Where to set up camp?

Chad44

Lil-Rokslider
I've been going to the same area for a few years now and have always set up camp in a spot where no elk will be disturbed. I'm not in love with this camping spot at all. It's cramped and has no feed for horses. There is a sweet spot up a ways but it puts us in sight of elk while they travel to and from bedding/feeding areas. Not on the trail but around 200 yards from it. Also there is a wallow not too far. I gues I'm asking if us being there will mess them all up? Are you very concerned with where you camp vs where the elk are???
Thanks

2rocky

WKR
It's tough because elk feed is horse feed and vice versa....I like to stay out of their area. You would be surprised how far noise travels. I could hear guys in outr camp talking at a conversational level, from 3/4 of a mile on a calm evening.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
When horse camping, I like to be a ways away from where the elk are, but having feed and water nearby is a must.

I have had elk come right into the horses though. I guess they don't mind them too much.

BuckSnort

WKR
This is just my opinion but with horses/mules you need to be camping where's there is feed/water for them, even if it's 3 miles away from the elk..

Obviously, feed and water for your horses is a must. If your current camp is lacking in those regards I would move it, however, being 200 yards from your game is not where I am going to set up camp. Even a bivy sack. The horses won't bother the elk but depending on how many guys you have in camp and all that you could just blow all the elk out of the area.