Where to buy new savage barrel?

So I have 3 kids and purchased a Savage Axis 2 in .243 and an Axis 1 in 6.5 Creed for them. Recently my wife's uncle past and I got from his grandkids a Savage Model 11 in 243. Decided I don't really need another .243 so I would like to buy a new SS barrel for the model 11. Since it was her uncle's I would rather keep then sell to buy a different caliber. Never swapped a barrel but seems easy enough. To minimize my effort I want it in 7-08, SS, and a 20" light contour barrel. Figure with a 7-08 the kids can still use it with light weight bullets but gives them something if we head out west for elk.

I could always swap the barrel off the .243 Axis 2 if it made more sense vs the 11 but my son took his first deer with the Axis 2 so may prefer just to keep it as is.

Looks like Midway is out of the barrel packages they carry. Where else should I look? I see Northland Shooter Supply has some pre fit barrels is that my best bet? Not going to be a long range rig so should I just keep an eye on Ebay for a take off barrel?

Thanks!

sndmn11

WKR

Appropriate barrel nut wrench and the go/no-go gauges and I think you are in business and self sufficient.

Last edited:
OP
H
Thanks, so do I need a pre fit barrel? I thought pre fit were for guys wanting to swap barrels regularly. I am hoping this is once and done, well at least until it is shot out which may not occur in my lifetime.

sndmn11

WKR
Thanks, so do I need a pre fit barrel? I thought pre fit were for guys wanting to swap barrels regularly. I am hoping this is once and done, well at least until it is shot out which may not occur in my lifetime.
I believe pre-fit designates that it is ready to install, versus buying an unturned or contoured blank. Unturned is just a cylinder with a rifled hole in the middle at the caliber you wish. Contoured is one that has been turned down to the desired profile (contour) and shank size, but has not been threaded to the action. You would need a gun smith for both and there would be a lot more labor involved because they are turning and threading or just threaded respectively.

You could still get a pre-fit and have a gunsmith install, that would save you the cost of tools and gauges, and the gunsmith would only be unscrewing the old, screwing on the new at the proper headspace. Preferred charges $90 to remove the old and install the new on their pre-fits, plus shipping.

Wapiti1

WKR
ER Shaw or EA Brown for lower priced prefit options that are decent barrels. Brown carries Shaw barrels, or you can order direct from Shaw. It's cheaper to order through Brown. MIdway USA and Brownells also carry prefits for Savage from a couple of makers. Ebay is also a good option.

McGowen is a good option if you want to custom order something non-standard. Most barrel makers offer prefits for Savage.

You don't need a prefit if you are taking it to a gunsmith to thread and chamber. However, the beauty of the Savage design is the barrel nut and it's simple ability for you to swap the barrel at home. A pre-fit makes the whole thing simple and cheaper than having a gunsmith machine a blank for you. A prefit is for anyone that wants to change barrels.

To swap yourself, you need a nut wrench, vise for the barrel or action, headspace gauge set. Lots of videos on the process.

Jeremy

JFK

WKR
If you don’t plan on swapping barrels a lot I’d just have a smith do it. Buying the action vice and go/no go gauges pretty much is the same cost as just having a professional do it. It makes a lot of sense for the match shooters who shoot out barrels a couple times a year but for a one time deal I wouldn’t invest in the tools.

kevin11mee

Lil-Rokslider
I would have a gunsmith install the barrel unless you already have all the tools needed. You do not need a prefit if a gunsmith is installing, you just need a .284 barrel with a contour that will fit in your stock. McGowan will also rebarrel if you ship to them.

#publiclands

Lil-Rokslider
You can also buy Shaw and McGowen barrels from the Gun Shack. Contours will be limited to 1 or 2 though. Prices are good.

OP
H
So far looks like I am leaning towards a Shilen or Criterion from Northland Shooters Supply. Prices are $299 or $325 depending on brand for a SS 20" barrel both pre fit barrels. I will check out some of the other recommendations like Bison, but would like to keep this under $400 total with either tools or install charge.

Last edited:

Anschutz

Lil-Rokslider
I rebarreled my Savage 243 with a McGowen 8TW .243 barrel. It's very accurate. I would not hesitate to go with them again. It has no problem holding the x ring on a 600 yard fclass target if I read the wind properly.
5077b96c5ac5b0302cb223b5fa8ac379.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk