Where to start with trail cams?

LostArra

WKR
Pardon the interruption.
While hunting last weekend I realized I left a trail cam out for over one year. Browning with Energizer Lithiums. Still going strong. 3600+ pics. I watched a tiny fawn grow up over three months. While it was set up on a narrow pass it only had a shooter buck in that window on three days in that one year. Nov 20, Dec 14, Dec 21. Crazy amount of daytime deer and hog activity on the day after the deer season closed.

Are the cameras themselves not very durable? Or are the boxes that much tougher they can put up with a bear?
Well plastic and bears usually aren’t a good combo. I’ve had bears rip them off trees multiple times, bite holes in them, and even walk off with them. Normally the cameras survive but are broken up a bit. Boxes work much better IMO.

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
This is what she is down to after we both separately looked through the TCP website. I believe she is looking at these as getting cool pictures and video of any animals, and not with the strict goal of picking an animal to shoot. I think the videos are really neat.

Any pitfalls we might be overlooking? We realize the Stealth model has a slow recovery speed, and shorter range. If it weren't for those two things, I would have ordered a trio of those already. They will go in security boxes, with the python locks.

Browning Dark Ops Pro XD $132, I like the built in viewer, the reputation, the review site seems to like the detection circuit.

Stealth Cam DS4kMax $129, I like the picture and video the best by far. I like that the cable locks the unit itself and that there is a password.

Thoughts? I had been considering getting two of one, and one of the other, but thought that might be a mess with keeping track of cards.

sniper61

Lil-Rokslider
I been though a few. I am down to 7 right now. I am going for more cam over the best ones now. found a good cheap one on amazon for $39 the campac T20 it does everything my brownings do. the picture and video are good and they are smaller and only take 4 aa batteries. The night range is shorter [ noticeable on big food plots] but to get 3 to 1 for the money hard not to go that rout . look up video reviews on trail cams under $50.

This is what she is down to after we both separately looked through the TCP website. I believe she is looking at these as getting cool pictures and video of any animals, and not with the strict goal of picking an animal to shoot. I think the videos are really neat.

Any pitfalls we might be overlooking? We realize the Stealth model has a slow recovery speed, and shorter range. If it weren't for those two things, I would have ordered a trio of those already. They will go in security boxes, with the python locks.

Browning Dark Ops Pro XD $132, I like the built in viewer, the reputation, the review site seems to like the detection circuit.

Stealth Cam DS4kMax $129, I like the picture and video the best by far. I like that the cable locks the unit itself and that there is a password.

Thoughts? I had been considering getting two of one, and one of the other, but thought that might be a mess with keeping track of cards.

I don’t think the SD card thing is a big deal, just format them every time you pull pics on your PC or buy 6 cards, 2 of one brand for the browning and 4 of another for the stealths.

Huntfun

FNG
I bought 12 stealth cams from Costco when they were on sales for $79 each for my northern hunting property where I do not have internet or a strong cell signal. Returned them all 2 months late. Not a fan of Stealth Cam!!! I am looking for a good replacement so this thread is timely!

I have been running a Cuddelink system with G series cams at my home downstate where I have strong internet and cell signal. I like the cuddlilink concept and how it works but am very unhappy with camera quality...they have issues and need service too frequently and Cuddeback service has gotten terrible. Looking for system to replace this too now that some cams have very competitive cell service options.

Browning has my attention. I am also looking at Exodus newer versions which is not rated on trail cam pro but gets great reviews from their users. They have a 5 year warrantee and their cell option has a very competitive plan to run several units.

Good luck!

Huntfun

FNG
Interesting on Cuddiback Trail Cams...this is what is posted on Trail Cam Pro website related to Cuddiback reviews or even any mention of them. Having used Cuddiback for 3 season I understand why Cuddiback has taken this stance with TCP...their products quality is poor and so is their service.

"The manufacturer that you are looking for has asked that they no longer be included in any of our tests, reviews or analysis. In fact, due to their request, we are no longer allowed to even mention their name on our site (this includes telephone calls as well). Unfortunately, we have complied to this request. We apologize for this inconvenience."

I'd stay away from Cuddiback.

I would get the tacticam reveal cameras. I know you don’t want cell service but they take great pictures and batteries last a while. Also, if you ever decide to turn on the cell feature you already have a camera that will do it. I have used a lot of different cameras and these have been the best I have used. Also, they are $99 which is about what you will pay for a lot of cameras without the cell option. Just my two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Soupie

FNG
I would get the tacticam reveal cameras. I know you don’t want cell service but they take great pictures and batteries last a while. Also, if you ever decide to turn on the cell feature you already have a camera that will do it. I have used a lot of different cameras and these have been the best I have used. Also, they are $99 which is about what you will pay for a lot of cameras without the cell option. Just my two cents.

That thought process makes a lot of sense. Where are you seeing them for $99?

That thought process makes a lot of sense. Where are you seeing them for $99?

I bought mine from Bass Pro. They have gotten a little hard to find. The Tacticam Facebook page sometimes lists what stores have them in stock.

82ndshawn

FNG
I have had super good luck out of Moultrie and Browning cameras. I feel Moultrie's picture quality is better for the most part. I usually leave my cameras out year round (used for farm equipment security in off season). I have some Moultrie cameras that I have had since 2013 that are still going strong.

I recently bought several different cellular cameras. I have had great luck out of the two Moultrie's and the one Stealthcam I have. I also have a Spypoint Link Micro that has not worked right since I bought it.

We've had several brands (Browning, Wildgame, Cuddeback, Spypoint) and Browning has yet to fail us. We are running four Browning command ops pro's and they work great for both pics and videos. Make sure to use some lithium batteries and the battery will last a LONG time.

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 11
Did you have trouble with Spypoint cellular cameras as well?
In my area in SE MN being hill country the service is spotty as is, but they've worked OK (on top of hills)...not a great camera but for a cheap entry level cell cam they work. Trigger speed is not the greatest nor picture quality.

experiment in your yard, figure out how many pics you want to take, time out settings, vid or camera. which resolution. Just start playing with them and you will find they are an awesome tool.

also, expect people to screw with them if they are easy to get to.

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
also, expect people to screw with them if they are easy to get to.

That is honestly the biggest reason why I have never thought much on trail cams. I did order some of the case/boxes and the cable locks. In the past when I had run across a cam, I left a note or held my phone number up in front with the hope that the owner would call me so we didn't step on each other's toes during the season.

I like my SPYPOINT cell cameras, I haven’t had any issues with mine, but it can be tough to find a spot that has cell service and is a good place for a cam where we hunt. The non-cell SPYPOINT have also worked well. Honestly though it’s hard for me to look past wildgame innovations cameras. YES... they are cheap and simple without many options but they have just worked for me. You can find them for $45 on sale typically. When you lose a couple every year to wildlife that’s a nice price. Also I prefer video much more to pics