Where to go on a 3 night backpacking trip with newbies??

2peterhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I am taking a couple newbies out backpacking June 24-28th looking for a bit of fishing and a medium level hike. 10-12 miles for the three days. All of my backpacking has had to do with hunting.

Looking at the rosebud wilderness in MT or anywhere in the bighorns. Looking for specific locations if anyone would be willing to help me out?

Thanks!

boom

WKR
i have the same situation here in CA. i think i have it plumbed up.

Rob T

FNG
Copper Basin in Idaho, west of Mackay. Great variety of high mountain lakes with eager fish. Snow is slow to leave Idaho this year, so plan accordingly.

damxam

Lil-Rokslider
By "rosebud wilderness" do you mean The Absoraka-Beartooth Wilderness and accessing through east or west rosebud creek? This not really newbie terrain in the least...

Muleys32

Lil-Rokslider
Few summers ago I went with some family members to Fort Smith MT and did some float fishing. Awesome time there, that particular year we didn't nail the browns and rainbows like I had previously. We then snuck down into the Bighorns up from Story and similar areas. Had some good fishing there until I slipped and split my hand open on a rock in the river. Experience in the bighorns was limited for that reason but definitely was somewhere I would return to.

OP

2peterhunter

Lil-Rokslider
By "rosebud wilderness" do you mean The Absoraka-Beartooth Wilderness and accessing through east or west rosebud creek? This not really newbie terrain in the least...

Yes, I have backpacked here before and it was not too bad.

damxam

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, I guess if you stay at the bottom lakes with everyone and their mom or keep to the busy trails it can be considered newbie terrain. Just don't get caught in a storm at 10k feet.

OP

2peterhunter

Lil-Rokslider
We started at mystic lake and went in 12-14 miles then back out. Fishing was pretty good and had a great trip. It was cold and where we camped the last night it snowed on us. Not what I am looking for in taking some new guys out.

damxam

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, great area, great fishing and always a chance of snow! Have a good time wherever you end up.