Where to begin?

First, I’m older. My mind has not shifted from what things used to cost. Second, flat lander. 800 feet elevation in the southeastern part of Kansas, with mild winters, and humid summers. Third, sticker shock. Are these clothes really worth the premium price tag? Are they really necessary for western big game hunting? And how much is too much clothing?
What I really need is a no-nonsense, down and dirty tutorial on what clothing is essential, what clothing is recommended, and then what clothing gives the most comfort while hunting in the western states.

Thanks in advance for your patience. I’m sure I’m not the first to ask and I am too inexperienced on the platform to find what I’m looking for in past content.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H80Hunter

WKR
Bare bones version: Base layers get moisture off your skin. Merino won’t stink, synthetic will dry faster. Second layer, fleece, can get cheap military grid fleece To save here. Puffy layer. Outer shell (wind proof is important to some).

In my opinion, a lot of the expensive stuff is worth it in extreme conditions, or backpacking scenarios. The higher end stuff is warmer, and lighter for their warmth. That’s real and not just marketing. But, if you aren’t backpacking in where weight is critical, OR you’re hunting in mild temps, the benefit is much smaller.

Werty

WKR
Long story short, this fall I hiked in 2 miles under an hour, before day light, sweating profusely, opened my clothes still hunted a little bit. I was bone dry in under 30 minutes. It was 20 degrees out. I say they are, if your moving and hunting, if your a stand hunter, no. The other thing out west, is the wind will eat you alive, most clothes are wind and water resistant. Hope this helps

MillCreekMike

Lil-Rokslider
I'm 58, I grew up hunting in cotton Long Johns, Flannel, Wool & maybe some military surplus stuff if I was lucky. For the most part it worked for stand hunting Whitetails in Ohio. Hunting out west is more active & I would sweat while hiking and then freeze in the wet clammy cotton. Moisture control & warmth to weight ratio is probably the biggest advantages of tech clothing. Also the re-sale market is good for this stuff, if you get something you don't like you can usually sell it for a minimum $ loss.

I'm 60 now live in east TN, grew up in Ohio. Usually hunted in work clothes and then upgraded to Cabelas stuff. Never had anything really expensive. Everything was very heavy and cumberson.

Hunted in CO 2 years ago and froze my a#@ off. Decided to research clothes. Tried a bunch of Sitka stuff at Bass Pro but nothing fit. I'm 6'3" 280 lb, 37" sleeve, 52" chest. Hard to find stuff!!!! Decided to bite the bullet and spend some $.

This year hunted 3rd season, NW CO between Craig and Meeker. Had a new set of clothes this year. Kryptek Altitude Bora outer, Ghar puffy, Arma hoody, Midway lightweight merino long sleeve, Midway shortsleeve synthetic, Kennetrac over the calf midweight wool socks, Irish Setter elk hunter boots and Kennetrac gaiters, Kryptek gloves. Pants were an older set of Bass Pro, Krypto, not made any more. Wish they were they are awesome!!!!!

Weather was 15 to 25 F, snow and very windy. This setup was awesome, when climbing I took off the Ghar and put it back on when glassing and sitting. The Bora stopped the wind!!! At times it almost blew me over. It held up with no issues pushing thru the oak brush or with the snow. Never cold. Boots and socks stayed dry, gaiters worked perfectly.

Don't remember model of the gloves, worked okay but snow stuck to them like velcro. When it did fingers got cold, needed hand warmers. Should have had some glove liners. I'm going to look for a different set of gloves.

Very impressed with the Kryptek Altitude. Worth the $$$$.

OP
C
I'm 58, I grew up hunting in cotton Long Johns, Flannel, Wool & maybe some military surplus stuff if I was lucky. For the most part it worked for stand hunting Whitetails in Ohio. Hunting out west is more active & I would sweat while hiking and then freeze in the wet clammy cotton. Moisture control & warmth to weight ratio is probably the biggest advantages of tech clothing. Also the re-sale market is good for this stuff, if you get something you don't like you can usually sell it for a minimum $ loss.

Great point on the resale.

OP
C
I'm 60 now live in east TN, grew up in Ohio. Usually hunted in work clothes and then upgraded to Cabelas stuff. Never had anything really expensive. Everything was very heavy and cumberson.

Hunted in CO 2 years ago and froze my a#@ off. Decided to research clothes. Tried a bunch of Sitka stuff at Bass Pro but nothing fit. I'm 6'3" 280 lb, 37" sleeve, 52" chest. Hard to find stuff!!!! Decided to bite the bullet and spend some $.

This year hunted 3rd season, NW CO between Craig and Meeker. Had a new set of clothes this year. Kryptek Altitude Bora outer, Ghar puffy, Arma hoody, Midway lightweight merino long sleeve, Midway shortsleeve synthetic, Kennetrac over the calf midweight wool socks, Irish Setter elk hunter boots and Kennetrac gaiters, Kryptek gloves. Pants were an older set of Bass Pro, Krypto, not made any more. Wish they were they are awesome!!!!!

Weather was 15 to 25 F, snow and very windy. This setup was awesome, when climbing I took off the Ghar and put it back on when glassing and sitting. The Bora stopped the wind!!! At times it almost blew me over. It held up with no issues pushing thru the oak brush or with the snow. Never cold. Boots and socks stayed dry, gaiters worked perfectly.

Don't remember model of the gloves, worked okay but snow stuck to them like velcro. When it did fingers got cold, needed hand warmers. Should have had some glove liners. I'm going to look for a different set of gloves.

Very impressed with the Kryptek Altitude. Worth the $$$$.

Thank you for the product review, based on experience. Kryptek has not been on my radar. It will be now.