Where to get small sheet of Tyvek?

We (Seek Outside) sell one as well. I prefer it to actual tyvek. Textured, so not as slippery, and quieter.

pro tip = step up to the matty mcmat face from these guys. A decent size piece of tyvek is gonna be 8-9oz. The mcmat face is 9oz and has lots more use. Ground sheet, glassing and sitting pad. I have one cut to 25 inches wide that weighs 6 oz and goes on almost every trip.

RJC

Lil-Rokslider
pro tip = step up to the matty mcmat face from these guys. A decent size piece of tyvek is gonna be 8-9oz. The mcmat face is 9oz and has lots more use. Ground sheet, glassing and sitting pad. I have one cut to 25 inches wide that weighs 6 oz and goes on almost every trip.

This is the answer in my opinion. The Matty may be the dumbest named product in the outdoor industry but it's worth it's very limited weight. I roll around a lot in my sleep and with tyvek my sleeping pad would just slip and slide around, the matty is foam and the sleeping pad stays put.

Roll that up every morning and use it for a luxury glassing pad. Last weekend in Utah it was cold and windy up high and i just rolled the matty out over the rocks, got in my sleeping bag and glassed from that.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Does something like this ship out in a couple days or a longer lead time?

Call the shop. If they're in stock (should be) they ship quick.

The Matty may be the dumbest named product in the outdoor industry

We let the members of our facebook group name it. Matty McMat Face is why you don't give the patients the keys to the asylum. LOL. I have to admit, the name is growing on me. We need a touch of the ridiculous every now and then.

RJC

Lil-Rokslider
Call the shop. If they're in stock (should be) they ship quick.

We let the members of our facebook group name it. Matty McMat Face is why you don't give the patients the keys to the asylum. LOL. I have to admit, the name is growing on me. We need a touch of the ridiculous every now and then.

LOL- makes so much sense now

You might checkout polycro, it is a clear plastic sheet, commonly used to insulate windows in the winter (HD/Lowes/Amazon sell the kits). A lot of the ultralight backpackers use this as a ground sheet. Light and less bulky that tyvek, but maybe not as tough?

You can just get the kit from HD/lowes and then cut the amount you need. Pretty cheap too.

Of course, folks sell them as well -

Tbuckus

WKR
I know I’m late in the ballgame since the OP found some, but I would not spend my money on housewrap (Tyvek). There are much better options.
Tyvek is heavier than you think. I’d have to weigh it again, but my homemade silnylon tarp of the same size is lighter, and has more uses.
As also posted, look at the Marty mat face pad by Seek. Weight is close but is way better and has more uses. Top notch product.
Again, as also posted, if you want to save weight, get the window film and cut your own. It’s light and tough.
Like others have said, if you want Tyvek, ask your buddies who are building houses or cruise a construction site. Years ago when I built my shop I gave away my excess not knowing the other uses of it.

OP
laltaffer

laltaffer

Lil-Rokslider
I know I’m late in the ballgame since the OP found some, but I would not spend my money on housewrap (Tyvek). There are much better options.
Tyvek is heavier than you think. I’d have to weigh it again, but my homemade silnylon tarp of the same size is lighter, and has more uses.
As also posted, look at the Marty mat face pad by Seek. Weight is close but is way better and has more uses. Top notch product.
Again, as also posted, if you want to save weight, get the window film and cut your own. It’s light and tough.
Like others have said, if you want Tyvek, ask your buddies who are building houses or cruise a construction site. Years ago when I built my shop I gave away my excess not knowing the other uses of it.

These are great tips. I was able to get Tyvek from a friend so zero cost is where I’m happy to live with that for a while.

If I was to spend money I’d probably go with the Matty Matt

Thanks everyone for the tips and discussion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dutchwaregear sells Tyvek and a lot of DIY gear for the hammock camping crowd. Been using them for years and they're a great company.

You might checkout polycro, it is a clear plastic sheet, commonly used to insulate windows in the winter (HD/Lowes/Amazon sell the kits). A lot of the ultralight backpackers use this as a ground sheet. Light and less bulky that tyvek, but maybe not as tough?

You can just get the kit from HD/lowes and then cut the amount you need. Pretty cheap too.

Of course, folks sell them as well -

I like this for the weight. However the thin plastic stuff is not durable and tears easy

nitrobro2

FNG
How many of you are really sleeping in larger amounts of snow with your floorless shelters? I've seen several photos of seek outside shelters with dry ground...and even some that were set up on dry ground that later got a foot of snow...but very few that had to set up in actual snow conditions.

We have a Seek Outside LBO-Tarp-LBO on order, but feel like Montana general rifle season hunt could offer snow conditions. Assume setting up in a foot of snow could mean we are going to shovel (I have a lightweight mountaineering/avalanche shovel that I might bring at last minute based on weather report) most of it in a effort to minimize rolling into mud/wet snow after a couple of days? Wondering what else you do to minimize mud, etc., created from 3-4 guys tromping in and out of shelter and nice warm stove melting snow on inside? I'm guessing you just learned to deal with it!

I will be ordering the Matty Mat!

11boo

WKR
How many of you are really sleeping in larger amounts of snow with your floorless shelters? I've seen several photos of seek outside shelters with dry ground...and even some that were set up on dry ground that later got a foot of snow...but very few that had to set up in actual snow conditions.

We have a Seek Outside LBO-Tarp-LBO on order, but feel like Montana general rifle season hunt could offer snow conditions. Assume setting up in a foot of snow could mean we are going to shovel (I have a lightweight mountaineering/avalanche shovel that I might bring at last minute based on weather report) most of it in a effort to minimize rolling into mud/wet snow after a couple of days? Wondering what else you do to minimize mud, etc., created from 3-4 guys tromping in and out of shelter and nice warm stove melting snow on inside? I'm guessing you just learned to deal with it!

I will be ordering the Matty Mat!

to be fair this was truck camp, so I had my snow shovel. I can’t imagine setting up right on the snow.3871A08B-AA9C-44DE-9411-AF690762A4DA.jpegA56F4A3B-48C2-401B-93E1-B0F12D1C8CBF.jpeg

nitrobro2

FNG
to be fair this was truck camp, so I had my snow shovel. I can’t imagine setting up right on the snow.View attachment 254852View attachment 254853
Thanks 11boo. Shovels are great tools!

I've also noticed that not all house wrap is created equal. A search on Home Depot website reveals that some are water resistant and some are waterproof. Perhaps something with the Tyvek brand would be truly water proof.