where to take my glass set up

coyote_out

Lil-Rokslider
Currently looking to add a pair of 12x's to the stable. I am trying to decide whether to sell off other glass, and/or which route to go.

Current set up: Vortex Razor HDs 10x 42, Swaro SLC 15's, Swaro STS 65, Leica 2400 rangefinder.

I hardly ever pack the 15's. Bought them for a coues deer hunt, loved them, also used them antelope hunting several times but they do not get very much field time, primarily due to weight. Plan on coues hunting again hopefully within 2 years, also more antelope, so selling wouldn't be the issue of not using them ever.

So I am debating on selling my 15 Swaros and upgrading to a pair of 12's. Should I keep them and just save more/longer? (don't "need" them until next year really). Should I consider vortex, both razors, to save a little money? Swaro El's? Also looking at Lieca Ultravid 12s.
These 12s will be my primary glass most of the time after purchase.
Still keeping the 10's for some of the whitetail and elk hunting I do, and I like packing them during turkey season.

Probably lots of threads like this, I did a search and couldn't find one though, thanks for humoring me with discussion.

Maybe ditch the 10s for 8s the field of view would be substantial and get 12s? After using my els for a couple seasons I think the only thing I’d try different were the pures which I haven’t had the opportunity to look through, but I already spent the money and the els work great for me. I’ve looked through plenty of liecas and liked them all so also not a bad choice there either. Good luck!

Blue72

WKR
12x is closer to 10x, so getting 7/8x is good advice

but only you know what your looking for. I suggest getting the 12x first and try them all out together in an area where you can see long range. You will quickly decide your setup from that experience

optics are like flavors of ice cream . No one can tell you which flavor you will like

What are you wanting to achieve by adding the 12s?

Am asking since I’m have SLC 10s and SLC 15s. I have not been in a situation where I said “OMG, I’d have better off with an 8x or 12x”. If I need a closer look, I use my spotter (either STX 65, STX 95 or Kowa 554 - whichever makes the most sense for where and what I am hunting).

With your existing 10s, 15s, and spotter, you have your bases covered for just about any hunting situation anywhere in the world.

I have 8x32 El, 10x32 EL, 12x42 NL Pure, and 15x56 SLC HD. My primary binos for years have been the 8x32 as I really like the FOV and they're super easy to hand hold. I LOVE the 15x and they are truly amazing for long range observation but they suck to pack and they won't replace my spotting scope so then ended up getting left behind on almost every hunt.

This year I picked up the 12x and told myself I'd only use them for the whole season and then make a determination on what would be my primary bino moving forward. I can say the 12x42 NL Pure are freaking kick ass. They're optically so dang nice, but they're not as user friends as the 10x42 version as I get some "black out" affect from the relatively small exit pupil. Still, I never felt undergunned and rarely even felt overgunned when using the 12x. There IS a difference though between the 12x and 15x when glassing. The 15x are still just easier to use for distant glassing due to the increased magnification; it was pretty startling actually when comparing them side by side and multiple friends agreed.

I still miss my 8x in certain scenarios so for me I think the 8x32 and 12x42 are going to be my 1-2 punch and the 10x will be my backup/loaner set while the 15x will see use when scouting or while close to the truck if hunting.

Blue72

WKR
I have 8x32 El, 10x32 EL, 12x42 NL Pure, and 15x56 SLC HD. My primary binos for years have been the 8x32 as I really like the FOV and they're super easy to hand hold. I LOVE the 15x and they are truly amazing for long range observation but they suck to pack and they won't replace my spotting scope so then ended up getting left behind on almost every hunt.

This year I picked up the 12x and told myself I'd only use them for the whole season and then make a determination on what would be my primary bino moving forward. I can say the 12x42 NL Pure are freaking kick ass. They're optically so dang nice, but they're not as user friends as the 10x42 version as I get some "black out" affect from the relatively small exit pupil. Still, I never felt undergunned and rarely even felt overgunned when using the 12x. There IS a difference though between the 12x and 15x when glassing. The 15x are still just easier to use for distant glassing due to the increased magnification; it was pretty startling actually when comparing them side by side and multiple friends agreed.

I still miss my 8x in certain scenarios so for me I think the 8x32 and 12x42 are going to be my 1-2 punch and the 10x will be my backup/loaner set while the 15x will see use when scouting or while close to the truck if hunting.
Great post!

I agree 7/8x are awesome for handholding, big views start at 15x, 12x are the great compromise for long distance viewing

I will add, since 15x requires a tripod and are so big, might as well upgrade to 18x

Last edited:
OP
coyote_out

coyote_out

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry about the delay, took off chasing whitetails for a little bit.

Thanks for the replies.
I run into the issue where I choose not to take the 15's because of weight, so they hardly get any use, like @Browninglover1 mentioned. So my thoughts with the 12's is that I would increase magnification on my chest carry bino in big glassing or open country. Still carrying the spotter of course.

Also, trying not to break the bank if I can help it. But I don't know if I can commit to selling the 15's.

OP
coyote_out

coyote_out

Lil-Rokslider
some research I was doing on this if anyone is interested.
Glasses Comparison

ModelWeightFOVEye RelPriceBridge
Sw NL p1229.5 oz.33918mm3099Single
Sw EL 1235.2 oz.30019mm2899Double
Leica ultra 1235.3 oz.29913mm2599Single
Vtx Rz UHD1236.1 oz.28817mm1599Single
VTx RHD1229 oz.28515.5mm1099Single
C. Vtx Rz 1024 oz.36216.5999Single
Leica ultra 1036.533616mm2299Single
Leica noctui 1030 oz.37619mm2799Double
Swaro EL 1029.6 oz.33620mm2199Double
Swaro NL 1030 oz.3993029Single