Where's the kryptek love.

LionHead

WKR
So I'm a kryptek fanboy, I like the pattern and their clothing features have worked well for me. Hands down favorite pieces are the Alaois pants, Dalibor jacket, and the older wool/spandex longsleeve. Ive worn em on every outing for 4 years, pre-season and hunting.

I feel like kryptek doesn't see much attention on the threads these days. There still coming out with new gear and They've recently started offering 3xl tops. I assume It was demand driven, Lord knows I sent a few emails asking for it.

But I was just told via email they stopped offering pants above 40" waist, which sucks considering 42" Alaois were my entry into kryptek 4 years ago when I was still a lean competitive athlete. I can still make the 42" work because they're stretchy but I'll be honest I'm not in the shape I was back then and wish for a 44" early and mid season pant

Any way the point is Demand drives supply. They didnt used to make tops above 2x now they offer 3x. Please share some love if you like Kryptek gear and if your not a little dude ask em to offer extended sizes. I know I'll keep asking till I get em or get skinny gain I guess.

Anyway thanks for listening

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

LightFoot

WKR
I feel you on sizining. I am not sure if I am disappointed that I'm too fat for some of the high-end companies or if I am motivated to drop 40 or 50 lbs.

Maybe both.

You are not alone.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Cat99899

FNG
After the Great Camo Debate of '09, I emerged a fan of Kryptek as well! I think their Altitude line is my favorite pattern but dang if it isn't pricey!

I think the company is struggling to maintain its identity as part of the hunting community. I like the pattern, but when companies like Sitka and Kuiu offer comparable if not better products for less, it's hard to continue supporting them. Hopefully they keep producing, but maybe that's why they're not as prevalent on the forum boards?

Last edited:

Throc

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a fan of Kryptek for their quality/price ratio. I've been using and collecting pieces for the past four years and finally have about every piece I need or want. It's good stuff and I've hunted a lot of very comfortable days in my Kryptek. If you wait for sales on the stuff, you can build out quite a system for a lot less than other high end brands.

HunterEng

FNG
I liked kryptek in the beginning....had quite a few items from them....but after my 2nd customer service issue...I'm out....this last one is ridiculous.....it has taken a month to get a pair of pants warranty (they showed up damaged) figured out. I still dont have a replacement.

twall13

WKR
My lone experience with kryptek customer service was a good one. My lykos jacket came with a hole in the pocket. I sent them photos and promptly received a second jacket. I patched the pocket myself and ended up with 2 jackets for the price of one.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Floorguy

WKR
Back before they had a Cabelas in Alaska I asked them on Facebook where I could check their stuff out at in Fairbanks (they advertised being based out of Fairbanks at the time) they PM'd me a phone number to make arrangements. So I asked the person on the phone if after 5 when I got off work would be ok and was told that if its after 5, I best be bringing beer. I obliged anatomy 5:30 that evening found my self walking into Butch Whitings house. He pulled boxes out and went over all the different items. I was probably there for 3 hours talking camo, gear, hunting and what upcoming things they had coming up. I got to meet his wife and daughter as well.

Needless to say, I am a fan of their gear.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Mosby

WKR
I have 2 Kryptek jackets and a mid layer that goes on every elk hunt with me. When it comes to pants, I buy First Lite. They come with suspenders and with an expandable waist, which is perfect for my old man physique.

Justin_the_EDG

Lil-Rokslider
My problem with buying Kryptek is that I have no idea what I'm getting if I place an order. I have a store in town that stocks 4-5 items, so I'm left online ordering anything I'm interested in, but they say very little about the pieces on their website.

Most brands, I can go to the specs/description on their site and get at least a ballpark idea of what a piece weighs, the fabric weight (thickness) and blend, perhaps a video detailing fit & features, breathability/waterproof ratings, suggested use cases and temperature range, etc. Sure, a lot of it is standard buzzword and marketing hype type language, but at least I have an idea of what the specs and features are.

Kryptek's product descriptions tell me that things were tested in Alaska, the fabric blend, that it's "100% waterproof", for "mild to cool" temps (whatever that means), has a bunch of pockets, and other vague statements. Without seeing it, I really know very little, so I end up shying away from ordering their stuff (I do have a Lykos 2 and like it, but really didn't know what I was getting into weight/warmth wise till it arrived.) It's not that I doubt their product quality, it's that I don't know where a piece might fit in my setup. Part of the lack of product awareness may also be the lower number of in-depth reviews and piece descriptions from "personalities" as well.

i love Kryptek's philosophy, the feel of their branding, and their camo, I just wish they educated me on what is what a little better as a customer. The Altitude line has somewhat better text descriptions, but the price tag is hard for me to justify.

sneaky

"DADDY"
After the Great Camo Debate of '09, I emerged a fan of Kryptek as well! I think their Altitude line is my favorite pattern but dang if it isn't pricey!

I think the company is struggling to maintain its identity as part of the hunting community. I like the pattern, but when companies like Sitka and Kuiu offer comparable if not better products for less, it's hard to continue supporting them. Hopefully they keep producing, but maybe that's why they're not as prevalent on the forum boards?
Sitka and Kuiu don't make anything with the same technical fabrics as in the Altitude line. The Takur rain gear blows anything Sitka and Kuiu make out of the water, and the Schoeller fabrics are well ahead of poly and nylon in durability and their DWR. I've worn about everything out there, you pay a premium for the Altitude gear but it's proven material, the pattern is nice but irrelevant to function.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
I liked kryptek in the beginning....had quite a few items from them....but after my 2nd customer service issue...I'm out....this last one is ridiculous.....it has taken a month to get a pair of pants warranty (they showed up damaged) figured out. I still dont have a replacement.
Sitka takes several months for warranty turn around depending on time of year. A month isn't the end of the world.

twall13

WKR
Started seeing the pattern at Walmart
That's because Kryptek licenses their patterns. Highlander patterns can be found on some really cheap, crappy gear. If it's actually made by Kryptek the quality us much better than most of the gear licensed to use the their patterns.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Started seeing the pattern at Walmart
You haven't seen the Altitude pattern at Walmart, and it's no different than Mossy Oak or Realtree licensing their patterns to companies that sell clothing at Walmart. If that was a drive by cheap shot keep trying.

rodney482

WKR
Thats true but I feel it was a mistake on their part.

You haven't seen the Altitude pattern at Walmart, and it's no different than Mossy Oak or Realtree licensing their patterns to companies that sell clothing at Walmart. If that was a drive by cheap shot keep trying.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Thats true but I feel it was a mistake on their part.
I don't know, it's cash flow, and that certainly can't hurt them. I just try to stay with the Kryptek manufactured stuff, and not the Huk or Nomad or Killik stuff. Too many variations in sizing across the board seems like. Pretty much those are limited to the Highlander and Typhon patterns, some of the mandrake at times.

BluMtn

WKR
I have several pieces of Kryptek clothing because I like the Highlander pattern for my hunting style. I like the browns because hunting on open hillsides in the fall you blend in to the terrain. I have a Vellus jacket that I have worn in -20 weather, I also wear the Vellus and Cadog 2 pants. I also have a selection of shirts. I have several other brands that I wear for different conditions but these are the ones I wear the most. Also I have sent them several Emails asking questions about their clothing as far as temp ratings and sizing and have always received a timely response.

kiddogy

WKR
I just ordered the kryptek mens cadog soft shell jacket it is on clearance sale right now for 116

mens vallhalla pants on sale for 50ish.
that's 50% off on each . some good deals right now

Last edited:

Cat99899

FNG
Sitka and Kuiu don't make anything with the same technical fabrics as in the Altitude line. The Takur rain gear blows anything Sitka and Kuiu make out of the water, and the Schoeller fabrics are well ahead of poly and nylon in durability and their DWR. I've worn about everything out there, you pay a premium for the Altitude gear but it's proven material, the pattern is nice but irrelevant to function.
The OP was asking why Kryptek wasn't as prevalent on the boards and I was offering a conjecture, wasn't trying to get into a debate as to what is best there Mr. Schrute and nowhere did I imply that. What I did imply is other companies have functionally similar offerings, often for significantly less, that are durable enough for the average hunter. In my opinion, Kryptek's marketing and pricing make it difficult for them to carve out a large following. As you point out, camo patterns are irrelevant to function so if the average hunter need / want a functional rain jacket that will last a few seasons, Kryptek probably isn't the first choice.

Trock03

FNG
I've got several pieces of Kryptek and have been mostly happy with them but won't be buying more any time soon. The pattern is great and I like the sizing but I'm sick and tired of every shirt and jacket being covered in zippers and Velcro.
I have an opportunity to buy Sitka at a big discount about twice a year so I'm converting over to Sitka. It's way overpriced but the materials and quality are amazing. Kryptek is nice but really not in the same league as Sitka.

TC