Where to put weight, broadhead vs insert

I tried this a couple times 25 years ago when playing around with new sticks the only issue I found was the weights would unscrew and loosen. They rattled and made noise. The solution when I found my right recipe was to glue the weights into the insert. This seemed to help. But essentially turned it into a 100 grain brass insert so I just stuck to what already worked. A one piece insert and a BH. That way there’s less places for failure. Just my thoughts.
I've never had a weight screw work loose, but, as with any threaded connection, there's a chance it could happen. I always put a drop of low strength Loctite on the threads when installing weight screws as a precautionary measure.

I've never had a weight screw work loose, but, as with any threaded connection, there's a chance it could happen. I always put a drop of low strength Loctite on the threads when installing weight screws as a precautionary measure.

Yeah man sounds good. I had to do the same. It’s a great idea to find different incremental weights for what works for your setup. Glue em up and get after it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sapcut

WKR
I'm about to order more arrows. Current set up is black eagle vintage 400 cut to 28.5 with the regular inserts, 50 grain screw in and 100 grain heads. 45lb bow

Is there any benefit to skipping the inserts and going with heavier heads?

Also please don't crap on my set up, I have broadheads and bareshafts out to 30 and am confident- keep it to yourself!
Perhaps…. but a couple things to factor in and perhaps more than you want. First of all, the “given” here is that the end product is a tuned arrow (not just changing components around without arrow tuning perfectly).

The more weight you put in front of the shaft, the weaker the spine will get. At the same time, the FOC will increase. For instance, a longer and heavier broadhead with light a insert vs. the opposite you have now. Benefit of FOC over 19% being, as exhaustive studies have shown, is better penetration, all other factors equal.

One thing I would highly recommend for any arrow that will mitigate weak spine issues (from heavier heads) is an external footing. The longer it is over about 2” the more it will help stiffen spine. Of course it will also add a little weight to the front as well. Not to mention the drastic increase in total arrow strength.

So basically you can have your cake, kill it and eat it too. You could probably use 150-200 gr. head (depending on whether screw-in head or using an adapter, 15-20 gr. aluminum insert. Then tweek it for tuning with a 3-4” aluminum footing. Then kill stuff.

None of the suggestions are exact and you will not know without actually building it but that’s the gist of how I build my arrows that never fail on anything.

Seems like I made one for my son’s 45# bow years ago. Very similar to above ending up about 640 grains and 34% FOC.