Where would you move???

OP
aggieland

aggieland

WKR
Thanks guys, I have plenty of time to travel and made a decision. Always good to hear from people that share the same interest that I have.

rhendrix

WKR
If my wife's job allowed her to move (she's an internal auditor manager and makes twice what I do, I married way outta my league) we'd be outta Texas in a heart beat. I might have to drag her along kicking and screaming at first, but Texas ain't what it's all cracked up to be, maybe I can talk her into moving after the kids are out of the house. Just 16.5 more years. Ha!

Good luck with your search.

OP
aggieland

aggieland

WKR
If my wife's job allowed her to move (she's an internal auditor manager and makes twice what I do, I married way outta my league) we'd be outta Texas in a heart beat. I might have to drag her along kicking and screaming at first, but Texas ain't what it's all cracked up to be, maybe I can talk her into moving after the kids are out of the house. Just 16.5 more years. Ha!

Good luck with your search.

100% agree.

Check out Cody. Not as big as what you are looking for but what a great town. My wife and I were there for a week a couple years ago. Great people, no illegals, and everyone seemed friendly and conservative. Plus they have a rodeo every Friday night!
We are waiting until my wife retires so we can move out of the land of stupid people.

Bighorse

WKR
Ya, Alaska is too tough. You and your family couldn't tolerate it. There are Liberals everywhere. There is no good radiology jobs either. The access elements of hunting here make it too expensive.

Just check Alaska off your list. It's all just Wilderness overrun with game. You wouldn't want anything to do with that.

Look for a heavily populated area.......with a heap of Christians.

Bighorse, if Sitka ever needs a PACS admin/Imaging maintenance tech with tele-medicine experience and a Sonographer with echo experience let me know. The wife and I could work them a nice package deal!

OP
aggieland

aggieland

WKR
Bighorse, I have never visited Alaska and If I ever did I'm sure I would love it. But Just reading about Alaska's weather does seem like it would be rough. Then again it may be way better than what the "Folks on the internet" say it is. I think the more remote the better but my wife is not the 100% outdoor type, but we do plan to visit Alaska and see what its really like. I would love for you to tell me what it is really like where you live etc? I worked with a guy and his wife that are ER nurses and they sold everything and moved to Sitka a few weeks back. He had lived in Fairbanks for a few years 5-10 yrs ago so he knew what he was getting into etc..

Shrek

WKR
I'm looking to move to the mountain west in the spring after my son graduates high school. I am a CDL A truck driver with hazmat, tanker, and doubles and triples endorsements.I have a low CSA score and clean license. seasonal work from April to October would be great ! I'm going to hunt October through December and can come back to Florida and work the winter. If anybody knows of anything please let me know. I am an owner operator but my tractor would not be suited for mountain driving. For the right work I would look at buying another tractor but most likely would need a company truck. I have no problems with diverse types of people and can adapt to the local culture. I'm not looking for long haul , local or regional work only.Thanks.

I worked with a guy and his wife that are ER nurses and they sold everything and moved to Sitka a few weeks back. He had lived in Fairbanks for a few years 5-10 yrs ago so he knew what he was getting into etc..

Ha! That's like saying you know what Florida is like because you lived in Nova Scotia for a few years. I mean they are both on the east coast right?

Seriously, Fairbanks and Sitka are about as un-related as it's possible to get.

Forecast of Sitka tonight (where Bighorse lives) is +39 degrees and rain. Forecast in Fairbanks (where I live) is for -27 and clear... both normal for this time of year.

Alaska is a big state... and varies pretty wildly in climate types. Take your pick on weather.

Yk

bowuntr

WKR
This is an interesting thread... one that I missed. I'm almost in the same boat as aggieland... kinda. I retire in 2 years or less (50 years old) and will be leaving my liberal state as well. Packing the wife and kids up and will most likely land somewhere in the circle that aggieland drew. I can't be as remote though and would be living in a rural area outside a city with a major airport so I can send the family home to relatives while I hunt. I'm looking at Boise, Missoula, Bozeman and if I can streach it.... Cody. Please keep the information flowing... I'm heading back out there this spring. Trying to narrow things down... the clock is ticking. Ed F

HUNTMAN

FNG
i moved to the Missoula area in 99. It has all you ask for and a little more. In the town of missoula its a little wierd but only takes 15-20 mins to be out of town. Good luck . Let me know if you need a house built:)

txdblcab

FNG
I'm in the same boat aggieland. Little less on the time frome though. 3 years max. I was thinking CO close to where I hunt every year but man theres a lot of hippies there. Actually looked at Logan Utah, I have an MD buddy that moved there (Aggie Grad MD at that) and he keeps the bait going with elk in the back yard and fly fishing at lunch break.

bowuntr

WKR
Colorado is not to far from California with its ridiculous policies and law making. Not a good state to retire in. It used to be my #1.... now ill live somewhere else and still hunt Colorado. I just wish i'd draw my Co sheep and goat tag... almost 20 years in to it. Ed F

Shane

Lil-Rokslider
aggieland, I assume you're near Dallas?? Texas is still Texas when you get away from the big city. Dallas (or Houston or Austin) doesn't even resemble Texas anymore. Not at all. It's sad. But it's still Texas out here in West Texas. The mountain west is awesome, and If I were ever going to live somewhere other than home, that's where it would be. But there are just as many hippies there, if not more, than there are in Dallas. Probably the only place to go to get away from them would be Kansas or Nebraska.

I would like to move back to the Lewiston area... right now though I'm back in E. WA and got a different job offer out of John Day OR (not really looking, someone called me). Pretty area but don't think I can get excited about Oregon....

Mike

OP
aggieland

aggieland

WKR
I actually live about 3 hours East of Dallas/Ft. Worth. In a small town about 45 mins North of Longview, The demographics here are getting way different than they were even 10-15 years ago. And it's not just "White Flight" or whatever you want to call it that's not the only issue I have. Yes, West Texas still has a "Western" feel to it but as you mentioned above the bigger cities and here in East Texas it sucks. Hunting sucks, the weather in the summer is Brutal!! 95-105 deg almost all summer long. This place when I was a kid was what you would term the "Bible Belt" great people down to earth caring etc. Nowadays, it has changed so much I believe most of the good folks here will pass with the greatest generation then my parents the baby boomers are half what their parents were and my generation is even less.
I want a place that I can raise my children in an outdoor way of life Fishing, Hunting, Skiing, and the list goes on. Where I live now you can fish and hunt most of the hunting is no private land and I do have land to hunt but nothing like the public land In Montana, Idaho, etc. My dad will pitch a fit when I try to move away and leave but he was born and raised here with a very large family and will probably never leave, I was born and raised here as well but I also want to try and make a new life for my children. Who knows if I know what I'm doing but I feel its worth a shot.