Where to begin training?

wtx

FNG
Hello everyone. I'm 6 months out from my first backpack hunt. Training and diet are non existent at this time so curious where you guys would start on the health journey. I'm 6' 200# so don't want to lose a ton of weight but defiantly have some to lose. Already cut way back on the beer and don't eat a lot of sweets, but carbs are my weakness (tortillas, bread, pasta). The carnivore diet seems interesting, reading and listening about it now. Also looking at the MTNTOUGH program. I figure it would be better to start with either diet or exercise first so as not to die. Which would you guys start out with if taking the plunge for the first time?

If you do the MTNTOUGH program and stick with it, you’ll be just fine. It sucks, in a good way. This is my third year doing the preseason plan and it still kicks my ass everyday. That, and a decent eating plan will get you good to go.
But, anything is better than nothing. There’s plenty of different “hunting” workout programs online though. Good luck!

Smithb9841

Lil-Rokslider
If your 6’ and only 200 I would be much more focused on the training portion than the diet. Agree with advice above from @Cant hit em, put on your pack and start hiking. This will get your body used to the load and add weight as you get used to it, the muscles you use for this are hard to prep for even if you’re going to the gym. The best way is to simulate what your going to be doing. After you get this going and your body starts to shed some fat decide if you actually need to diet down, 200lbs isn’t a lot of weight if your 6’. If you start cutting weight and dieting generally you will lose some strength once you get to a certain point.

If you are really starting from zero, I would suggest starting by walking a mile or two per day; no backpack needed to start, no intense resistance training program, no interval cardio (or if you do, think of it as doing extra at first). Just get in the habit of getting some exercise in every day. Do that for two weeks to build consistency and good habits, and I think that from zero, you'll start to see some changes in energy on those walks. After you build that consistency, then you can start to add a more well-rounded foundation. But doing something consistently starting right now (today) is the most important starting point. Better to walk a mile a day consistently starting right now than burn out or overstress yourself with interval training from the get-go, or to wait a week or two to start because you're trying to figure out the best plan.

For diet, it sounds like you've already done the most important thing, cutting way back on beer. Some carb reduction on top of that is fine, if you think of it more like mixing up the carbs-- make sure you get some quick- and slow-digesting carbs in there, favor whole fruit over sugar, no overprocessed crap, etc. Again, consistency is important; better to cut way back on the beer and make no other diet changes than to not do anything, and being in that habit is most important.

I wouldn't be too concerned about losing too much (or too little) weight. Eat good food to keep up with recovery and don't go overboard (and don't starve yourself, either). Most people who are out of shape, especially bigger guys, think they have way more muscle mass than they really do. A lot of out-of-shape 200 pound guys think they'd look ripped and muscular if they lost 15 pounds, and think they'd look scrawny and lose a bunch of muscle if they lost 20 pounds. In truth, the average 6' 200lb guy who looks like he's in "okay" shape on the outside is about 30% body fat (and guys who look chubby maybe closer to 35-40%)-- so only 140lb of lean mass. Those guys would be much more physically capable at 6' and 180 at 20% fat, or 170 and 15% fat, etc (example numbers; sure some guys at 6' have a larger frame, but most inactive people at 6' and 200lb are at least a little overweight). But again, don't worry much about the numbers and instead focus on fitness (i.e. your ability to perform and your level of health).

Last edited:
As a follow-up, since you've suddenly cut back on a lot of beer and are starting workouts after not doing anything at all, you should get a physical exam if you haven't had one recently (within the last year).

I agree with the above post, i am 6' 180 lbs, consider myself to be in great shape and i feel like its my optimum weight for hunting. 200 would be quite heavy for me if i didnt work out at all which you say you dont. But if you're pretty muscular i wouldn't worry about the actual weight as much as i would your workout performance and how you feel. Ive done a few mtntough programs and you would be fine if you follow their diet guidelines and one of their harder programs like the heavy pack IF you push yourself hard. I wouldn't do the body weight one, its too short and wasnt as hard for me and you have time to do one of the longer ones or multiple. Just train as hard as you can and eat right, and good luck!

OP
W

wtx

FNG
Thanks all for your responses. Great advice to get me going. Hardest part is just getting started. Going to start with some rucks around the neighborhood then work into more structured exercises before I jump into the MTNTOUGH or something similar. I see myself burning out/injuring something by going hard from the start. I’m only a few hours from some decent elevation change in similar terrain so i can get some real life hikes in and test out equipment/footwear I think I’ll hold off a while on a true diet program until I see how my body responds to getting active again, just going to cut back on the “good stuff”. Thanks again guys, knew I could count on the slide to help out.

*zap*

WKR
In my opinion the best base for any fitness program is very frequent, long duration low intensity aerobic capacity training. 200# is no overweight @ 6' if your loaded with lean muscle mass but if your not 180 or so would be a lot better.

Thanks all for your responses. Great advice to get me going. Hardest part is just getting started. Going to start with some rucks around the neighborhood then work into more structured exercises before I jump into the MTNTOUGH or something similar. I see myself burning out/injuring something by going hard from the start. I’m only a few hours from some decent elevation change in similar terrain so i can get some real life hikes in and test out equipment/footwear I think I’ll hold off a while on a true diet program until I see how my body responds to getting active again, just going to cut back on the “good stuff”. Thanks again guys, knew I could count on the slide to help out.
You could still do mtntough if you wanted to, they have 3 different levels of difficulty for each workout and you could just redo the program at the intermediate level after you do the beginner for example. Just an option

zacattack

WKR
If you’ve never done any working out or training you should go get checked out with tour doctor first. I would recommend starting slow with primarily aerobic exercises (walking, running, rucking etc) this will build up your cardiovascular fitness. You don’t really need one of these fancy diets, just cut out most of the crap (moderation is key here) and eat a balanced diet. Watch where your calories are coming from; protein, carbs or fats. Once you’ve got that cardio base good and are feeling good about your nutrition add in some weight training. The key again is a slow buildup. Too many of us (myself included) go balls to the wall too fast and get hurt. Then you’ve set yourself back weeks or months.

MTN tough is a good program, you need very little equipment and can do it from home. It’s an ass kicker though. I did it last summer and about a week and a half in thought I was going to die.

Hello everyone. I'm 6 months out from my first backpack hunt. Training and diet are non existent at this time so curious where you guys would start on the health journey. I'm 6' 200# so don't want to lose a ton of weight but defiantly have some to lose. Already cut way back on the beer and don't eat a lot of sweets, but carbs are my weakness (tortillas, bread, pasta). The carnivore diet seems interesting, reading and listening about it now. Also looking at the MTNTOUGH program. I figure it would be better to start with either diet or exercise first so as not to die. Which would you guys start out with if taking the plunge for the first time?

You have already given yourself a great start by making the effort to change. Anyone that is truly taking their diet and physical fitness into consideration is making a good choice. That said, part of my daily training starts with waking up on time and making my bed. I know it seems trivial, but the idea it reinforces is to do things that sometimes suck, but are necessary to get to your end goal. To jump into a training program is a good and bad start. I think the problem is people look to get instant results that last, when they really need a lifestyle change.

That said, it sounds like you're giving it good thought. Just don't miss the forest for all the trees! Sometimes running with a weighted pack is all you need to kick your ass - and you don't need to pay someone to send you a video, telling you to do that. I'm not saying that is what you should do right away, but hopefully you get the point.

I have tried the carnivore diet before (~3 months) with good results, but, like Zacattack said, you should consult with your doctor before jumping into something so drastic.

KHNC

WKR
THis is my 3rd round with Mtn Tough as well. Did the week 4 meat grinder yesterday. The name is appropriate.

Gilkj4

FNG
Is this the right place to discuss the ethics of the Ice-T movie Surviving the Game?

tracker7

FNG
its amazing the difference getting a few pounds makes

i lost some weight over the past year and noticed a major difference on our hiking trip out west this summer.

I just hike the hills around my home, throw on a backpack with bottled water inside to adjust weight and spend time walking stairs to build up the legs for mountain climbing. Trying to loosen up the joints without causing any injury that could kill my hunt. 3-5 miles a day will getcha there and you'll see your times getting better quickly.

aOWENc

FNG
I just started hiking on my 25 acre property that has a trail through the woods, one lap through the trail and around the back and front hay field equals 1.2 miles. There is a pretty large hill in the middle as well. I have been doing this for a 14 days with a 35 pound pack and usually do around 3-6 miles per trip and have lost 8 pounds.

I also have been watching what I eat way more. It gets boring hiking on the same ground and just making laps, but it’s made a huge difference in a really short amount of time.

You guys might find this ridiculous but I like to train hung over or close to it. Idk if you can mirror your trip physically than being hung over. Your tired, lack of sleep, dehydrated, headache just plain feel like crap. I think you get the point, but I’ll eat a decent breakfast, drink a liquid IV and jog 3-5 miles in the high heat and humidity. This ain’t for everyone but I feel like what I’ve accomplished in a short amount of time physically is crazy. I feel like I can just go and go. Obviously once I’m done I’ll drink plenty of water. I also started early on with frame pack and weighted hikes 4-8 miles, working my way up to 55 lbs now. I tried squats, lunges… the typical leg workout but my knees were killing me. Anyways there is always more ways than one to skin a cat. Best wishes

Clintopher

Lil-Rokslider
As stated earlier, don’t overthink it. Just start moving. Lift a little weight and walk/ruck. You don’t need a lot to drive physical adaption in the beginning. If you lift weight, pick a push, pull, hinge, and squat movement. Do 3-4 work sets for each movement 2-3 times per week. Walk/ruck 2-3 times per week. Strive to add weight. Strength/endurance gains come quickly in the beginning. HOWEVER, don’t get hung up on the numbers. Above all else, listen to your body. Don’t continuously push through pain. If you ignore what your body is trying to tell you over weeks or months you’ll set yourself up for a setback.

For diet, don’t eat anything that comes in a box or a bag for 80% of your caloric intake. Eat lots of protein and vegetables.