Where to retire?!

deadwolf

WKR
I bet this has been discussed before, but I'd love to see a thread discussion on the best places for us outdoorsmen (and women) to retire! We would stay in Alaska, but six month long winters put a little drain on the body both mentally and physically. We may stay here and then winter in Hawaii, but surely there's other great places I can hunt and fish and be happy too. I don't mind a little winter either, just not six months. Idaho sounds pretty good, as does Montana, what states and cities would top your list?

warrant

WKR
I'll be somewhere down in Texas if you're lookin' for me, Drinkin' in that great wide-open, soakin up the summer breeze.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JPHuntingAUS

Lil-Rokslider
In my Australian state we have 12 month seasons on deer with no tag limits for all species but 1, and millions of acres of public land. Couple that with a 3 month duck and quail season for $80 year and it's good deal.
Fresh and salt water fishing 12 month license is about $30.

Just sayin :D

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

TexanSam

Lil-Rokslider
I'll be somewhere down in Texas if you're lookin' for me, Drinkin' in that great wide-open, soakin up the summer breeze.

There's really no public land in this state (and it doesn't get any better in most of the southeast) so no freelance hunting unless your duck hunting the coast and reservoirs. There's good fishing on the coast, but with it being a warm climate fishery, it gets a little slow around the winter time.

I mean you could always do the deer lease thing everybody does, and there's some good duck hunting to be had. And heck I say the fishing slows down but there's always something that will at least bite as long as its not a bad weather day, and on those days you should be duck hunting in the winter.

I know I contradict myself but it's about as honest as I can make it sound

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

gwl79902

WKR
Because you will be young when you retire I would look at Idaho. Someplace with in an hour ish of one of the bigger towns so that when you age you can still get the medical attention you need. My dad is getting old and it hard for him to move because he has his doctors and does not want to find new ones. Also I would want to move to a community when I am young enough to develop some social ties which may be more important for my wife.

kicker338

WKR
I retired right where I'm at here in Nth Idaho, 30min. and I'm hunting elk, plenty of lakes to fish too and the winters are not bad. We get some snow but not a lot and the temps usually run in the 10 to 20's at night. We usually get about a wk of 0temps then it warms back up, good enough for me.

cnelk

WKR
Go down to Minnesota... that way you can have 12 months of winter! :)

Im just over a year from retirement. And fortunately, I own a nice little place here in N Colorado it takes me just a few mins to get to the mtns and most lakes. I can drive 2-3 hrs and hunt WY & Neb also. The weather is gorgeous and lots to do. Western Colorado is more affordable and weather is nice there too

But to move here now would take some serious $$$

Gotta go now, gonna go walleye fishing.... :)

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'm still looking. Seems everywhere has its drawbacks. I won't do humidity for more than a couple weeks a year, so that excludes most of the country. I won't do winter more than a couple months out of the year, so that excludes a bunch more. Then when you throw people, crowds, and traffic into the mix that excludes just about everywhere else. So the only places left for me are some ugly abandoned desert regions where nobody wants to live......with good reason.

The Front Range of Colorado is just about ideal in every regard.........except for all the transplants that have exploded the populations here. But that ones huge for me. That abandoned desert is looking better every day.

oldgoat

WKR
So I retired from the navy to Colorado in 06. My retirement isn't enough to cover costs. Now had I married as well the first time as I did the second things might be different for me, but it is what it is. Knowing what I know now, probably would of went to Wyoming or Montana.

aaro9991

FNG

Huge George Strait fan here. Or I would just be a bum on the seashores of Old Mexico

Wyoming is super tax friendly on retirees and retire income, pretty much where we have decided to go when the time comes. Will probably do the two state thing and also looking at Arizona or Mexico for the winters. Ten years and counting down.

Wyoming is super tax friendly on retirees and retire income, pretty much where we have decided to go when the time comes

I'll be heading to the blackhills of SD (Lord willing) for the same reasons.... Be a little closer to friends and family in the Midwest and still a stones throw to all the western hunting. Plus SD has some major hunting and fishing perks