 20 and bottom is 50. This removes pin clutter and keeps the bottom pin low enough to help with extended range. Shooting upper 280's

prm

WKR
My bow is shooting closer to 280, and the sight is set for 20-30-40, with the floater (40) just below the center.

H80Hunter

WKR
To maximize distance set the bottom pin as low as you can in the housing and gang adjust to get that one dialed in for 50. Then sight in the 30 and 40 pins above it and if you’re happy with they fall go with that. If you ARENT then you can go back and play with it all.

Joe Holden

Lil-Rokslider
I generally have my 5th and bottom pin as my floater. When sighting in, I'll rough everything in enough to verify my 60 is correct and 70 is just over the level (-ish). Once that's correct, I move forward to verify closer pins. It works for me and gives the max room possible for the slider function and distance shooting.