Where to sight in near Denver?

tstith

Lil-Rokslider
New scope, new rifle, new load... where do guys near Denver go (public land) to sight in and shoot? I would like to stretch out to 500+ yards. I would like to keep it within an hour or so of the foothills. I didn't see another thread/forum for this. Thanks in advance!

I don't know what the distance from Denver is but there is a decent range right off highway 40 by hot sulphur springs.

OP
T

tstith

Lil-Rokslider
Its a little far, but that also looks like where I drew tags for this fall :'D Thanks for the heads up

Megalodon

Lil-Rokslider
Good shooting spot is almost as precious as a good hunting spot.

just find some BLM land and check fire restrictions.

SonnyDay

WKR
Can you target shoot on just about any BLM or NF land?

Generally, yes. There are fire bans right now (which also ban target shooting) in most of the state’s national forests. There are also some NF areas where you can’t shoot due to houses in the area. BLM is usually more lenient. Maybe try out by Pawnee Grassland? Check with the rangers first...

Newton22

FNG
There is an area in Evergreen, but it's not ideal. It has a gradual upward slope and goes just beyond 100 yards. It is decent, close and best of all, free. There is one in the Pawnee grasslands for free, and a range near there. I believe the range goes to 300 yards at least. I forget the name of the range but if you search around Pawnee grasslands it will come up.

11boo

WKR
I thought about stopping by the other day to see if they were open or Covid closed.
I took those pics mid October last year. It was self serve back then.
Somebody spent some $ on this place, and it looks like it will be very nice. Hard to believe it will be just drive in and have fun for long. Some asshats had already shot up the signage and beer cans were all over the place.

It would be worth it to me if I still lived on the front range to join, but I gave up that rat race for lent.

sndmn11

WKR
I took those pics mid October last year. It was self serve back then.
Somebody spent some $ on this place, and it looks like it will be very nice. Hard to believe it will be just drive in and have fun for long. Some asshats had already shot up the signage and beer cans were all over the place.

It would be worth it to me if I still lived on the front range to join, but I gave up that rat race for lent.

Gotcha. The CPW free ranges I have visited seem to be the opposite of that; clean and everyone is respectful of he property. I had wondered if this one might be too close to Denver like the Keystone range is.

sndmn11

WKR

100 yards

The Pawnee sportsman center has 100-200 paper target ranges and 400-1000 steel.

The free range at Baker draw isn't worth the drive to shoot 100yards over broken TV's.

Savage99

WKR
I don't know what the distance from Denver is but there is a decent range right off highway 40 by hot sulphur springs.

I think that one is only 200 yards. But, it’s nice in that you have berms between lanes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Titan_Bow

WKR
I am in Broomfield, and drive out to the Pawnee. The Bakers Draw range is nice, but since Covid, its been a madhouse there. Its always been crowded, but I went there a few weeks ago, and at 7am it was already crowded, and it was trashed compared to what it normally is. The ranger district website shows the areas where shooting is not allowed, I have a few spots out there where I can set up for 400-500 yard shooting.