Where would you move to out west if you could?

aggieland

WKR
Gotta know where you are located. I got a good laugh.
My house is about two blocks from the farthest western point you can drive to in North America...I spend a lot of time looking at the mountains to the west and trying to figure out how to keep moving in that direction...

jclonts

FNG
More people everyday just about everywhere.

I live in central FL and its terrible. Was a great place about the time I was born, my grandfather said that air conditioning ruined it. We have 900-1000 people a day moving here. However I've you want a job construction starts about 40-50k and construction management is 75-100k+ a year.

Poser

WKR

I live in central FL and its terrible. Was a great place about the time I was born, my grandfather said that air conditioning ruined it. We have 900-1000 people a day moving here. However I've you want a job construction starts about 40-50k and construction management is 75-100k+ a year.

I don’t see anyway in which FL doesn’t go bust in the future. You have Boomers moving there left and right but they are a HUGE generation and Gen X is comparatively a tiny generation that can’t possibly take over all of this retirement based housing development. The oldest Xers are now mid 50s and still ~10 years away from the first wave of retirement and The oldest millennials won’t be retiring for close to another 30 years. I just don’t see how the math will work. Not to mention that the boomer ideals of of retirement communities likley wont transcend generational appeal.

The cost of relocating in the northwest has went thru the roof the last couple years. Homes and bare land prices are extremely high. I would look at job salaries verses land and home prices and see what works for you. It is so out of control in north Idaho that my kids will probably never be able to buy land And build a house and I’m a contractor who can cut them a good deal. I would wait a couple years the market will burst and prices will fall some.
What about the small towns near Moscow like Princeton, Troy, Deary, Potlatch?
Or what about up near Bonners Ferry?

h2so4

WKR
Pinedale seems like a nice little place. I bet I could find a little town I've never heard of with better access in MT, though.

kda082

WKR
Extreme western KS. Mulies, whitetails, antelope, close drive to some good western hunting, minus the CO whackadoos. Plus no one wants to live there so I wouldn't have to worry about overcrowding and traffic.

Extreme western KS. Mulies, whitetails, antelope, close drive to some good western hunting, minus the CO whackadoos. Plus no one wants to live there so I wouldn't have to worry about overcrowding and traffic.
Epic sale! I live in the other side of the state! I’m packing my bags

*zap*

WKR

I have been thinking about that myself.....

kda082

WKR
Well my wife won’t buy it. One of you two move there. I’ll supply the beer, you supply the hunt. ;)

jmav58

WKR
I have lived several places in Montana but finally settled on Helena as the best place for me. Still affordable, job market is ok, great trail system, fishing, hunting, etc. Centrally located so makes it easy to explore the best the state has to offer. Great place to raise kids too. Good luck with your search.

I live in WSS and also like Helena. Nice town that doesn’t seem too big yet offers everything you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glass

FNG
I am moving to the Fort Collins area with my family, wife, and 4 kids. Its hard to decide where to move and what is right for yourself or all involved. There are lots of good paying jobs out there if a person is willing to pursue them and jump. I personally look at CO, MT, ID, OR, and WA for places that fit our needs and wants. Well Fort Collins has more people and higher home prices then I want it also provides a great opportunity for my wife and kids.

Best of luck with your decisions!

I moved to OR from FL about 5 years ago. The spark for the move was a training course my employer, the local county, sent me to. During the economics section of the course, they brought in an expert to review our region's economic forecast, which was eye opening. FL has three main revenue / job generators- agriculture, tourism and construction. Ag wasn't a factor for us, and tourism related jobs pay minimum wage to maybe $15 / hour. Construction paid the most and generated the most jobs. The bad news? The county was 96% built out.

The economist pointed out that outside of a very few counties in the US, once a county crosses the 90% built out mark, it tends to go into permanent economic decline. We asked questions about attracting new industries, trying to find a replacement. His very sobering take, paraphrased "You have a road network that makes a 10 mile trip take 90 minutes. You have no mass transit, your schools are embarrassingly bad, your natural resources are depleted without thought to the future, and your state government serves an oligarchy at the expense of its residents. Fixing any of that requires a massive investment of tax revenue, and the majority of your voters are retired with a 'screw you, got mine' approach to civic obligation. You will probably just have to accept this state of affairs"

We started planning our move that night.

tlowell02

Lil-Rokslider
Similar to here in northeast New Mexico. The only traffic is all of Texas escaping their brutal summer for vacations in the mountains. Otherwise, I get the benefit of resident draw odds and tag costs, for whatever that's worth.