Where to begin???

I've been bow hunting for the last nine years, anything I ever killed with a rifle was within 100 yards. Now I wish to extend my effective range however, the range in LA where I go limits target placement to 200 yards despite being a 700 yard range. They say it takes too long to walk to the targets which frankly sounds like BS. Buy a golfcart and shuttle people or something. Beside this it's a long drive for me from San Clemente to LA.

So where can I go and shoot and get some instruction to extend my range? I took the two day Appleseed course years ago and enjoyed it (left me sore and eating Advil though) and probably forgot some of the techniques.

I have all the necessary gear but want a spotter and someone to tell me what I'm doing wrong so I can improve. Would like to feel confident to 600 yards and try for a grand. Where do I start?
Thanks,
Bruce

PS: I am currently on a 6 week vacation so I wanna start right away. Joined Frontsight only to learn they close up shop due to summer heat. Arrggg.

• Banned
OP
Where's Bruce?
Well this is disappointing...nearly 100 views and not a single reply. (((sigh)))

Steel Rain

Lil-Rokslider
If you don't have range access then I would recommend going to a LR shooting class. I've seen ads for weekend courses. I believe there are classes where you bring your own weapon and ammo and then they help you with rifle set up and dope. Good luck and have fun!

Well this is disappointing...nearly 100 views and not a single reply. (((sigh)))

lol. that's because you are asking about practice and effort. Don't you know that you just have to buy nice gear and go hunting? Keep pulling the trigger. Eventually you'll get one in the vitals... :)

I dunno man, probably the same advice you'd give a guy that wants to arrow a deer at 80 yards. Practice makes perfect, and just cuz you do it in the yard doesn't mean it's the same with a buck in the cross hairs.

600 isn't all that far on square ranges. Most people can hit a 12" piece of steel with regularity with a .5bc bullet traveling upwards of 2750 fps. My wife does and she fires a gun less then 10 times a year.

A 200 yard range while not sexy can teach you everything you need. For hunting You need trigger time with some variability. Plenty of places to shoot east of u in the desert. Building a stable platform is ez at a range. It's a lot different in the bush.

Use a kestrel daily. Look at grass blowing make a mph guess then verify with the kestrel. Taking a hike up the canyon when the offshore are blowing with a kestrel will reach you a lot about wind. Plenty of San elijo missions for me when I'm on surf trips with no trigger time.

A close focus scop helps for dry fire practice. A brad nails head at 7 yards is the size of a deers vitals at 600.

Press the trigger. Make sure the recoil pushes straight into you in the same repeatable fashion. That's probably the biggest thing in my mind. stable platform, known dope, press trigger and manage the recoil.

Make empty brass man.

Shooting is the ultimate game of telephone. Make sure your information is first source. That means my bullshit should be questioned too.

• Banned
OP
Where's Bruce?
I am looking to develop the skills of snipers and practice alone won't do that. If it were that easy we'd all be able to hit steel at 1000 yards. Two days of Appleseed greatly improved my accuracy but it was compelling, comprehensive and regimented training. That's what I need. While I do practice with and without a stable rest and go prone, standing using shooting sticks and other positions typically used in the field, my confidence level at longer distances prevents me from pulling the trigger. Going from bow hunting to long range shooting is a quantum leap. I would not take a shot i wasn't certain I could make. Just want to expand my effective range thru proper training in addition to trigger time.

Check out the Extreme Outer Limits shooting school with Bob Beck. You will definitely leave there a much improved shooter and a whole new world will be opened up to you.

dotman

WKR
If you want to be a sniper practice technique in your basement (dry fire only), then apply a consistent technique in the field and know your rifle/optics. Just my uneducated opinion. From what I understand practice does make perfect but practice with poor form isn't getting you much.

If I was you I would pm Broz and see if he would do a one on one class for you, think you would prefer that over most other group classes.

As an aside you can always run a digiscope iPhone type setup off a bino and hit play. It's a setup timer and spotter all in one. Just a thought.

Although to be fair if you aren't spotting your own hits you might want to get a lighter recoiling setup and learn proper recoil management.

a girlfriend of mine used a 6.5x284 and on her 7-10th shots ever behind a gun, shot sub 6" group at 1000