Where to get quality boots?

NDHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe this has been discussed before and I missed it, but are there any stores out west that has a bunch of different quality boots? Like Lowa, Kenetrek, Schnees or others? I'd like to buy a high quality pair of boots but it would be nice to try some on before I buy them.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Kenetreks are sold at Sportsman's Warehouse, and I have tried on some Lowas at a backpacking store in Pinedale Wy. I went on blind faith for my Meindl's and miraculously got it right the first try. Its hard to find them all in one place though.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
You could make the trip to Bozeman, MT and visit the Schnee's store right on Main St. They employ some really knowledgeable people and carry those brands of boots. Over the years I have purchased several pairs of boots there.

However, I have been in contact with Lathrop and Sons over the last few weeks, and found their service to be exceptional (Thanks Steve!). I have sent in my tracings and photos, and I will definitely be investing in a pair of L&S custom fit Hanwags, maybe more than one pair. I have always felt money spent on feet for hunting was money well spent.

Another good choice would be to Story Creek Inc, and see what they can work out for you on Kenetreks, as they are both Friends of Rokslide, and keeping this awesome website going is always a good choice!

http://www.storycreekinc.com/t-contact.aspx

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
However, I have been in contact with Lathrop and Sons over the last few weeks, and found their service to be exceptional (Thanks Steve!). I have sent in my tracings and photos, and I will definitely be investing in a pair of L&S custom fit Hanwags, maybe more than one pair. I have always felt money spent on feet for hunting was money well spent.

A big +1 for the fine folks at Lathrop and Sons! I was interested in trying out a pair of the Alaskan Lady's, but concerned about sizing (my feet are tiny and often the smallest size made is still too big), and despite the long distance and time difference from our home in AK, the folks at L&S gave us good instructions for measuring my feet and old boots to give us advice on what to order. My new Hanwags fit great, and I really appreciated the time they spent to get me set up right. It's rare to recieve customer service long distance that exceeds what you can reasonably expect to get in person.

OP
NDHunter

NDHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys for the info. Bozeman I'd say is the most probable place that I might get to. If I don't get any this summer, now I'll have another excuse to go skiing at Big Sky this winter!

R Miller

Lil-Rokslider
Since I cant buy the Lowa Tibets in wide locally I usually just wait for the Shoebuy.com 20% off deal which comes up a couple times a year. If you know what you want and they have it then it's a no brainer. The Tibets in wide feel like they were made for my feet, it's backpacking bliss. In fact I have a new pair on the way, my 6th.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Still waiting for mnt. lites to get back in stock, last I heard they were held up in customs....