Where would you move???

aggieland

WKR
I'm considering selling my business, farm, etc and moving the family out Texas sometime between now and 2020. I know that sounds like a long time but hey time fly's and it will help me save up $ and also research the areas we are interested in. Below is the area I have decided to focus on, If you were to move or if you already live in this area where would you like to live or why are you happy living where you do. I would like to live within 30-45 mins of a town with 20,000+ people, I have two small boys who love the outdoors as much as I do so the more outdoor activities in the area the better. Skiing, big game hunting, fishing, etc. I hunt Colorado almost every year and love the scenery and the area but I feel the Idaho, Montana, Wyoming area for us would be a more Conservative area. Thanks for your time and any thoughts you may have for us.

Attachments

• move area.jpg
    move area.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 172
been thinking along similar lines. idaho has a pretty nasty income tax. montana but its gettin awful populated with movie stars and such it seems. so my thoughts steer towards wyoming or alaska

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Chicken farmer:), we have been over this. N. idaho or NW Montana. Anything is better than Texas:)

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Fill, I would take taxes over liberals any day! Get out of Washington! :)

OP
aggieland

aggieland

WKR
Chicken farmer:), we have been over this. N. idaho or NW Montana. Anything is better than Texas:)
Lol, Thanks Ryan "Return your P.M's"
I can tell you Tx is headed for a huge dumpster fire in the future. Not that this is not a great state to live in but lets just say things are changing at an alarming rate. I know my parents wont move and I guess I can't blame them they have an amazing ranch etc. But for me I feel a calling or sorts to get the heck out of here while i still can.

Fill, I would take taxes over liberals any day! Get out of Washington! :)

i agree but if im moving anyway, wouldnt i want to set my sights on creme de la creme?

i lived in wyoming for awhile, came back for... you guessed it, a girl...
broke up like 6mo later...
kick myself everytime i think about it

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Wyoming is almost two states when it comes to hunting. The Eastern half is dominated by private land, and lots of "public" surrounded on 3.5 sides by private. The western half has more public than most of us know what to do with, and for the most part are general hunts. We have our share of liberals in Jackson as well, so don't put that on your list if that is what you want to get away from.

OP
aggieland

aggieland

WKR
I plan to take the wife on a 2-3 week trip all over the area. Until then i'm trying to map out the trip on what to see and yes Ryan I plan to pay you a visit.

OP
aggieland

aggieland

WKR
Wyoming is almost two states when it comes to hunting. The Eastern half is dominated by private land, and lots of "public" surrounded on 3.5 sides by private. The western half has more public than most of us know what to do with, and for the most part are general hunts. We have our share of liberals in Jackson as well, so don't put that on your list if that is what you want to get away from.

I'm not trying to dodge liberals so much as we are just a very conservative christian family. Now I will say that I would like to avoid as many of the crazy left wing folks as I can but that's pretty much impossible. Here in Tx if I enroll my children in public school they will probably be a minority now and if not over the next 10 yrs their is no doubt. Alaska would be on my list but I have basically marked it off due to the extreme weather and basic lack of clear sunny days. I think it would be to hard on my wife to make that move.

Plenty of Texas transplants in MT...sure you don't want to move to North Dakota?

Seriously though, I'd be pretty happy about anywhere in that circle you drew on the map.

I REALLY liked Lander WY when I was there. Casper wasn't all that great. The Buffalo/Sheridan WY area is one of my favorites as well... Stay away from Rawlins, Rock Springs...etc lot of rough neck oil/gas crews in those areas and I was not a big fan.

Looked at a job in Douglas WY as well a year or three back. Would've been a good move for me I believe... I would definitely not mind getting back to that state, but you gotta deal with bad winters and isolation a bit, which is just fine by me.

Mike

Eagle

WKR
Check out Red Lodge Montana, within about an hour of Billings, and theirs a ski resort right outside of town as well. The beartooths are at your backdoor and Yellowstone is a short drive away as well.

a3dhunter

WKR
My wife and I went up through Wyoming and into southern Montana at the end of September, then into southern Idaho and out into eastern Oregon.
Plenty of places I would consider coming from north Texas myself.
Some places I found nicer than others:
Bozeman
Idaho Falls
Boise

I have not been to Butte, Missoula, or Couer d'alene but would make a visit there before moving.

We are in Colorado Springs, but seriously considered Boise before choosing here, and it is still not out of the possibilities if jobs don't work out for us here.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I will go through a list of places in Wyoming just for general description, maybe help out a bit:

Rock Springs/Green River-Two very separate towns with economies that connect us(I live in RS). Most people in RS contemplate a house in GR at one point or another. Mining, and Natural Gas production drive things here, if you have a background in that you can find a job.

Pinedale- Great town with high priced homes. There are jobs there for those who don't mind working in the gas fields.

Big Piney- Gas/Agricultural, good hunting, very LOW population.

Lander-Don't know what drives the economy, but you are very close to the mountains, and some pretty cool areas. Smaller and a bit more isolated. Housing prices are pretty high.

Casper- Have family that live there, and spend a lot of time there because our state office is there. There are rumors that town is going to boom, contractors have a lot of work at the moment. The economy also tends to be a little more stable there based on a little bit higher population with decent jobs in town.

Sheridan/Buffalo/Bighorn/Story- Lumped all of these together. Agricultural in some regards, nice town close to mountains, Bighorns all get hit pretty hard hunting wise. Family friendly camping in a lot of spots though, but only one wilderness area.

I have omitted a few towns, somewhat on purpose.

OP
aggieland

aggieland

WKR
Plenty of Texas transplants in MT...sure you don't want to move to North Dakota?

Seriously though, I'd be pretty happy about anywhere in that circle you drew on the map.

Belly-deep, I can understand how you feel about folks moving in. I hope we would be the type of folks that fit in and work to keep the area we move to as it has been. Unlike the illegal aliens, thugs and governance leaches that are making my area a future dump.

OP
aggieland

aggieland

WKR
The wife and I will most likely be working in the medical field. She is an R.N. and i'm in radiology. But there are other fields that I can work in as well.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Based on all your requirements,
If I wanted to hunt elk and mule deer:
Ashton or Montpelier, Idaho
Star Valley, Wyoming
Whitefish, Montana
and wouldn't rule out SW Colorado

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats