Where you from and favorite birds?

CA. Live at the north end of one of the most productive ag valleys on the planet; and if you can stomach the politics, the water wars, and the incessant fires…..20min in any direction from the house is some of the best waterfowling, turkey, dove and quail hunting to be found anywhere. And not ALL of it is private, :). Fortunately, some of the aforementioned phenomena keep a good many from finding this out.

I'm from central Illinois. Got my first Griffon 3 yrs ago and we mostly go after pheasant. We travel to SD and IA to hunt public ground.

Attachments

• PXL_20210902_221531892.jpg
    PXL_20210902_221531892.jpg
    560.6 KB · Views: 19

TheGDog

WKR
SoCal. And if I'm being honest, I love whatever bird is on my plate and in my mouth! HaHA!

I really like the taste of Quail, then Duck, Dove is "alright" but ya kinda need to know what you're doing and the various recipes. I do like those Dove Popper though.

I don't like cleaning the Doves though. Must be allergic to their down or something... they make me itch make my skin crawl something fierce and make my sinuses go nuts!

I'm slowly getting the hang of Doves thru decoying them onto tree branches rather than relying upon on-the-wing shots only. I do both, but the on-the-wing fly-overs are very exasperating yet... At least until I get better with a shotgun. I'm much newer with shotgun, much more of a rifleman.

Quail I'm finding a bit tricky, but it's also because of the terrain at the location involved to, quite a bit of a slope to this certain location we were at. And damn they take off like rockets when they flush! Don't stay in the air long at all either! Fly just enough above the thick bushes to get to point B pronto. I really wish they'd let me take quail with like a .17 HMR though... I could totally get my limit no problemo doing it with rifle instead and just sniping them while they're working their way along the ground.

Unfortunately somebody invited me to go out with them to Wister too for Ducks... so now I'm committed to conquering that too and getting better at that as well.

I feel thankful for the bird opportunities to at least help satiate that need for taking game until you can finally get back around to deer/bear season again. Really enjoy this opener cause finally had my boy with me now. Had to wait for his maturity level and patience levels to be more tolerable for me to deal with, patience wise on my part. He was a bit of a whiner when he was little younger, so I knew I wouldn't have the patience to deal with it out there. This last time out was real fun and pleasant though. :)
20210911_111427.jpg

Washington state. Chukar are my favorite, but I do love a mixed bag.

Attachments

• 20191130_102918.jpg
    20191130_102918.jpg
    503 KB · Views: 20
  • 20190121_133841.jpg
    20190121_133841.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 20171210_132828.jpg
    20171210_132828.jpg
    564.1 KB · Views: 20

sfotiades

FNG
SE Wyoming and we hunt a fair amount of waterfowl and upland. Most of the upland are released birds but there are pockets of wild quail and grouse. Its a ton of fun when you can get on them.

zscott

FNG
Utah, so far I haven’t found something I like as much as chukar hunting. Something about miles of dry hot steep terrain for a small chance of success…

FLATHEAD

WKR
Down here on Mobile Bay.
I'm gonna go with Moorhen.
Plentiful and good to eat.
I'm actually looking for a Moorhen
and a Purple Gallinule to send to the
Taxidermist.

NebraskaStickHunter

Lil-Rokslider
FD3D121D-255A-40E4-B732-014781952E15.jpeg
I grew up in South Dakota and pheasants were everywhere now in Nebraska and they are nowhere so on to doves and waterfowl. My two GSP are great with doves and the kids have a blast too

East Texas. There is just something about ducks that is different from other birds. It can be very challenging but so rewarding. Mallards and pintails seem to be hardest to fool around here. But you have to love dove hunting in shorts and t-shirts and hanging out with buddies.

Western PA - spring gobbler and pheasants at our club. Just got back from duck hunting ND... get more fowl there in a day than a year in PA.

TripleJ

WKR
I'm from the southern Willamette Valley (Oregon). I really love decoying waterfowl, whether it be mallards or honkers or anything else, shooting them as they drop into the dekes is my favorite.

Nathen

FNG
I'm from Southern Arizona, my favorite birds to hunt are quail, I'm particular, Scaled Quail.