Where would you move to out west if you could?

Shadow14

WKR
I know this is an old thread but Ive been contemplating moving out west my whole life for good. I always loved the west and wanted to be a cowboy (read too many Louis Lamour books lol). Problem is, I love the culture of the south and alot of things that go with it. Here in Georgia, I can hunt whitetails from September - January and shoot 2 bucks and 10 does not including your check in hunts which offer the chance at more bucks that dont count towards your state limit. All you need for access is to knock on some doors or hit some of the numerous public land pieces. I like that I can shoot out for an hour after work and have the opportunity to shoot a deer without taking a week vacation. Turkey, squirrel, bear and small game are in abundance. The duck population isnt great but we still manage to shoot some geese and woodies every year. We have fantastic bass, panfish, and catfish almost everywhere in the state. I can go trout fishing up north in the mountains or hit the coast for some saltwater goodness. A license is cheap and you never have to worry about draws or the inability to hunt. Price of living is cheap and we have a great economy. And even though the city and burbs are expanding rapidly, there is still the vestige of southern hospitality and good home values. It is the Bible belt and those values are still embedded within the culture. Also its cool to be close to so much American history. Lewis and Clark are cool, but I see more of an emphasis in education here on early American founding than in places out west. Maybe that's because of proximity to those sights and the ability to see and touch those things. Then again I may be completely off as this is all based on subjective experiances...

Problem is tho it is busy here and I miss those wide open skies and towering mountains and the cold. I love the snow and I still love the west. I lived in Central Oregon for two years and loved it, Lived in a ranching town of 9000 and had world class trout fishing within an hour, 300 days of sunshine and not far from the slopes. Was hard to get used to hunting only a month out of the year for deer/elk with my bow tho. Hunting out west is a whole different experience than hunting the back 40 down here. Luckily I got out when I did as the place really is a leftist hellhole. Government overreach increases and no matter how far away from Eugene or Portland you live, it still trickles down. There also was to be frank, a little bit of culture shock coming from the deep south to the PNW. There is just a different mindsest out there and I dont really want to raise my kids there. It is also very expensive to live and the prospect of buying a home seemed too far out of reach for a newly married 23 year old. I will be visiting it often though as the fishing is fantastic and all my wifes family still lives there.

For now, I am content to live here in Georgia and visit these marvelous places out west. I figure its easier to live here around my family and save money to go on trips and hunts out west than it is to live out west and visit Georgia. The pull and desire to move is still there...maybe one day I can own a ranch in WY or MT but as the late southern humorist Lewis Grizzard once said, "Im American by birth, and Southern by the grace of God."

Also I spent a summer commercial fishing is AK. As an outdoorsman, it was paradise, but the thought of raising a family and living in the dark for 4 months puts a damper on the whole thing.

Sorry for the novel lol.

*zap*

WKR
going from long island to N/E Kansas in the early 90's was a great decision, gave up a very good business but $ is not everything.

now looking to go more rural because the population here has more than quadrupled. The town I moved into or actually near was 693 now is over 6,300.

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider
The West as we know it will be different in 10 years. Those who think Wyoming is the last hold out, hold on to your britches. I know many people from the front range Denver and Fort Collins area moving to Laramie, Cheyenne and other relatively close places to the front range. Reason is they can work from home in Wyoming and then can zip down to Denver if work needs them for a couple days for whatever reason. Wyoming will become an extension of CO in no time.

If I had a choice and could find a good paying job I’d be moving into the Northern Territories or Alaska, but even AK is getting crowded if you don’t have a boat or a plane, the amount of hipsters living in Anchorage is mind blowing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

progpnw

FNG
I moved from the chicago area to oregon, but now that ive been here for a bit i’d like to make it to alaska. the portand area just isnt for me.

Montana would be my first choice. I have always wanted to move there. Idaho wouldn't bee too bad. I loved Oregon when I lived there, but the politics where nuts. I would consider northern Nevada, but not sure about the politics either, and how the hunting compares to Montana or Idaho.

If only I could convince the wife to move to Montana....

bobr1

WKR
This topic comes up a ton. It is really down to what sacrifices are you willing to make. Most of the "nicer" towns out west are getting very expensive. But you also typically have access to hunting, fly fishing, skiing and numerous outdoor opportunities in less than 30 minutes maybe an hour. The towns that are near the "nicer" town were cheaper are getting urban sprawl and prices are going up as housing inventory goes down and more people move there. Look at Jackson, WY then look at the prices of Driggs and Victor, ID over the last 10 years. Same with Bozeman and Belgrade MT. Covid really pushed people around a lot fleeing the major cities and coming to the smaller rocky mount towns because they can make California pay and have a house that cost 1/2 to 1/3 of one they would have had plus there is way less people. The big issue to is even if you decide you like a place and want to move there, unless you work remote it can be pretty tough finding a job in some of the towns, (especially the really small ones) that will pay you enough to afford a mortgage. Depends on the kind of work you do, right now most of these towns are having a construction boom and they can't get enough workers because they are so busy. I'd visit a few places and look at pros and cons and what you can live with.. Politics it is starting to change drastically in basically every rocky mountain state as well so that is something to consider.

I would move to the Flagstaff area in a heartbeat if it remotely resembled a lateral move from Grand Junction CO.

14idaho

FNG
The cost of relocating in the northwest has went thru the roof the last couple years. Homes and bare land prices are extremely high. I would look at job salaries verses land and home prices and see what works for you. It is so out of control in north Idaho that my kids will probably never be able to buy land And build a house and I’m a contractor who can cut them a good deal. I would wait a couple years the market will burst and prices will fall some.

14idaho

FNG
I'd agree with Idaho but I just saw that Idaho was chosen the # 1 state to live in. Here comes the masses. My son lives there and is building me a home as we speak. I owned an outfitting business there years ago and expect to return this year. Got my vote.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
There’s some good spots but I don’t want to mention them .. sorry I couldn’t resist . Really it depends on what you value in weather , recreation and people / busy and politics and also family desires . I like where I live , but I have about 10 spots I could consider . I like lonely places

peterk123

WKR
California. Anybody considering going out west should go to California. Beautiful state, incredible weather and lots of homes for sale. Oh, and great hunting. Places like Montana and Wyoming suck. Cold, windy, long winters and no homes for sale. Also over run with out of state hunters.

gabenzeke

WKR
California's biggest export is shitty politics. Wyoming will be the last stand for the american way of life.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

progpnw

FNG
I ended up on oregon from the chicago area. When I first came out six years ago it was much better than it is now, and lots of people are heading to idaho and montana from here. I’m starting to think the only true western state left is alaska.