Where to buy land out west

DanTesta

FNG
My business partner and I are looking to buy some land (30 or so acres) in a western state with the plan to build a small cabin as a place to get out and hunt every year. The main thought is a state and area that we know we would be able to fish in the summer and buy OTC tags each fall for deer/elk/bear. I know this i a pretty wide net but have been thinking Colorado, Wyoming and Montana and wanted to see if this is something that someone else has already done or looked into for any advise.

Lot's of what you're looking for in south central Colorado. Land isn't stupid expensive. Got a buddy out there who's been trying to get me to relocate to the area. He loves it.

Jaker_cc

WKR
I’d be in Wyoming so fast, man that’s a hell of a state to be a resident in. But if you aren’t planning on being a resident in Wyoming then owning land wouldn’t give you any advantage at all. I’d go Colorado if only looking to have a place to get away.

For consistent NR OTC deer/elk/bear with reasonable summer fishing, now that's a tough find if you want decent opportunities.

rob86jeep

WKR
Colorado has OTC elk but no deer (not sure about bear). I think Idaho has some OTC options but not real familiar with it. I would buy a place with great fishing and somewhat close OTC for at least deer or elk. Southern CO is a good place because it has OTC elk, good fishing, and close to northern NM which is a straight lottery for hunting (meaning you have the opportunity of drawing amazing tags every single year) and great fishing.

Phaseolus

WKR
My take is you buy land and a cabin for enjoyment not hunting. The reason is you won’t be able to buy enough land to own a hunting property. Things are different in the west. I’m not saying owning property is a bad thing but you won’t be putting in food plots to have great hunting on your 30 acres. Obviously I am generalizing, if you can find and afford land adjoining public land you could be in a better situation.