Where’s the place to buy land out west

In terms of price per acre somewhere with elk and mule deer where do y’all think is the best value to buy right now.

What do y’all think an idea minimum amount of acreage would be to effectively hunt on property if it wasn’t adjacent to anything public

Northpark

WKR
At least a couple sections. Ideally river bottom habitat. Figure at least 3-4K per acre. Probably doesn’t matter much which state all land in the west is expensive. There’s an 80 acre piece for sale down the road with an old barely functional house for $1.2 million right now.

OP
A
Hunting and recreation . Don’t have the money to do it now anyways. I’m kind of torn. I can buy about 50 acres in Texas to build forever home on right now which would ensure kids grow up around animals and have chores as well as somewhere to bow hunt or put up 1-2 rifle stands . If I do this probably would be 15 years before I could afford 2-3 sections out west.

other option would be move into cookie cutter house in suburban hell and save move for 5 years, then buy 2-3 sections in NM, then probably have to continue living in suburban hell for 10 more years . With busy work schedule suspect would be able to make it out to NM for 1 weekend a month most months and maybe a full week several times a year during season end summer.

prices I’m seeing are around 1.75-2.5 million for 2-3.5 sections . Based on the pictures though large elk herds and 3-6 landowner bull tags

Of course who knows what situation will be when I’m actually ready to buy, I’m sure it will go up but I’m pretty sure the area I will be living the prices will climb faster than the prices in rural NM will

go_deep

WKR
Hunting and recreation . Don’t have the money to do it now anyways. I’m kind of torn. I can buy about 50 acres in Texas to build forever home on right now which would ensure kids grow up around animals and have chores as well as somewhere to bow hunt or put up 1-2 rifle stands . If I do this probably would be 15 years before I could afford 2-3 sections out west.

other option would be move into cookie cutter house in suburban hell and save move for 5 years, then buy 2-3 sections in NM, then probably have to continue living in suburban hell for 10 more years . With busy work schedule suspect would be able to make it out to NM for 1 weekend a month most months and maybe a full week several times a year during season end summer.

prices I’m seeing are around 1.75-2.5 million for 2-3.5 sections . Based on the pictures though large elk herds and 3-6 landowner bull tags

Of course who knows what situation will be when I’m actually ready to buy, I’m sure it will go up but I’m pretty sure the area I will be living the prices will climb faster than the prices in rural NM will

Sounds like you already knew the answer to your question....

OP
A
Yeah I know what it’s going for in the places I’ve looked. Just wondering if there’s anywhere substantially cheaper than that with good hunting. I know NE NM is solid hunting and I feel that is a fair price from what I’ve seen. One of the few places for me that is driving distance in 1 day as well. Just wondering what other people have seen out there

tdhanses

WKR
I bought 4 acres with a direct view of a 14er and few neighbors, will build on it in the next 10 years as a spring-fall place to get out of the heat. I’ll just hunt public and do a few outfitted hunts, many ways to look at it if hunting is the end goal, for me having a place in the mountains was the end goal, hunting is just a bonus.

I'd lean towards the 50 acres at home and give the kids some elbow room if that's on the table, we're working our way towards that goal. You can probably buy your way into some good hunting for what the interest would be on a good chunk of land out west, or just do the public land thing. I grew up with land to roam and I'm hoping to be able to give that to my kids as well, I'd rather see them get home from the school bus and go hit the woods than the alternative.

OP
A
Yeah more than likely I will go with 30-50 acres to live on. Should have very good waterfowl hunting if I develop it right and busting a few mallards and pintails is always a good way to spend a casual Saturday morning. Would be enough land to bow hunt and set up 1 good rifle stand which would ensure the kids would always have somewhere to go. Could still go on a guided mule deer or elk trip a year , have a deer lease in Texas for far less than payments would be on 3-4 sections in elk country.

still the dream though someday. Will be a long time though and gotta cross my fingers that prices don’t inflate to bad because I wouldn’t be surprised if my pay actually doesn’t go down the longer I work

IMO, Buy land where you can live/hunt at the same time. spend the other $ on some outfitted trips or tons of public land tags.

OP
A
Yeah, for now it will likely be something I can live on , have cows and goats on for the kids, and a place to sit in a deer stand though I don’t expect the deer hunting to be good.

I know for a fact though if I set up the correct system of ponds, plant the right stuff in them or near them that I should have very good duck and possibly some goose hunting.

may even consider planting 3-4 acres of maize or corn in a low lying area after pumping it dry or planting some right up to the edge of a pond.

one nice thing about waterfowl hunting is that multiple rugrats can be in the blind without it totally screwing your hunt up. When I was a little kid I wonder why my dad always came back with a deer on the few days he was able to sneak away without me being totally in shambles that he went to the deer lease without me, now as a dad I understand why he was always successful when I wasn’t around !