Where would you move to out west if you could?

Just as the title states, where would you move out west if you were going to pack up and leave your current residence? I’ve been wanting to move out west for 10+ years. Every year I take trips to various states/locations out west like CO, WY, MT, NM, UT. Sometimes it’s to hunt, sometimes it’s just for shooting competitionsoff-roading, hiking, site-seeing. The absolute worst part is always coming home. I live in southern Oklahoma and I have hatred for the summer heat here that is beyond words. There is just no reason to walk outside and it be 100+ degrees for weeks at a time. I’ve wanted to escape this hellish piece of dirt for a very long time.

Im in my late 30’s, single, no children. The only family I really have left is my mom here locally and I have an aunt that lives in Denver (when she isn’t fly fishing all over the US). It’s not like I’d be up-rooting a family and leaving a lot of people behind. My mother has known I’ve wanted to move for a while.

I currently have 11yrs experience in refinery operations and 5yrs of warehouse management experience prior to that. I’d be leaving a very good paying job, but I’d hope to find something in a similar field (or maybe not) and not take a huge loss in pay.

Id just like to hear some opinions from others as to where you would move and why. Of course we’d all like to move to some place extremely remote and away from everyone, but for those of us that still have to work, it has to be an area, or close to an area, that has some industry/jobs. I’d love to live in western Montana around Kalispell or Whitefish, but there just aren’t many jobs there. Atleast not that I’ve seen. Being able to hunt is a huge part of this. Being able to hunt elk and mule deer as a resident in my home state is the objective.

For those of you that have already done this exact thing, how did it work out for you? Any regrets? Anything you’d do differently?

At this point, I’m totally open to location. I plan to spend a lot of time this spring/summer traveling to various places to backpack/camp while also scouting OTC hunting units. Im not against moving to Colorado. Im just concerned at how the political environment and Californication of that state continues to change.

Just looking for some good discussion and ideas

Mountainman3

Lil-Rokslider
I moved to MT from NC when I was 21 in 1991. Best thing I ever did! It was a struggle early on but the rewards later earned and local friendships made were magical. I stayed for 5 years and cursed the day I moved back to NC (thou I love NC too). My story/journey is way too long to post here. I’ll be back in western MT again one day is the best way for me to summarize my feeling for living in the West! As far as money goes, good help is needed everywhere, negotiate where ever you can (an extra week of PTO can be priceless) and plan on proving your worth. Here is one thing I’ll say about money. In 1993 I made $13k, paying my way thru school, ate what I killed, blessed with great friends and was the absolute happiest I’d ever been. Just being in a place like that is worth $10 grand less a year for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BFR

WKR
Start job shopping in those states, I would include Idaho too. MT, WY have great fly fishing as well as hunting, don’t know about the others on fishing but they do have great hunting. I’d say find the position and move there.

swehrman

Lil-Rokslider
IMO, if your skill set is not in great demand you need to be prepared to take a substantial pay cut. My wife was a recruiter for a local staffing agency in Kalispell in the early 2000's. She would frequently talk with people born in Montana that wanted to move back, but they couldn't bring themselves to accept that they weren't going to make the same wage they made in a big city.

I would suggest taking a hard look at how much money you absolutely need to make to be happy, and see if that salary is realistic for the locations you're looking to move to. Moving to MT, or WY isn't going to be fun if you can't afford to live and do what makes you happy.

Given the refineries in the Billings area I would think it would be easier for you to find a job in that area compared to the Kalispell area.

-- Scott

Montana or Wyoming. Being a Wyoming resident would open up the wilderness areas but a guy has to make a living and it seems like there are things going on in Billings and Bozeman MT. If a guy was somewhere in the Billings Bozeman corridor it would put you within 4-6 hours of some pretty cool country. That's my day dream anyway.

I was in the whitefish area last summer - one of the most beautiful places I've ever been to. That specific area was pretty touristy though - probably too much for me. I'm not sure I could handle the winters there but the amount of game and fishing opportunities are unbelievable in that area. Like you said, well paying jobs are probably a little tough to come by...

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
I was in the whitefish area last summer - one of the most beautiful places I've ever been to. That specific area was pretty touristy though - probably too much for me. I'm not sure I could handle the winters there but the amount of game and fishing opportunities are unbelievable in that area. Like you said, well paying jobs are probably a little tough to come by...
You are correct, Whitefish is touristy, but has a character that is tolerable. As far as fishing and even hunting, SW MT TRUMPS NW MT all day. I say this having first hand knowledge. However, my family prefers NW MT over the SW....so I'm stuck myself

OP
Trevor73402
I appreciate the responses so far. As stated above, finding a job in an area is the key factor. If I’m able to stay in the refining area, I won’t take much if any pay cut no matter where I go. I’ve looked at opportunities in Billings previously, but I’m I’ve never check in/around Bozeman. For anyone who knows, what are some decent areas to live outside of Bozeman, but not too far of a drive back into the city? I don’t think I could ever live “in town”. I’ve spent most of my life living out of city limits. If I want to walk out my back door and take a piss or shoot a possum at 2am, nobody calls the cops. I’m fortunate enough that I own some land and don’t have a neighbor right next door to me.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I’d look into the four corners area. My wife and I have traveled all over the western US and have visited a lot of the smaller to mid sized towns. This was one of our favorite areas.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I’d look into the four corners area. My wife and I have traveled all over the western US and have visited a lot of the smaller to mid sized towns. This was one of our favorite areas.

nidaho

FNG
The cost of relocating in the northwest has went thru the roof the last couple years. Homes and bare land prices are extremely high. I would look at job salaries verses land and home prices and see what works for you. It is so out of control in north Idaho that my kids will probably never be able to buy land And build a house and I’m a contractor who can cut them a good deal. I would wait a couple years the market will burst and prices will fall some.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Just as the title states, where would you move out west if you were going to pack up and leave your current residence?

That's the million dollar question. I was born and raised in CO, but looking elsewhere for the first time in my life. We might just have to split our time because I hate winter, but I also won't do humidity in the summer. So I'm thinking maybe a split between WY and maybe AZ.......don't know. I'm an opportunist, so I'll just keep on looking until something catches my eye and my heart.

jmcd22

WKR
Im just concerned at how the political environment and Californication of that state continues to change.

If you are worried about this, don't move out west. Just about every western state is battling the mass exodus from CA and other Libturd states.

You really can't go wrong with any of the mountain states to be honest. If you enjoy being outside, any of the states will do. As others have said, some have better hunting, some have better fishing but as a whole, you really can't go wrong. My advice is to find a job (which is relatively easy to do right now) and move accordingly. I'm sure you've done your research and have been pondering this for a while but there are many areas that are experiencing extreme growth and an inflation of prices. I would avoid those areas like the plague. Good luck!

Poser

WKR
I moved from TN to Durango a little over 3 years ago at 40 years old. I found a decent transitional job and then moved into a really good job after making some local connections a year later. 3 years later and it is difficult to imagine not having mountains and public land out of the front door.