Where would you live?

H'n'F

Lil-Rokslider
If you could move anywhere in the lower 48 to hunt elk, mule deer, pronghorn, Moose, sheep etc., what would be your choice and why? I may be facing this option in a few years and thought it would be fun to discuss. So, what state has the most options for residents to hunt and fish?

blb078

WKR
If you lived in Northern UT you would have real nice travel logistics to hunt every Western state and still be in a state that has nice trophy areas of it's own. So from a logistics standpoint that would be my pick. Otherwise probably WY or NM

I like Idaho.

Tags every year for deer (mule and whitetail), elk, bear, mounain lion, antelope, and wolves. You can buy more than one in most cases, as well.

California and Rocky Mountain bighorns, moose and mountain goats are available by draw only. Idaho doesn't have a point system, so you won't be behind the points curve when you start applying.

Can't even describe how much fishing and bird hunting is available.

ssliger

WKR
Gods perfect square "Wyoming". You can hunt Antelope, Deer, and Elk every year. We have moose, bighorn sheep, mountain goats, bison and excellent fishing. Close proximity to Colorado, Montana, Utah and Idaho.

TEmbry

WKR
Colorado if I have to abide by the thread rules... But this is the interweb, so ill see y'all in Alaska... And it isn't even close.

Can hunt ten big game species without a guide. Sheep hunt EVERY year. Best hiking/skiing/outdoor activities in the continent to boot.

Ill be making the move in T minus 2 years and am already counting down the days.

muleman

WKR
Alaska. About 13 years ago I had a good job offer in Cordova. This was before we had any kids. There's not a year that goes by that I don't wish I'd taken the job.

OP
H'n'F

H'n'F

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for sticking to the "rules" TEmbry. ;-)
I figured AK would be on top of the list but I'm not sure I could handle all of the darkness. In addition, I think I need to stay fairly close to a population center for work. I like to share the company of a woman from time to time as well which may be a little more difficult to do in the backcountry of AK........
I've beem looking seriously at CO and ID, which seem to be leading the pack so far. My firm has an office in Denver and is thinking about starting a Boisie office so those are top options but I may jump ship and switch firms if the right place is hiring in the right location. I was looking at some absolutly beautiful areas in UT but the tag situation seems a bit thin there even for residents. After my son graduates high school there is nothing holding me here in WI and the mountains are calling my name.............Thanks for all of the opinions guys. Keep them coming.

Last edited:

muleman

WKR
Thanks for sticking to the "rules" TEmbry. ;-)
I figured AK would be on top of the list b ut I'm not sure I could handle all of the darkness. In addition, I think I need to stay fairly close to a population center for work. I like to share the company of a woman from time to time as well which may be a little more difficult to do in the backcountry of AK........
I've beem looking seriously at CO and ID, which seem to be leading the pack so far. My firm has an office in Denver and is thinking about starting a Boisie office so those are top options but I may jump ship and switch firms if the right place is hiring in the right location. I was looking at some absolutly beautiful areas in UT but the tag situation seems a bit thing there even for residents. After my son graduates high school there is nothing holding me here in WI and the mountains are calling my name.............Thanks for all of the opinions guys. Keep them coming.

I guess I've been told I don't play by the rules before. Sorry glossed over the lower 48 portion of your question.

I currently live in Northern Utah and would probably look at Idaho for the reasons mentioned earlier. You are correct that tags are a little tight in Utah. You can hunt deer and elk every year. Thats about all you can count on. As far as Utah's once in a lifetime hunts; non-residents actually have an advantage over residents. Residents can only apply / build points on one species per year. Whereas non-residents can apply for all OIL species every year.