Where the HECK are you buying ammo?

ptwysocki

FNG
Does anyone have a recommendation on where to find some 12 gauged lead load 5-6 shot? I know I COULD use 7 1/2, but late season/preserve roosters I'd rather just be safe with 6 or even 5 if that's all that is available.

I found ONE box for $70 offered... YIKES!

I had a smart father who stocked us up before the season, and now I'm running low. Boy would I be mad if I had an opportunity to get on birds and couldn't because I wasn't able to get any ammo...

Local gun shops are all out. Local Cabelas is out. 3 online retailers I usually use are out. I'm assuming if you run out of ammo at this point your year is just finished?? Hope not...

*zap*

WKR
wally here has shotgun shells, I will check for 12 gauge 5-6 in lead.

Last edited:

Bdm6686

FNG
Scheels has some minimal selection on shotgun ammo in store, sportsman’s has some, slim pickings though for sure.

jmez

WKR
No rifle or pistol ammo here but everyone has shotgun shells.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Rob5589

WKR
Shotgun is the only thing I can find currently. Do you have a Sportsman's Warehouse nearby?

Fatcamp

WKR
Scheels here has a bunch of shotgun ammo. They also have .300 and 7mm RM ammo. And 6mm Creedmoor.

Sheepdog

FNG
Start reloading. I can reload good nickel platted shot for $11 bucks a box or less easy.

especially for preserve birds don’t bother with 6’s or bigger. 7 1/2’s are more then plenty and use cyl/IC chokes, Nothing tighter. An 1 1/8 oz 12 ga shell has enough #6 pellets to put 5-7 pellets on a target the size of a pheasant anywhere within a good pattern from an IC choke at 40 yards. 71/2 Will only improve that and help fill in the edge of your pattern as well for the really close shots or when your just a little off.

do some pattern testing and you’ll see those high velocity, high oz loads aren’t everything they are made out to be. You’ll get holier patterns and more ragged edges due to deformed pellets the more shot you try to push or the faster you push it. The first thing that happens that’s hard to see is stringing of the shot column. Heavier loads/faster loads string more. Ever hunted ducks and taken a passing shot at a diver cruzing the edge of the decoy spread and the shot tears up the water with the duck perfectly centered in the pattern, yet it just keeps cruzing? Guys have done testing proving that from the first pellet in a shot to the last can be over 40 feet! How many holes is there for a pterodactyl to fly through if your spreading 300ish pellets within that 40” x 40’ pattern?

Also, a lot of places won’t let you shoot #5’s on a preserve anyways, nor 3” shells or velocities much higher than 1200 FPS for safety/liability reasons.

cfish4422

FNG
Walmart is selling out about 3 minutes after setting what they received that day out, any and all ammo. Ridiculous.