Where to start with traditional bowhunting?

FLYBYU44

FNG
I just started shooting in June 2020, and I packed a rifle last hunting season as there was no way I was packing a bow. This year I am leaving the rifle at home, over the winter I have purchased a new ILF bow and another high-end custom wood bow. My shooting has improved to where I am confident using a bow out to 20 yards or so, and I know it will only get better.

My take aways are this:
-progress seems glacier slow, but try to have prospective and look back to when you started once and a while. I have improved dramatically, but it often doesn't feel like it. This isn't something you become proficient at over night.

-Buy a cheap bow to start, low poundage and focus on form and slinging arrows down range. I bought a 40lbs recurve from a garage sale for my first bow. You are going to do things to that bow that probably aren't right and could potentially damage it, so best that it isn't a $1000 custom bow. In addition, you won't know what you like until you shoot a bit a develope an opinion. I am on my fourth bow, I like a straighter grip, smooth draw cycle with a longer bow and 45lbs is my happy place for poundage. All things I knew nothing about at the start.

-Research and watch videos before you ever pull the bow string. I got home from the garage sale, strung my new bow and started trying to shoot my new target, put all 6 arrows through the side of my garden shed (slow learner). Learn about brace height, nock height, waxing the string, silencers for the string, grip and the fundamentals of good form.

Just some stuff I wish I knew when I started this journey. It is also one of the most addictive things you can do. I have a hard time putting the bow down for a day and resting.

TaterTot

Lil-Rokslider
Buy a low poundage bow.

Get a coach.

Perfect your form.

Then go up in poundage when you can until your reach a reasonable or your legal hunting weight.

I honestly think a new bow hunter would be better off with a traditional bow and a good coach vs a compound. Just less to worry about as far as tuning.
Also you are somewhat forced to learn to be a better hunter and how to be a bit more aggressive (or work harder on stalking) for the closer shot opportunity.

That being said in full disclosure I'm not too proud too rifle hunt if the bow doesn't work out. Especially in your first few years of leaning to trad bow or even bowhunt.

But I in Montana we can rifle and bowhunt on our otc tags. So that definitely has influenced opinion. Having the plan B is nice.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Feurhand

FNG
Buy a low poundage bow.

Get a coach.

Perfect your form.

Then go up in poundage when you can until your reach a reasonable or your legal hunting weight.
I know it's been a while since OP posted, but this is the best advice.
@Teejay any updates on your journey?