Where the heck is the meateater?

From what I've gathered, they're definitely working on something big. I think Steve is moving to Bozeman. Ben Obrien from Yeti is coming on board and moving to Bozeman. I think they're collaborating with the Wire to Hunt guy, I forget his name.

robie

WKR
From what I've gathered, they're definitely working on something big. I think Steve is moving to Bozeman. Ben Obrien from Yeti is coming on board and moving to Bozeman. I think they're collaborating with the Wire to Hunt guy, I forget his name.

I don't get bringing in the Wired to Hunt guy (Mark Kenyon). Last thing I want to hear about when listening to or watching MeatEater is the struggles of sitting in a tree stand for days on end. Nothing wrong with it but its just not of interest to me, nor does it seem to fit in with what MeatEater has done in the past.

gelton

WKR
As most of us know traditional cable TV is dying and the content creators are really in the drivers seat here. As Randy pointed out, the subscribers want to be where the viewers are. Couple that with the cable outdoor networks selling spots that benefit them instead of the creators and you have a perfect storm where the creators can/should setup their own networks.

I happen to be in the industry (not hunting or outdoor related) but Over the Top (OTT) broadcast and have suggested to some of them that they build their own network which these days isnt a very hard task.

Consider Steve Rinella, Newberg, Jacobsen, SoloHunter, Gritty, Born & Raised, [insert any name here] having their own network with a single app and delivering content via [insert any streaming service - Roku, Hulu, Netflix, Prime] with a load of sponsors behind them (and in this case the creators get to share the sponsorship $$ instead of handing it over to Sportsmans Channel et al.) and I think it would be a great success. In fact, it already has been, however this is for individual shows. Why they haven't teamed up yet, I have no idea.

While they may not need my input, I know all of the pieces to the puzzle, all they would need to bring is their already established network of content creators and sponsors. For now they are giving away their content on these platforms in an AVOD model (Advertising based Video on Demand) but they could also charge a nominal fee for less ads (SVOD) Subscription Based Video on Demand.

Either way I think the future is bright for creators and dim for the cable networks.

Chrisamx

FNG
Too bad many of the good shows moving on. I hate all the new shows with people naming the animal they are after. Especially don't like the giddy celebrations. Doesn't present a very good picture of hunting.

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member

Hunt Harvest Health is on their way to Bozeman as well. I asked Ryan when him and Tanya are moving :D

Pro953

WKR
I don't get bringing in the Wired to Hunt guy (Mark Kenyon). Last thing I want to hear about when listening to or watching MeatEater is the struggles of sitting in a tree stand for days on end. Nothing wrong with it but its just not of interest to me, nor does it seem to fit in with what MeatEater has done in the past.

I do not think it has much to do with eastern hunting. Mark Kenyon is very versed in digital marketing and technology of such sorts. I believe he is part of the effort to improve efforts in that area. Also he is a eastern guy that is starting to pursue western hunting which reflects quite a few hunters so I think he has something to offer in that area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robie

WKR
I do not think it has much to do with eastern hunting. Mark Kenyon is very versed in digital marketing and technology of such sorts. I believe he is part of the effort to improve efforts in that area. Also he is a eastern guy that is starting to pursue western hunting which reflects quite a few hunters so I think he has something to offer in that area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That side of Mark makes much more sense. He did a great job of building a brand from nothing.

Carl

FNG
My DVR has been blowing up with new meateater shows this past couple of weeks. A bear hunt, new Zealand two part episode, alaska caribou

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

OP
Desk Jockey
Just confirming that rumor I started a while back that Steve Rinella was killed and eaten by a grizzly a few months ago. Yep, sad to see him go... but Ole Cal himself is the new meateater and new episodes are on the way.

Fun fact: Ryan Callaghan's mustache has Captain Caveman like powers in that he can store and retrieve multitudes of useful items from within its lush ginger interior.

Stay tuned for more totally true updates about the meateater.

muddydogs

WKR
My DVR has been blowing up with new meateater shows this past couple of weeks. A bear hunt, new Zealand two part episode, alaska caribou

I was trying to figure out if these were new or I just never watched them or forgot about them. My DVR is doing weird stuff like recording one part of the two part episodes so I wasn't sure if the programming is new.

I just looked online and the New Zealand hunt was put on YouTube in 2012, and the caribou hunt looks like it was a 2013 deal. Sportsman's channel web site says new shows are coming Sept 19th?

Last edited:

Mine has been recording 2 episodes every day, but they are old episodes.. so far everything has been from season 1 and 2. I haven't seen any of them yet, so I'm not complaining, just pointing out that the ones you are recording likely aren't new.

Carl

FNG
I was a little suspicious myself, I just don't remember any of them.

JWP58

WKR
I enjoy Rinella's show, books, and podcast. However I could do without the biologist he has on frequently. I'm sure the guy is nice, and knows his stuff, but the "holier than thou-everything is a spiritual journey" preachings get really old.

tlowell02

Lil-Rokslider
I enjoy Rinella's show, books, and podcast. However I could do without the biologist he has on frequently. I'm sure the guy is nice, and knows his stuff, but the "holier than thou-everything is a spiritual journey" preachings get really old.
Karl Malcolm or someone else?

KINGSNAKE

WKR
Great now I have to figure out how to get Netflix. Technology is a pain. In all seriousness Meat eater is one of a handful of hunting shows worth watching. I also like Randy Newbergs stuff and Shockeys uncharted.

7mmremmag

Lil-Rokslider

I think he has been around for longer than we think doing some things and it doesn't feel like it is going that way to me. What I do think Mark will bring to Meateater is even greater social media strength and platform exploration. Time will tell though, I have been a long time listener of Wired to Hunt and Meateater.