Where to go

OP
Bowtech327
Damn, I accidentally say “Mo” instead of “no” and now I’m being judged 🤦🏼‍♂️ Lol. But no @fwafwow there is no man bun. I clearly identify as a man and I did way before these weirdos that are women started to do so.

I don’t have any tips on specific outfitters for a drop camp, but a few tips possibly to go into this with reasonable expectations if you do end up hiring someone .

Where I elk hunt each year an outfitter has drop camp about 1.5 miles further up the trail from where I like to camp every once in a while. My camp is about 5.5 miles out from the trailhead. My buddy and I hunt out there every year, and hunt it very hard. The few times we have seen him drop guys out there, they are very dissatisfied. They can’t get into elk, and see other human beings when on the trail. My buddy and I shoot bulls somewhere within 4 miles of our camp pretty much ever year. We are in our 40’s, been elk hunting over 20 years, and this is the best over the counter elk hunting we have found.

In 2018 we saw him packing some clients in the day before we had to head home for work for 4 days. We got back up there for a week long hunt later in the week. Mid day we hiked up to the drop camp just to see if the two guys had any luck. While we were back home at work my buddy and I were both stressed about those guys getting into all our favorite nooks and crannies. They were gone. In the next 2 days we killed 2 bulls, less than a mile from where he had dropped the guys. They bailed early due to no elk, like other people he has dropped there. We got a text out to him, and he came and packed our bulls out from our camp. He felt a little better knowing it was a decent area, his drop camp guys really let him have it for putting them there.

1. Be prepared to see a few hunters even though you got packed in.

2. Don’t expect to just hike around the trails near camp and kill bulls. It may happen, be happy it did, but don’t expect that.

3. We still cover 6-8 miles per day even though we are camped out a ways from the trailhead.

4. We know our area VERY well. Our best areas sucked the last 2 seasons. Way less elk I think due to drought and warmer than normal temps the first few weeks of season. The outfitter can put you somewhere that typically has elk, but every year can be different.

5. Drop camps are very expensive (at least to me). Have a clear idea of how far out the guy is packing you. I would not want to pay to get dropped 3-4 miles from a trailhead.

6. It takes years to learn an area, not days.

7. You are hunting OTC elk, just because you paid $3-5k ($1500-$2500 per person) to get dropped of in the wilderness don’t expect huge screaming bulls all over that get no pressure. Your most likely paying for the wilderness experience, and could possibly have similar quality hunting from your own truck camp.

The above may not apply to all drop camps, but would give you pretty reasonable expectations for different areas In different states I have hunted that people probably pay for drop camps from outfitters in the general vicinity.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Damn, I accidentally say “Mo” instead of “no” and now I’m being judged 🤦🏼‍♂️ Lol. But no @fwafwow there is no man bun. I clearly identify as a man and I did way before these weirdos that are women started to do so.
No judgment - I also frequently have typos. And my urologist does have a relatively new pony tail and scruff. I keep thinking about asking about the change but figure it could just be a Covid thing.